Author Topic: how did you choose your furry name  (Read 133978 times)

Offline greenfox

• Species: Fox
  • struct fox_t = { .color = COLOR_GREEN };
  • Male
Re: how did you choose your furry name
« Reply #700 on: June 06, 2014, 10:55:17 pm »
I have several names, and I bet everyone can figure out where some of them came from (i.e. greenfox :P).

Perhaps the most interesting one etymologically is Kahjarin, meaning simply "The Fox One" in my conlang.
kahja(r) the word for 'fox'
which derives from the root *KAJ (pronounced a bit like /kai/), which means 'dream'.

:D I put a lot of thought into it.
"Vira pyveþ maze lirno kaietello jai."
I am only a lone man with ten-thousand dreams.

Weasyl: http://www.weasyl.com/~quyk

Offline Sledge

• Species: Fyr Cat
  • Peace through superior firepower.
  • Male
« Reply #701 on: June 07, 2014, 12:55:58 am »
My original 'soma was a rhino... I simply looked for a name that conveyed strength, and I found it in Borderlands... Sledge turned into Thorne, and I became Sledge; constantly changing species, evolving with my mood and environment.
A wise man once said: "don't anger a man who can end you from another zip code."

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum. - If You Want Peace, Prepare For War.

Offline BassCreator

« Reply #702 on: June 07, 2014, 11:44:32 am »
Umm, It came from a shortened version of my last name, which is Amaro, then people called me Amari, then they called me Ari.

Offline Fuyurin

• Female
« Reply #703 on: June 11, 2014, 03:52:07 pm »
Fuyu is Japanese for "Winter", which is my favorite season. When it comes to "rin", a lot of stories have the suffix of -rin for female Kirin and -ki for males so I went with that.

Offline Blinded Wolf

• Species: Canis lupus occidentalis
  • a.k.a. Ty
  • Male
« Reply #704 on: June 11, 2014, 10:50:07 pm »
I've always liked the name Ty it just kinda sounds nice and everyone seems to take Ty and create their own little nickname version of it be it Ty-Ty, Ty-hard (try hard), etc. As for the blinded wolf part that comes from my childhood where I damaged my left eye and thus left it blind it's quite literally a different perspective and I've always found that to be an interesting facet of myself

Offline Kahlayna

• Species: Possibly a wolf-dog/cat hybid
« Reply #705 on: October 28, 2014, 04:42:14 am »
Kah'layna was the name of my first D&D character - I like it, so it's what I'm using, for now.

Offline Pupumpkin

• Species: Tiger
  • Male
« Reply #706 on: October 28, 2014, 06:10:48 am »
Mine is easy.

Pumpkins are orange. I'm a bengal tiger. :D
Why'd the Death Knight get fired from the shoe factory?

He was reaping all the soles! xD

|\__/|
 | /∧∧\ |
  ( 三●ω● )
   /|   |ニ⊃Spanish awesome tiger is awesome!
  (/| _ |
    UU

Seamos amigos! (Let's be friends!)

Offline Aedus

• Species: Fox
  • Male
« Reply #707 on: November 06, 2014, 05:10:09 pm »
I'm currently on my third and final name. I used to go by Demala but people kept thinking I was a girl so I chose Zypher thinking it was a clever adaptation of Zephyr but it never caught on. For my current name (the one I'm sticking with) is Aedus Goldtail. I found the name Aedus looking for a good name for my Flareon in pokemon Y. I liked the name so much that I put it to my fursona. As for the last name it's because half of my fursona's tail is gold :P

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #708 on: November 06, 2014, 07:30:14 pm »
I stepped on a shard of glass and cut my foot bad  so I thought hey why not that sounds ok.
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Turgius

• Species: Anthro Wolf/Dragon thing of questionable sanity...
  • Avatar is Artz by Flinters on FA
    • FA Account
« Reply #709 on: November 06, 2014, 10:05:37 pm »
Read the name in a book, and decided I liked it.
“Oh I've plenty of time, my time is entirely my own.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Идиот

FCWh3a A C D H M P R T+++ W- Z Sm- RLGP a cn++ d++ e++ f-- h- i++ j p sm-
-Furry Code

Offline Shaluven

• Species: Timber Wolf
  • Male
« Reply #710 on: November 06, 2014, 11:47:36 pm »
First I thought of the sounds of syllables I liked: "sh," "u," ve," and many others. I ended up coming up with a list of twenty-or-so names, then Google-searched every one to see how original they were. In the end, there were only two left that were completely original--or at the very least composed from miscellaneous word fragments from other languages. The two remaining were Kanschwe and Shaluven, I decided I liked the latter more. Maybe I'll end up using Kanschwe for another 'sona if I decide to make another.

