Author Topic: The Monkees Plus 50  (Read 936 times)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
The Monkees Plus 50
« on: September 12, 2016, 10:28:01 pm »
It was on this date in 1966 that NBC launched The Monkees as part of their Saturday morning lineup. The show was about a rock band in the style of The Beatles' from A Hard Day's Night, IIRC. There was Mickey Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork--Davy Jones was the only Brit in the group. Despite being a made up band, they had a number of hit songs, like Stepping Stone, Daydream Believer, and Last Train To Clarksville. I think Neil Diamond did some of the songwriting. There were records, comic books, lunchboxes, and a model kit of their customized Pontiac.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:34:19 pm by Rocket T. Coyote »
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
Re: The Monkees Plus 50
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 12:20:30 am »
I'm a big fan of their music. They had some great songwriters working for them, including their own Michael Nesmith.

I used a couple of their songs during my days of doing YouTube music videos with my artwork:

"Can You Dig It?":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj9hvMNERVk

"As We Go Along":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8RncDl_lFs

I once met Micky Dolenz briefly at the premiere of a movie about Harry Nilsson, who also wrote some of their music. Dolenz was very entertaining onstage introducing the film, but afterwards I tried to talk to him, and he was not very friendly. I'd understand if he was trying not to be noticed, but he was wearing a white suit and fedora - he definitely wanted people to notice him!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:23:39 am by animagusurreal »

DA         FA

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 10:22:39 pm »
A made-for-tv band.  I've known for quite some time, the Monkees didn't actually play their instruments, and they were all studio session players.  I think the only one that could honestly carry a tune was Davy Jones.  Very surprising the show lasted as long as it did, and this group is as popular as it was.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 10:32:39 am »

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 10:56:48 pm »
Apparently, there were two customized Pontiac GTOs used in the television series.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 11:07:08 am »
The monkeys and many other famous bands flurished during the 60's and after. I am sure
many enjoyed their music. I wish them a good 50'th aniversery. :orbunny:

I never kept up with the famous bands of the late 50's  or 60's Even though I was teenager
then.. I never cared much for the rock n roll style of music.  I was a fan of 40's jazz, and the big
bands of that era. I never cared for dancing either. Just an old stick in the mud I guess.  :D

I suppose it's becase I always enjoyed instrumental and classical music over singers. Though I did
like a few singers like Doris Day, Nat King Cole, and Jim Neigbors..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:23:18 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 11:43:19 pm »
I was very young when The Monkees were on television for the first time and remember little of the show to be honest. Like the musical segments where a girl in a bunny costume would disappear behind a desk, then Peter would emerge wearing the same costume. The 60s were a turbulent and exciting time. Civil unrest, the War in SE Asia, MLK and Kennedy assassinations, and the Space Race. I considered The Monkees to be a sort of live-action cartoon.
(Baps the old humorist.)