Author Topic: Dystopian society.  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Dystopian society.
« on: September 08, 2016, 09:45:04 pm »
I'm a big fan of bookstores. :) I love walking into them and walking through all the aisles viewing various selections of books. Usually one of the first categories I'll view is the science fiction area. Over the last several years, I've noticed a trend in sci-fi. Well, maybe not the last several years, but more like the last several dozen decades.  :P Seems to me that more and more books (and sci-fi films) have a dystopian story/plot in them. Don't know what dystopia means? Read it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dystopia

I do like reading or watching stories about post-apocolyptic societies, survival, and such. But it seems to me that it is getting more and more and more frequent lately. Why? Why are we so obsessed with our own downfall and destruction? I never really understood this. My mother always used to say: "The more you worry about something, the more it will happen."

So, are we doomed to destroy ourselves by various means? I like sci-fi books and films, but I just wish there was a bit more of an "upbeat" to the stories written instead of focusing on all the negativity, know what I mean? But if we are so obsessed about our own destruction and there being an apocolypse, then why not just get it done and over with? Destroy everything. Then we can start over fresh and anew and hopefully build a better world. :)

But of course, who would want any type of dystopian society? Nothing good would come of it.  :P All you'd end up with is:
Millions or billions of people dead.
Endless warfare due to various means.
Lack of food, water, electricity, and other basic supplies.
Poor sanitation.
Lack of medicine and other health care.
Thugs, Vandals, Gangs, Bandits, etc.
Rioting
Looting
Mass shootings
Mass crime of various types.
Outbreaks of diseases and other illnesses.
Pollution
Lawlessness
Extortion
Black Markets
Slavery
Prostitution
Theft
Piracy
Environmental and ecological disasters.
Economic downfalls.
Resource shortages like oil, natural gas, etc.
Bombings and burnings.
Race and religious wars.
..........etc., etc., etc.

Or let me ask this: Is the world already in a dystopian mode? Or has the human race not come to that point yet?

And lastly, Is there any hope for our species and the world to better ourselves?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:15:08 pm by Kobuk »

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
Re: Dystopian society.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 02:42:57 am »
i have a feeling humanity will be fine for awhile, we are pretty far for the whole dystopian society thing.

im  not sure but it might have something to do with our natural want to be surviving. like we are kinda driven by the same things most animals are but we were smart enough to get away from the whole natural selection and dangers of nature. even though we have a modern society we still have those natural instincts/thoughts. iv noticed that i feel kinda out of places here since many things i think about are mostly survival related.

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:46:51 am »
^

I agree. I think it is in our wiring to some degree. Even in non-dystopian fiction, the "juicy" part is almost always the part where everything goes wrong.

Recently, a facebook friend (who is a brilliant artist and animator) asked "do you ever get the feeling we're living in a dystopian society?" I replied that if you can question whether you're living in a dystopian society without troops breaking your door down and dragging you away, you're probably not living in one. She replied back that I didn't know what dystopian meant, although she never said what she thought it meant. I always associate it with "Big Brother" and the idea that criticizing the society is not acceptable. I mentioned this discussion to another friend, who asked "What about 'Brave New World'?" but I had already thought of that and had an answer ready - "Well, maybe they wouldn't arrest you, but they would at least spray you with some 'soma.'"

Dystopian stories explore what it might be like if our current problems are carried out to their worst possible conclusions. I think they're best viewed as cautionary tales, not to be taken literally, although some people do. On YouTube, I ran across an old propaganda cartoon from the 1940s, in which a salesman selling "ism" (which could represent fascism or communism) corrupts America. The poster of the cartoon claimed that it accurately predicted how things are today. One of the cartoon's claims was that the media would be replaced with a repeating record saying "Everything is fine. Everything is fine." Which, to me, is the exact opposite of what the news media is like today.

The recent Disney film "Tomorrowland" addressed the idea that being obsessed with our own destruction is what actually winds up causing it. Unfortunately, I don't think it was a very good film for various reasons, but it was an interesting concept. The film also suggests that the future was viewed more optimistically when George Clooney's character was younger, in the 1960s. However, if you watch "The Twilight Zone" or read science fiction from that period, you'll see that they often focus on the threat of nuclear war. The more optimistic view, represented in "Tomorrowland" by the '64/'65 New York World's Fair and the song "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow", was basically a response to the grimmer possible future that many people believed was going to happen. While the threat of nuclear war is still around, it doesn't have the grip on our cultural consciousness that it did back then. In some ways, environmental worry has taken its place. The (terrible) remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" replaced the nuclear commentary of the original with an environmental message.

Another facebook friend of mine recently wrote a post that started out defending the younger generation against criticism, and somehow wound up arriving at the phrase "our dying planet." While I said nothing, I was thinking, "call me when it's about to explode, then I'll accept that as an accurate description."

