Author Topic: Cathode Ray Tubes  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Mylo

Cathode Ray Tubes
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »
Does anyone here use cathode ray tube monitors or televisions?

Offline Luku

• "Tell 'em I said something cool."
  • Male
Re: Cathode Ray Tubes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:24:24 pm »
Uh, yeah! Can't beat old reliable CRT. Retro games (or as we call them in our house, "games") just don't look right on modern TVs.

I had a monitor that enjoyed daily use from 1999 to 2012, which certainly ain't bad. (:

Offline Jackie

• Species: Sherbet Red Panda
  • Be Wild...
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
We have the monitor from an old IBM in my grandfather's room, it glows ever so slightly in the dark ^-^

Currently I have a rear projection screen television, but I do like CRT's ^^
* The bear guy * "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip." ~ Henry McCarty ^_~

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:09:15 pm »
eeeyup, people will give them away free on occasion, why wouldn't I?
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:49:47 pm »
Because CRTs are particularly vulnerable to van Eck phreaking, making them totally unsuitable for high security applications (but unusually suitable for pirate radio broadcasting).

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 10:57:42 pm »
Because CRTs are particularly vulnerable to van Eck phreaking, making them totally unsuitable for high security applications (but unusually suitable for pirate radio broadcasting).

I have 8 in my closet that I got free and what is "van Eck phreaking"?
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 11:50:46 pm »
I have 8 in my closet that I got free and what is "van Eck phreaking"?
A form of eavesdropping named after the Dutch researcher Wim van Eck, the first person after the NSA to invent it. Since the electron guns in a CRT operate at high voltage and high frequency, they emit an intense electromagnetic field, which can be picked up by an AM receiver tuned to pixel frequency (25-100MHz depending on your resolution and refresh rate). Add synchronisation pulses and the result (a live TV broadcast of what's displayed on your monitor) can be displayed by an ordinary analogue TV set. Range can be up to several hundred metres with a good antennae.

You can also have some fun with this. The FCC may not approve, but by displaying the right images on your monitor, you can transmit an audio broadcast that can be picked up by an ordinary AM radio on the frequency of your choosing. Don't try this at home.

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 12:04:38 am »
sounds like fun

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 03:14:23 am »
Yep, the laptop i'm using has one!  :D

Nah, but i do use one on a regular basis as the main TV, pretty big too.  Recently it's had some weird flickering issues, but it hasn't been a real problem yet.

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 04:23:16 am »
Amber or green?

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 11:11:02 am »
Amber or green?

:o

I had no idea...

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 12:11:28 pm »
I have 3 crt monitors, and 2 crt television sets. I still use
one 19" crt flat screen monitor. Yes it's flat with glass thats
at least 1/2 " thick. Everything else is regular flat screens.
Monitor or Tv.  I need to get rid of some of them.  :D

oldrabbit.com

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 12:02:18 am »
Retro games (or as we call them in our house, "games") just don't look right on modern TVs.
Atari 2600 on an old black and white TV that was going out so the image was vertically squished slightly, and then over time squished more and more until the image was little more than a line across the screen.  "The good old days".  :P

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 12:18:35 pm »
When I was a kid our TV had all vacuum tubes, no transisitors. So usually a new
plug in tube would fix the horizontal or virtical.

Could say that was the good ole days too. But one could meet their end if they got into
the 20k volt supply. On wonders if such a device would even be allowed these days. :P
oldrabbit.com

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 01:59:32 am »
Could say that was the good ole days too. But one could meet their end if they got into
the 20k volt supply.
One still can. They're not called electron guns because they shoot harmless pixie dust, after all.

Quote from: The First Commandment for Technicians
Beware the lightning that lurketh in the undischarged capacitor, lest it cause thee to bounce upon thy buttocks in a most untechnician-like manner.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 12:23:19 pm »

Quote from: The First Commandment for Technicians
Beware the lightning that lurketh in the undischarged capacitor, lest it cause thee to bounce upon thy buttocks in a most untechnician-like manner.

The capacitor built into the cathode ray tube has probably caused
more injury or death to an amateur/hobby tech than any other
capacitor in a device for home use. It's good they are going away.

One of my first shocks came from a capacitor. My dad was into
Amateur Radio, and liked to build the equipment he used. He had
me hold some solder to a terminal, and zap  :o  I got bit. I don't
think he did it on purpose, but it sure got my attention.  :D

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:38:37 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline weese

• In ur Screen, likin' ur pixelz!
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 05:57:22 am »
I still have a CRT TV in my living room. Granted it is a wide screen HD one (720p it claims) made by Samsung. It has an ok picture. The bottom 1/8th of the screen is showing only black, though. :c
My fur code:
FCft3a A-- C- D H+ M? P++ R T+++ W- Z- Sm- RL- a- cl++ d-- e- f h* i++ j p+++ sm-.      <-- Is outdated.

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 12:28:25 pm »
I like not having my eyes melted out of my head by the 65MHz-72MHz refresh rate on most monitors CRT monitors, the TV's are okay because they generally have a much higher refresh rate. We have a CRT TV that's pretty good and we got it for free so I'm not gonna complain. Though I use LED monitors, and it works just fine for what I need.
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru

Offline CodeSquirrel

• Species: Gray squirrel or something
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 12:57:13 pm »
65MHz-72MHz refresh rate

I believe you mean 60-75 Hz, but I get what you mean…I don't like it when CRTs are set to a low refresh rate, either. :P

TV's are okay because they generally have a much higher refresh rate.

Actually, the main reason CRT television sets are less flickery than CRT computer monitors is because they use an interlaced scanning mode, which means they scan every other line on each scan cycle, alternating "fields" with each vertical refresh (i.e. lines 1, 3, 5, etc. are scanned in on one refresh, and lines 2, 4, 6, etc. on the next).  Human persistence of vision makes it so that this alternating pattern of interleaving lines appears as a solid, consistent picture. :3

Computer monitors (both CRTs and LCDs) are "progressive-scan" devices, meaning they scan one line at a time, thus making for a more flickery display in the case of the CRT.  LCDs, on the other hand, don't suffer from this problem because each line refresh is merely changing the state of each pixel, rather than lighting it (since the light is provided from a backlight, and the LCD panel itself is simply blocking/polarizing it to produce the colors you see).

One interesting artifact you might notice, if you look carefully enough, is that on an LCD monitor, if there's smooth motion, and you track it with your eyes, you may see a bit of squishing and/or shearing, with the "trailing" edge of the animated object/scene being on the side of the display where the raster scan ends.  This is again due to persistence of vision; we see parts of new animation frames being scanned out to the display, but not for long enough to really distinguish them as whole images, so they get mixed with parts of the previous frame, etc., etc., to create a blended image that's "shearing" or being "squished/stretched"…I hope that made some kind of sense. xP

As for my 2¢ on the topic at hand…I actually don't have a CRT myself, but I would kill for one if it had support for a decent refresh rate (at least 70 Hz), and were widescreen (I don't care what you say about vertical display area…I've grown used to the 16:9/10 format, and it feels weird going back to a "standard" 4:3 aspect ratio :P)…yes, widescreen CRTs like that do exist, but they're insanely expensive, AFAIK…mainly geared for professional use in graphic design and such, due to the wider color gamut CRTs can also provide.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:15:55 pm by CodeSquirrel »