Author Topic: Anthrocon Forever!  (Read 6034 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Anthrocon Forever!
« on: July 11, 2019, 01:41:37 pm »
I would like to go back to AC sometime. I haven't been back there since 2012, 2011, 2008, and 2007. But I'm not sure when, or with who, etc., etc. 
I've been contemplating the 25th anniversary of AC which is in 2021. But I'm not quite sure yet if I can make it. Even if I went, I wouldn't have a fursuit in time.
I think a better option (and one which I really like) is in 2026 which will be AC's 30th anniversary. This would allow me at least 6-7 years to save up for a new fursuit (It probably won't be a husky, but who knows?), travel, etc., etc.
Granted, it's a long way off and anything could change between now and then which would derail plans. But I'd like to try.
So here's my question/plans for any Furtopians reading this: Would anybody be interested in going to AC2026 for the 30th anniversary and sharing a room, etc. with me? Even though the con generally runs from Thurs. to Sunday, I'd like to extend my stay from Weds. to Sun. (or Mon.).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 06:14:25 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
Re: Anthrocon 25th & 30th annifurrsaries.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 06:39:59 pm »
I like that idea actually.  Anthrocon 25th or 30th.  I wonder if they will do EVEN MORE for those special years.  Holy cow!

As you said Kobuk, those are 2, and 7 years away, approximately so things may happen.

I don't know what will happen to me in the 2 year time frame, but I hope I have a job again, and have settled into it enough to do things outside of work.
Why I mention that is because I am thinking of going to AC as well.  I guess I am saying that I am hopeful for 25th anniversary, but I think I SHOULD be able to make the 30th.

I bet there may be others here who would show up too.  Maybe we can have a mini Furtopia gathering there?

So for the 30th anv, if I can remember and things go as I hope in my life, I will be there and should be able to share costs. 
But lets regroup our thoughts each year just to be sure.

Also, I think your Husky fursuit that I see in your Furtopia avatar is great.  So... :)
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline FarFar

• Species: Anthro Canine / Corgi
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 09:35:37 am »
I would like to go back to AC sometime. I haven't been back there since 2012, 2011, 2008, and 2007. But I'm not sure when, or with who, etc., etc. 
I've been contemplating the 25th anniversary of AC which is in 2021. But I'm not quite sure yet if I can make it. Even if I went, I wouldn't have a fursuit in time.
I think a better option (and one which I really like) is in 2026 which will be AC's 30th anniversary. This would allow me at least 6-7 years to save up for a new fursuit (It probably won't be a husky, but who knows?), travel, etc., etc.
Granted, it's a long way off and anything could change between now and then which would derail plans. But I'd like to try.
So here's my question/plans for any Furtopians reading this: Would anybody be interested in going to AC2026 for the 30th anniversary and sharing a room, etc. with me? Even though the con generally runs from Thurs. to Sunday, I'd like to extend my stay from Weds. to Sun. (or Mon.).

I'm up for all of that!!! Yeah, lets stay in touch with this. Would be willing to share costs/rooms/etc. Just came back from this years!
Wed-Sunday/Monday would be great if things work out that way. But yeah, let us stay in touch with this. For either the 25 or 30 year of it.

I took the red pill...

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 02:50:32 pm »
I like that idea actually.  Anthrocon 25th or 30th.  I wonder if they will do EVEN MORE for those special years.  Holy cow!
It's possible that AC might have something special planned for those anniversaries, but it's too early to know for sure.

As you said Kobuk, those are 2, and 7 years away, approximately so things may happen.
Yeah, anything can happen: Family issues, Health issues, Job issues, and so much more.

I don't know what will happen to me in the 2 year time frame, but I hope I have a job again, and have settled into it enough to do things outside of work.
Why I mention that is because I am thinking of going to AC as well.  I guess I am saying that I am hopeful for 25th anniversary, but I think I SHOULD be able to make the 30th.
I could go almost "any" year if I put my mind to it and saved. But the 25th and 30th anniversaries just seem like more special events to me that would interest me more.

I bet there may be others here who would show up too.  Maybe we can have a mini Furtopia gathering there?

So for the 30th anv, if I can remember and things go as I hope in my life, I will be there and should be able to share costs. 
But lets regroup our thoughts each year just to be sure.
When it comes to costs, I can't do it alone. Not anymore. I went to AC2011 and got my own room all by myself. That's the first, last, and only time I will ever be able to do (and afford) that. In the future, somebody else will have to have better resources and request the room for however many people are going to share it. I usually prefer the Westin, but the Courtyard by Marriot would be second.

Also, I think your Husky fursuit that I see in your Furtopia avatar is great.  So... :)
My husky suit is retired. I already have the design 99% finalized for a new fursuit of a different animal species that I've been working on the last several days. But getting it funded and built........well, it probably won't be ready for quite a few years.......if it happens. Wouldn't be ready till the 30th AC.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:52:37 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 12:14:34 pm »
What will AC be like in future years for attendence? That's a bit of a scary thought.  :o Probably something that Uncle Kage and the rest of the staff are having nightmares about.  :D Anyway, here's my guesses and thoughts on what could possibly happen.