Just speculating, but here's another possible reason that the end of the world remains such a popular idea - I think some people are uncomfortable with the idea that the world will keep going on without them after they die. So in a way, the idea that it will end along with them is a sort of comfort to them.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:11:05 am by animagusurreal »

DA         FA

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 09:10:07 am »
Just speculating, but here's another possible reason that the end of the world remains such a popular idea - I think some people are uncomfortable with the idea that the world will keep going on without them after they die. So in a way, the idea that it will end along with them is a sort of comfort to them.

yep that seems like another reasonable thought. we all kinda view things just from our selves, and we kinda seem like the center of everything (even though there are many different things/stories going on around you)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 10:53:55 am »
It does appear humanity is moving toward more conflict, Nationalism, conservatism.

I could be wrong, but I think much of it is people feel things in the past were better, More
controlled, simpler. So they push to return to it. Trouble is the past wasn't better, people
tend to remember or see what they like, instead of what is true.

To sell  novels authors have to write what the public wants. Conflict keeps the pages turning
Disaster does too. Otherwise it's boring to many readers. Even romantic novels need conflict.
though it might only be internal. Arther C. Clark wrote si fi that was more about people than
physical conflict, but he added enough to keep it interestin

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:58:19 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 05:17:12 pm »
Just my observation, but this phenonomena seems to surface during certain administrations. Under JFK, there was Civil Defense, fallout shelters, and backyard bomb shelters. Under Carter, there was the survivalist movement with "survival" rifles, food storage, survival shelters, etc. With Clinton, there was the militia movement with more of the same. Y2K is a faded memory now, but sales of gas-powered generators skyrocketed.

Now it's the preppers. I hear radio ads for freeze-dried meals with 25-year shelf-life, or sales of machines that allow you to make your own. Then there are the magazines and magazine articles. Like setting up a bug-out bike, because you computer-controlled car could be rendered inoperative by an EMP set off at high altitude from ships sailing off our coasts. How to barter and trade. Then there's the ads for buying gold and silver as a hedge against economic collapse.

There's been stories of superbugs, ebola, zika, pestilence, killer bees, power outages, economic collapse, and zombie apocalypse. Try to take it all with a grain of salt. Floods, blizzards, earthquakes, tornados, and rainstorms are things many of us have dealt with and can prepare for.
Still--it doesn't hurt to have an emergency plan, some supplies, or a bug-out bag--packed and ready to go.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 01:19:55 pm »
There have always been those who feel Armageddon is just around the corner.  Predictions of
gloom and doom. Everyone should keep a weeks supply of food and water on hand.

People tend to be more re active than pro active. So they fuss when the government doesn't
do this or that, but didn't support those who wish to be prepared. Or even do any preperation
themselves..
oldrabbit.com

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 08:43:41 pm »
The closest event I can think of that would be even close to the thought of a "dystopian society" would be the bubonic plague from the 1300s where over 33% of the population of the known world at that time perished.  You couldn't do anything about it.  Those that happened to have some sort of immunity would be the ones to survive.  The survivors picked up the pieces and you eventually move into the Renaissance Era.  Other than that, I can't come up with a single time where a large chunk of humanity is in danger and you just got to hope for the best.  I don't see us even close to a situation like a dystopian society would create.  It makes for good science fiction, but its still fiction in my opinion. ;) 
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 02:49:45 pm »
Actually, maybe a dystopian society wouldn't be all that bad. Particuarly if it was a catastrophe with little or no government, millions or billions dead, etc., etc.

Think about it. You'd have:
No laws, rules, or especially taxes.
Do whatever you want, whenever you want, and however you want.
Loot whatever stores you like for clothes and other supplies. Don't have to pay for anything.
Can drive whatever you want, wherever you want, and however you want. No road rules!
.......and so much more.  :D

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 03:10:55 pm »
You would also be at constant risk of other people murdering you off for next to no reason, having to scavenge for every little thing, and having no health care :p

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 03:56:18 pm »
You would also be at constant risk of other people murdering you off for next to no reason, having to scavenge for every little thing, and having no health care :p

Well, if anybody tries taking my Mountain Dew, I'll blow their damn head off!  :goldpissed:

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Male
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 07:27:39 pm »
I fail to see what is positive about anarchy.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 07:29:50 pm »
I fail to see what is positive about anarchy.

You wouldn't have to pay taxes anymore.

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Male
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 07:50:16 pm »
I think not paying taxes would be the least of your problems.  See what happened to western Europe after the Roman Empire collapsed. ;)

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 12:21:05 am »
good things about not having a government would be being able to keep/have what ever you want if you are strong/smart enough. all of your work translates directly back to you (no taxes to pay). those are some of the good things about anarchy.

in the case of anything like that i'd likely try to bring order back to a small area/population. would be difficult but i feel that my family is a little better off than most people here, and my brother is able to create a large range of crazy things that could be useful.

btw kobuk over time we will run out of Mountain Dew... so i guess it might be a good idea to find out where one of their production facilities is.