Author Topic: Ubuntu WiFi on Macbook  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
Ubuntu WiFi on Macbook
« on: April 05, 2017, 03:06:21 pm »
I found myself with another old macbook on my hands recently, and since I hate El Capitan (Latest OS the thing can handle from Apple) I installed Ubuntu. I'm still getting used to it, but I am having trouble getting the wifi to work. It's like it (wifi) won't even turn on. Any ideas?
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kaiden

• Species: Acinonyx Jubatus (Cheetah)
  • Male
Re: Ubuntu WiFi on Macbook
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 04:07:27 pm »
I've had this problem before, I think it has to do with a certain package, but I can't remember its name.

You'll just have yo use LAN over WiFi for now.
Every now and then...

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 11:48:18 pm »
You need to install the firmware microcode for your wireless card. Apple AirPort uses the Broadcom 43xx chipset (I think), so you want the firmware-b43-installer package.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 12:01:05 pm »
Thank-you! I currently cannot use an Ethernet connection (I use my phone for internet), but when I get somewhere I can I'll give it a go. Thank you so much!
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson