Author Topic: Expressing furriness in public.  (Read 11425 times)

Offline The Fox Man

• Species: Fox
  • Back and better than ever :3
  • Male
Expressing furriness in public.
« on: December 02, 2015, 12:50:09 am »
Ok. I don't have the money to get all the furry accessories, and I have to admit I'm really shy about the whole furry thing, but what do you guys think about expressing furryness in public (tail, ears, etc.) :D

Offline Pix

• Species: Kitsune Yōkai
  • Male
Re: Expressing furriness in public.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 01:14:05 pm »
I'm in the same boat here i always think that people would respond badly but id b intrested to find out how it would go
Errrr were do I go now ..... oh right

also with my species look up Kitsune on wikkipedia coz ther is also a charactor name it

Offline Kaiden

• Species: Acinonyx Jubatus (Cheetah)
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 06:06:50 am »
I know some people will wear a kind of choker or leash, or literally a dog collar. A fancy necklace can sometimies look like one.

A former friend of mine wore a cats bell once. Looked so cute!

Other than that, you could always wear furry themed socks.
Sure no one would notice immediately, but it would satisfy (partially) the need to wear something furry in public.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 03:51:51 am by Kaiden »
Every now and then...

Offline Annie1456

• Species: An anthro husky named Pastel
  • Yellow Yellow!
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 11:08:44 am »
Well, I normally wear a collar, and sometimes ears in public,  and all I get are complemnts and questions.
-Annie or Pastel
-She/her
-Been here since 2015 but trying to be active again.

Offline Pix

• Male
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 02:57:23 pm »
well this has already helped me out  :)

also with my species look up Kitsune on wikkipedia coz ther is also a charactor name it

Offline Dontaru

• Species: Silver Fox
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 03:44:25 am »
I walk around with a Fox ear hat on most the time at my university and some other places.(about the only time I don't wear the hat is at work) I have gotten a wide range of reactions to it ranging from What in the world is that on your head?(I changed up this one a bit to be more family friendly) to people saying it looks cool and even some asking where they could get one. Although I don't wear it to see people react I simply wear it because I want to.(At some point I may even walk around with Fox ears and a fox tail but that requires me buying those first)

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 04:13:10 am »
I wear my tails when walking the dogs sometimes and get no reactions at all.

Offline Honey Bun

• Species: Bunny
  • Scurry Furry Fury!
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 05:48:12 pm »
I'm more likely to wear stuff at home than out and about, unless someone's doing it with me. :P

I'll draw furry art in public. All my art is sfw, so I don't see any problem with it.

Most of the time when I'm out, I'll just imagine that I'm my sona, and I'll kind of "cast" people as different anthro species as I go along. Makes me feel more involved as a furry, and no one ever has to know. XP
*hops away*

Offline Literate Lycan

• Species: Gothic grey wolf
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 02:51:59 am »
I don't own ears or a tail and wouldn't wear them in public if I did.

However, I do have a collection of t-shirts with animal images--mostly wolves, but also eagles, foxes, ravens, and even a tribal-styled dragon. Anyone who knows me knows that I wear those shirts frequently and have for years. I alternate between animal-themed shirts and ordinary t-shirts from places and events I've been to. No one has ever connected my animal-image shirts with anything related to furry fandom, and I'm perfectly content to leave it that way.
"All stories are about wolves..." -- Margaret Atwood, "Blind Assassin"

Avatar by Blitzy Arts : www.blitzy-arts.weebly.com

FA: www.furaffinity.net/user/varek-wolf
Twitter: @VarekWolf

Furry code: FCWh3a A- C D H+ M- P- R+ T W Z Sm- RLGP a+++ cm+ e+++ f h++++ i+ j p+

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 09:10:29 pm »
Like Literate Lycan, I also have a collection of animal themed tee shirts--I used to have dolphin and horse tees; now I have dinosaur tees and one beautiful panther tee. My mate adores wolves and he has so many wolf tees.

I have a tiger hat that I wear when I am cold, but I don't wear it in public unless I'm going to a con.

I'd love to own a tail, ears and maybe a collar so when I go to a con I can feel properly dressed, as it were! But yeah...in public I prefer to be more human than furry.  (:
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Takanuva

• Species: Dragon
  • I like Bionicle and Dragons.
  • Male
    • Takanuva-Toa-Of-Light
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 05:37:40 pm »
I have a pair of wolf socks, with them howling at the full moon. Only downside is they're the weird one-size tube socks you can get now, and they don't really fit.   :'(  But I really do love nature and animal themed t-shirts, and if they had any wolf/fox shirts at American Eagle, I'd wear those in a flash. I already have this one cool watercolor mountain t-shirt, and if they had any wolf shirts in a similar style I'd buy them up like crazy.

Offline Solodarkwolf5

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 11:22:44 pm »
-
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:00:38 am by Solodarkwolf5 »

Offline Takanuva

• Species: Dragon
  • I like Bionicle and Dragons.
  • Male
    • Takanuva-Toa-Of-Light
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 11:31:37 pm »
Just do it. nothing is impossible  If you act normally, and just roll with it, most people would ignore it or just pass it off. Acting strangely in public, or walking around awkwardly with it will get you a lot of stares and disapproval. Sociologically, exhibiting behaviors like inconfidence, and behaviors you would associate with weakness or vulnerability (like acting awkwardly, trying to hide away from people in embarrassment) are what draw attention to yourself. Act like it's a regular day for you, and people don't pay attention at all because people tend to focus on body language, facial gestures, and where people are looking rather than what they're doing. So just own it. And I hardly have any clothing you could quantify as "furry", but I really need/want more animal and furry shirts and they're not too available unfortunately.

Offline Solodarkwolf5

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 11:40:28 pm »
-
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:00:28 am by Solodarkwolf5 »

Offline Pix

• Male
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 06:02:29 am »
dont know if this is dead or not but i recently got my collar and have been wearing it out and about and occasionally i get some odd looks (btw the looks are quite amusing at times) but other than that no one really care's, so i think you'd be surprised at how people react if at all. but take this with a pinch of salt coz not everywere will be the same i may just b lucky since i live close to Canterbury and that place is filled with unusual clothing :3

Offline Literate Lycan

• Species: Gothic grey wolf
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 02:20:46 am »
Back in January I said I didn't own a tail or ears. I need to amend that.

I now own a tail as part of a partial fox fursuit. In fact, I'm soon getting a second partial fursuit, so I'll have two tails. And I bought a collar. I have worn the fox partial in public for a short time, but not the tail or collar by itself. I still won't do that. I'll stick with my animal-graphic t-shirts.
"All stories are about wolves..." -- Margaret Atwood, "Blind Assassin"

Avatar by Blitzy Arts : www.blitzy-arts.weebly.com

FA: www.furaffinity.net/user/varek-wolf
Twitter: @VarekWolf

Furry code: FCWh3a A- C D H+ M- P- R+ T W Z Sm- RLGP a+++ cm+ e+++ f h++++ i+ j p+

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 12:34:25 pm »
I'm basically a hermit. When I do go out in public I try not to draw attention to myself. The closest I come is wearing a backpack with a few robot dogs in it. But that's more a "helps with the severe anxiety" thing than a furry thing.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline Kain (Asher) Eralf

• Species: Atosian Fox
  • Smooth jazz will be deployed, in three, two, one.
  • Male
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 11:11:00 pm »
I'm more likely to wear stuff at home than out and about, unless someone's doing it with me. :P

I'll draw furry art in public. All my art is sfw, so I don't see any problem with it.

Most of the time when I'm out, I'll just imagine that I'm my sona, and I'll kind of "cast" people as different anthro species as I go along. Makes me feel more involved as a furry, and no one ever has to know. XP

I'm also an art-on-the-go kind of person; I find myself doing a lot of my drawing in public rather than at my desk.
But I really ought to try casting other people as different species... that sounds like a lot of fun also rather inspirational for drawings.

