Author Topic: Patriotism.  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Patriotism.
« on: September 30, 2017, 03:37:26 pm »
What is patriotism?
What does it mean to be a patriot and be patriotic?

These, and other questions, are being asked and argued by lots of people all over the U.S. in the wake of the NFL/National Anthem controversy. So to the Furtopians here on the forums.........
What does patriotism mean to you?
How "patriotic" are you?
And do you think people should be "forced" (Enforcing rules, laws, etc.) to be patriotic (Singing national anthem, standing for Pledge of Allegiance, hand over heart, etc., etc.) ?

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Patriotism.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 04:31:01 pm »
I'm not patriotic, nor do I think it should be enforced. By all means, be patriotic if you want, but don't hurt others or expect them to do the same.

I prefer celebrating decent individuals and ideas over arbitrary boundaries on rocks and games of "my country is better than yours".

Humans are good at finding ways to claim their group is better than another group, and patriotism done wrong can just further the idea of "us vs them" and push people apart.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:34:29 pm by Loc »

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 05:16:22 pm »
Patriotism simply means you love your country of birth.  Unfortunately it can also be a tool used to control the people of that same country. In this case some people are using it to berry the meaning of the anthem protests. Taking the protests away from what they are really about. And drowning that message with patriotism.

In truth the people effected by racial discrimination are Americans. So if your were a true patriot you would do what ever you could to protect your fellow countrymen. That is true patriotism.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 10:31:59 pm »
Patriotism means standing by one's country, not necessarily the leader--to paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt.\

As for the protesting, it's free speech, but do it on your own time. NFL players are well paid to play a game and folks are paying hard-earned money to see it played. The NFL will loose revenue as long as this political theater continues. This balderdash doesn't happen at hockey games btw.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:42:36 pm by Rocket T. Coyote »
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 10:51:36 pm »
This balderdash doesn't happen at hockey games btw.

I have a modeling friend who said the same thing. But give it time. If it can happen in the NFL, NBA, and I've heard it happen at high school events too..........then it'll be just a matter of time before it hits other sports. ;)

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 11:33:45 pm »
The NFL will loose revenue as long as this political theater continues.

Economics seems to be getting the message across fairly loudly to the NFL, too. I don't think any laws should be passed. It is freedom of speech after all. The whole "talk with your wallet" phrase is true, and here is proof of it.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 01:15:35 pm »