Author Topic: Why the lables?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Why the lables?
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:38:19 pm »
Is it better to just do away with lables completely? The whole Presidential campaigning, debates, inauguration, and also the Congress in Washington D.C., has made me think that all that the lables of "Republican, Democrat, Conservative, Liberal" and a few others ever do is make people more divisive against one another.  :( Maybe it's time to get rid of these lables. What we really are is AMERICANS first and foremost.  ;)

Why do we even need a Republican and Democratic parties? All they ever do is argue and fight with one another. Nothing ever gets done.  :P Isn't it time we abolished the Republican and Democratic parties? Why even have a separate House and Senate portions of Congress?

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Why the lables?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 06:01:46 pm »
People label everything. Human nature is tribal - Us vs Them. You're never going to be able to do away with them.

You might as well say why not get rid of the concept of Americans altogether, we're all human after all. It's not going to happen.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:38:24 pm »
@kobuk its because usually democrats/liberals (hillary's side) are pushing for alot more foreign aid and money leaving our country while republican/conservatives (trump's side) are pushing more for money/jobs staying in america.

in other words republicans are the ones saying we need to take care of our selves first while the democrats are saying we need to help everyone.

while the republicans method of doing things and what they sometimes say is disturbing/undesirable they do seem like what you are talking about which is we are all Americans, and they are pushing for us to be unified. hell my viewpoints and opinions point towards far left liberal but iv been siding with the republicans lately since i agree with what they say which is he need to take care of our selves first, and unification while the democrats/liberals are doing the whole "us vs them" thing with labeling them selves as black, lgbt, etc. the whole race issues were kinda gone awhile ago yet the left still bring them up and whatever.

some labels are useful but only if you can manage them correctly. so far the left is doing horrible at that.

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:46:57 pm »
Why do we even need a Republican and Democratic parties?
Because they represent differing and often outright conflicting interests of the population. The purpose of voting for parties in a democratic society is, broadly speaking, to decide in a somewhat fair manner which interests are more important.

Why even have a separate House and Senate portions of Congress?
Because if opposing representatives can veto each other, they can be forced to come to some sort of compromise on issues, ensuring representation of minority interests too. Otherwise you basically just have a dictatorship where you elect a new dictator every so often.

I thought they taught this in school?

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:17:40 am »
While I'm no fan of partisan politics, sadly, abolishing the labels wouldn't abolish the biases behind them. (Not to mention: wouldn't it violate free speech?) 

I can just imagine what would happen if there was an attempt to abolish the parties...

REPUBLICAN PARTY: Clearly, this is a plot by the Democrats to silence us so they can establish a DICTATORSHIP! We must fight against them even harder than before! Anyone who doesn't is a traitor!!!

DEMOCRATIC PARTY: Clearly, this is a plot by the Republicans to silence us so they can establish a DICTATORSHIP! We must fight against them even harder than before! Anyone who doesn't is a traitor!!!

POLITICAL INDEPENDENT AND/OR NONVOTER: This is ridiculous.

BOTH PARTIES: This is somehow all your fault for not voting how we thought you should have!

DA         FA

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 10:42:57 am »
Labels are handy, it's when we use them to run people or something down
is when they are bad. It's doubtful we will ever change.

Government is a battlefield of ideas. The Congress of the USA is about
representing the people who elect them. The USA Senate is supposed to
balance the opinons of the population with reality. They shouldn't get
caught up in politics, but they like us are imperfect humans, so we have
to kick them out if they forget why they are there. Congress and Senate
both.

Polictical parties are national clubs of people with different ideas. They
use their power as a group to try to make the changes they want.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:00:47 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 12:25:44 pm »
I'm a furry. That's a label.
I'm a singer/songwriter musician. That's a label.
I'm a gray muzzle. That's a label.
I love being angry. That's a problem.... : )
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 12:19:06 am »
I like to know what's in a package before I buy it, take it home, and open it up. It wouldn't be nice to have purchased something unpleasant, like rap music.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)