Having recently gotten a tail, I've been excited to wear it, but I haven't dared to it in public... although with Halloween coming up, I've considered wearing around town then. I dunno if I'll do it yet.
I'm rather self-conscious of my furriness, but some times I just want to own the fact that I'm furry and totally forget what other people might think.
Smile... and let the world be confused.  (:

Offline sight arctic

• Species: arctic wolf (human)
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 12:56:45 pm »
im currently trying to make a street hat with ears and i wear a black and blue tail around and i go to tounaments with my tail frequently i have a bisexual heart daily  >:(
i'd rather die on paws than live on feet

Offline Bluetabbycat

• Species: Generic tabby cat
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 04:13:43 pm »
I've had all kinds of responses from 'suiting up! Everything from people (adults mainly) trying very hard to ignore me, to little kids looking at me like I'm some kind of hell beast freshly risen from the depths of Hades (I still find both of these responses funny in their own way  ;) ). Then at the other end of the scale, you've got people who react really positively; I think the most memorable ones were the Japanese tourists who wanted a picture with me, the ageing punk from somewhere in Eastern Europe (judgeing by his accent; I could be wrong) who was overwhelmingly enthusiastic and also wanted a picture with me, and there was the African lady who was really interested in my costume and talked about it with me for a while. All in all, you just have to take them as they come.

Like Takanuva says, if you rock your furry-ness, no one will mess with you!  8)

Offline Rocoro

• Species: Dhole
  • Dhole dog. Google it.
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 04:04:58 am »
I have a tail, but in terms of furry fashion, I just wear a shirt.
ROCORO

Offline Pratzelwurm

• Species: Bakeneko
  • I'm a cool kitty cat
  • Male
    • Listography
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 03:31:49 am »
In addition to being a furry, I am also a punk, so collars are a normal part of the fashion lol

I do own ears and tails (not to mention a fursuit), buuuuut I don't often feel comfortable wearing those outside of places where costumes are okay. It's not like I wanna dress up like a cat all the time though, anyways. I just wear either of my collars on occasion, if they match my outfit (I'd like to get a few more in different styles).
Beep beep, all aboard the idiot wagon.

Offline ShopePapilloma

• Species: Jackalope
  • Grumpy weirdo with 22 pets. Icon by SnoConeGlobe!
  • Female
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 08:05:50 pm »
I wear my tail out quite often, I find I feel more confident wearing it!
MST3K, anyone?

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 11:37:34 am »
I always were dog tags or a collar
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 03:07:46 pm »
I rarely wear anything obviously furry in public.  But for decades, I have worn wolf t-shirts, and am wearing one now.   I do wear a collar at times, but in private, or under a high necked jacket.

The most I ever did was wear a black fedora with black wolf ears on it, which I had quickly sewed on.  It looked "ok".  I was also wearing a black leather jacket, black combat style boots and my green collar with tags, and beige cargo pants. I had on a sort of furry t-shirt as well.  I had decided to leave the tail at home.  It was a special day for me, and I was feeling rather confident of myself, was hopped up on caffeine, had 3 hours sleep, and I had popped out to walk the dog in broad daylight like that.  Totally out of the ordinary for me.

All that morning I had noticed a suspicious car parked outside the house, and it never moved.  Dark windows, large SUV.  So I sauntered up to it with my cell phone at the ready, and knocked on the drivers window.  "Hey, buddy, if you don't stop loitering around here I'm going to call the police!"  The window slowly went down, and it was the local sheriffs office investigators unit!  The officer in his total body armor, with police laptop and radio blaring.  Un-holstered gun at the ready. They were watching a neighbor down the street who had felony warrants.  The officer said "hi" using my name and I realized he had seen the collar and tags with my given name on it.  He also obviously saw the hat, and shirt too!  :goldlaugh:  He assured me that they weren't observing me.  We then traded contact information, and had a good 15 minute talk about ham radio of all things!

I don't wear anything blatantly furry in public anymore.  I also don't go banging on peoples car windows anymore, especially in my neighborhood. 
Live and learn?

Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)