Currently, AC2019 was at about 9,300+ for attendence. I suspect that by next year, it will probably surpass the 10,000 mark, and may actually be closer to 10,500+/-.
By 2021 which is AC's 25th anniversary, I predict maybe somewhere in the 12,000+/- range.

Looking at this link here:

https://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Anthrocon
.......AC2017 to AC2018 had a nearly 1,000 increase in people attending. Same going from AC2018 to AC2019. If AC were to keep that trend going, I could see them hitting somewhere in the 16,000 to 18,000+/- range by their 30th anniversary. Hitting 20,000 for their 30th would be a long shot. Doubtful it would happen, but who knows? Can AC handle that many people? Possibly. They've got plenty of hotels around the DLCC convention center.

These are just guesses by me. It may seem like a lot, but it isn't. It's a far cry from other cons I've been to, like the Gen Con Game Fair for example. Last time I was at GC in Milwaukee, WI was back in 2002 when it was the last year GC was in Milwaukee before being moved to indianapolis. 2002 year had an attendence of 23,000+/- and the reason GC had to move was due to a lack of hotel space in Milwaukee. Milwaukee had nowhere near the hotel space back then that AC now has. Now that GC has moved to Indianapolis, their attendence has hit around the 60,000+ mark. If AC were to hit that mark, it wouldn't be for a very, very long time to come. They wouldn't even reach that mark for their 50th anniversary. Gaming which is what GC is all about is a far, far bigger hobby/interest than what the furry fandom is.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 02:48:38 pm »
As I was lying in bed last night, I couldn't help but wonder what fursuiting and the fursuit parade would be like in future years. As AC gets bigger for the 25th and 30th anniversaries, as well as other future years, the logistical issues of having a parade, a headless lounge, and so much more are going to be more of a nightmare than they already are.  :o

2,132 fursuiters were at AC2019. By the 25th anniversary of AC2021, I suspect that number to be maybe around 2,500+/-.
By the time of AC's 30th anniversary in 2026, I would guess maybe in the 3,000 to 3,500 range. That's a bit of a long shot, but anything's possible.

As the # of fursuiters increases, I can only imagine that more headless lounges will have to be added for cooling off. But can a parade be done with 2,500, 3,000, or more suiters? Good question. At some point, there has to be a limit. Will there even be a parade in future years? If one long parade gets to be too much to handle, the only thing I can think of would be to split the parade up into 2 smaller parades. Maybe have one parade with names of suiters between A to M. Have a second parade with suiter names between N to Z.

Well, whatever happens in the future, one thing is for certain: It will get bigger.  :o

Offline FarFar

• Male
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 08:14:36 pm »
I agree with all of what is being said regarding the 25/30 years of Anthrocon. It will more then likely get bigger with each passing year. As such, the logistics are going to have to be worked on and modified to handle the increase in attendees.  The fursuit parade and headless lounges in particular are going to need to be looked at more closely due to the sheer numbers. Having said that, I think that the logistics will be able to be worked out. I was there this year (2019) and it all worked out great! I'm confident that future committees will be able to work things out such that we all will have a great time!
I took the red pill...

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 09:51:47 pm »
I would love to go to AC in the next year or two! I have been planning a visit to the East coast for a year or so anyway, and I've always wanted to go to AC! If I can save the money and set aside the time for the trip, I hope I can make it out!  8)

I've never been to that big of a con before, it will be scary but fun! I hope I will run into you or other Furtopia posters!
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 09:01:50 pm »
So, is anybody interested in going to Anthrocon's 25th anniversary in 2021?
Anybody interested in sharing a room?
I'm thinking of going, but I won't be in fursuit. I'll just be my normal human self sadly. :(
I can't book the room myself. Somebody else would have to do that.

Jade?
FarFar?
Rocket Coyote?
Anybody else?

Of course, this is all tenative. Anything can change between now and then.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 12:13:43 am »
I will see how well I can handle DenFur with my seriously introverted stupid self in the next few days... and if that goes swimmingly and also if I get a job and back on track... I hope to be able to go to Anthrocon in 2021. And yeah... i might have to pay only part of that hotel stay too... so maybe we are looking at a crowded room.  I don't think I will be able to maintain non human form for 100% of time either.  Just saying that if it makes any difference to anyone.  Sorry I am also not an Adonis.  :-[   However, at this time I do not snore and  am usually a clean mostly neat/organized person.  I do have a bit of anxiety / nerves, so just an FYI.  No I am not a total train wreck.  (However, You may wake up with a dirty sock near your head if you sleep later than me)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:16:35 am by Jade Sinapu »
(Name that tune!)

Offline FarFar

• Male
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 07:27:23 pm »
So, is anybody interested in going to Anthrocon's 25th anniversary in 2021?
Anybody interested in sharing a room?
I'm thinking of going, but I won't be in fursuit. I'll just be my normal human self sadly. :(
I can't book the room myself. Somebody else would have to do that.

Jade?
FarFar?
Rocket Coyote?
Anybody else?

Y

Of course, this is all tenative. Anything can change between now and then.

Right, in that anything can change between now and then. However, if all goes well, then I'm down with that! No problems there!!
I took the red pill...

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 07:40:15 pm »
I would be willing to go and hang out. Never been to a con, don’t have suit yet but that could change (first priority is another car). The only problem for me, it’s far but I don’t mind a road trip or flying.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:49:44 pm by Amducious »
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 10:36:23 am »
I think it's important to bring up an update here on the AC 2021 25th Anniversary. AC is tenatively still planning to hold it's convention next year, but..........it all depends on the coronavirus and vaccine situations. While I want to remain optimistic that the convention might still happen, I have a stronger gut feeling that it might not. At this time, I have no plans to go to AC2021. I think I'd rather wait for AC2026 instead.

https://www.anthrocon.org/news/2020/12/21/seasons-greetings-and-2021-announcement

Offline BlueStreak

• Species: Red Fox
  • Central Ohio's Original Fox
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 12:40:02 pm »
If I have the vaccine by then I intend to go to AC this year, but it's still far from certain to happen.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 09:24:25 am »
It seems AC has gone VR this year. Fur The More is having one next weekend.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2021, 10:24:28 pm »
I am going to the virtual AC! I went to the virtual FC con and it was so fun, albeit online! I hope that I can make it out to Pittsburgh proper in 2022!
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 04:44:12 pm »
So... to gravedig this important topic...

2022 is approaching, I am not ready for 2022 at anthrocon so far as I know.
Anyone else have updates?
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 06:07:29 pm »
From what little I've heard, a person needs to be fully vaccinated and show proof of vaccination in order to attend AC2022. :(

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 06:16:15 pm »
 I'm good on vaccines,  just don't think I'll have time or money for 2022.

(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 08:26:32 pm »
Well, I hope everyone has a good time at AC this year. It'll be the first year the con was "back to normal" so to speak since there was no AC in 2020 and 20221 due to covid.
I subscribed to the Facebook AC group so I can keep up with all the photos and activities, etc.
I hope not too many people suffer airline travel delays and cancellations. There's been a lot of news in the last several months of airlines cutting flights due to staff shortages, covid, etc.  I wish everybody well in making it to the con and also back home.
That's one thing I never liked about AC: Always (or almost always) the con falls on July 4th week/weekend which is one of the busiest times for traveling.  x_x

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2022, 06:50:34 pm »
Just got done watching the Closing Ceremonies video for Anthrocon 2022.
I was very surprised and shocked by the numbers of people that attended for the first year of AC being "back to normal" so to speak after having been absent in Pittsburgh during 2020 and 2021.

9,702 attendees

2,562 fursuiters in the Fursuit Parade. (Though they said in the video this could have been 200+ higher had some fursuiters not missed the photoshoot/parade.

WOW!  :o What an increase. And if AC happens next year, barring any covid issues or anything else, I can easily see them exceeding 10,000 attendees and "possibly" 3,000 fursuiters next year.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2022, 06:02:30 pm »
Maybe going to AC on the 4th of July isn't such a good idea after all.
Just recently, a guy shot to death 7 people in Illinois during a July 4th parade event.
And now I read on the news that there was another planned attack (which was thankfully thwarted) down in Richmond, Virginia.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/06/us/richmond-virginia-tip-mass-shooting-thwarted/index.html

Kinda makes you wonder if anybody and anything is safe anymore, particuarly on and around July 4th.  :o
It wouldn't be that difficult to pick off a bunch of fursuiters as they're slow moving targets due to the bulky suits and limited vision. Perhaps Uncle Kage should keep the parade indoors instead moving through hallways and corridors instead of outside. But........who knows what will happen in future years?

Offline BlueStreak

• Male
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2022, 07:11:00 pm »
AC was spectacular this year. There were some staffing issues around registration that slowed things up a bit, but generally it was the well-oiled machine it always is. I'll be glad when the mask requirements go away, but aside from that it was the same Anthrocon I know and love.

Security presence was also significant around the con; no doubt Kage is aware that it's a potential target (MFF was gassed, after all) so they take every possible measure to ensure the safety of attendees.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Anthrocon Forever!
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2023, 06:20:56 pm »
Just finished watching the closing ceremonies on Anthrocon.TV site for AC2023.
From what I heard:
13,644 attendees  :o
3,127 fursuiters in the fursuit parade.  :o
$51,000+ raised for the Rabbit Wranglers charity.

2024 next year's theme is Anthrocoaster. An amusement park type theme.
2024 dates are July 4-7, 2024

Offline BlueStreak

• Male
Re: Anthrocon Forever!
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2023, 11:13:51 pm »
Fun fact: There were more fursuiters at Anthrocon this year than there were attendees in 2007!

Had an absolute blast, as always.