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #711 on: November 12, 2014, 10:08:12 am »
Seeing as my Furry Name has changed, allow me to give a bit of backstory about it. I came up with the name MadamGlitch because I love researching and watching videos on glitches found in videogames, specifically glitches found in the first generation Pokemon games. The Madam part comes from the fact that I'm a girl. It's really not that complicated, and at first, I wasn't too fond of it. But it's grown on me.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline Kasuni

• Species: Ocelot/Wolf
  • Female
« Reply #712 on: November 19, 2014, 08:34:09 pm »
mine is not very interesting. i have had quite a few names because as i have changed, i have changed my fursona, including her name. at first it was Night Stalker because that was the name i use when i role played as a wolf on a different before i even knew about furries. then was Night Berry-Moon. i changed it cause night stalker sounded scary. Finally i now have Night Claw. This is also the name of my warrior cats OC's name. i just really like the name. Not very intersting but, hopefully i wont change it again!

Offline Kynao

« Reply #713 on: November 19, 2014, 11:24:36 pm »
It chose me :P

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #714 on: November 27, 2014, 09:10:02 pm »
I'm kind of an electronic pet geek. I've collected them since the late 90s. Furby was the one that got me hooked and will always be my favorite electronic pet. I like the sound of Furb as a name plus it has fur in it which makes it a pretty good Furry name. Naturally, My fursona is an animatronic critter and I'm in the process of deciding if it'll be an anthro Furby or some kind of general robotic Beastie. No matter what I go with Furb will always be my Furry name. It's perfect for me. Collecting Furbys helped me survive two of the worst times of my life. Taking Furb as a name is my way of honoring that.

You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline Senpai-Fish

• Species: Black Scaleless Dragonfish
  • Nature's Glowtick
  • Female
« Reply #715 on: April 14, 2015, 01:52:36 am »
Well, my user name is actually a meme and inside joke.  I was looking up some different kinds of deep sea fish to reference for a Deep One costume sketch, and I found a picture of the black scaleless dragonfish among the many anglers.  I looked it up, saw that it had a meme made about it (NOTICE ME SENPAI!) and a friend and I on a different site began using it as my nickname since I used it for my avatar.  It just kinda stuck, and I thought it was hilarious despite the fact that I rarely watch anime anymore.

My fursona, of course, is an anthro black scaleless dragonfish named Glowstick.  I picked the name because of the dragonfish's chin lure, which kinda reminds me of a glowstick on a lanyard.  Glowstick is basically me, of course, with the addition of being a lot less shy.  And I chose a fish because I think they are quite fascinating, and in many cases adorable (puffer fish and koi especially).  Plus I'm a bit of a Halloween nut, so having a 'sona that was both cute and creepy depending on the light was perfect.
The only me is me...
Are you sure the only you is you?

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #716 on: May 10, 2015, 12:33:17 pm »

Ok.. Old Rabbit..  in 1997 I was accepted as a
artist on Yerf.. I needed a username.

I liked to draw rabbit characters, and was a bit
older than most artists. So I chose Oldrabbit.

Kinda fit me at the time, and was lucky enough
to get a domain with the same name. So I stayed
with it..

One other name I had was Roger Raccoon.
It was after a story character.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #717 on: May 10, 2015, 12:48:58 pm »
Forgot to update this after my name change from Shard to Amducious. Well I was looking up Hebrew names and their meanings. Well Amducious seemed suiting for a Northern Sergal, it translates into(Hebrew), the destroyer.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:52:32 pm by Amducious »
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #718 on: May 11, 2015, 03:29:10 am »
youtube video saw the name Zef liked the name but i liked it more as Zeff so thats what i named my fursona. if i ever were to become a furry in really life ild most likely change my name to Zeff.

well i no longer really use the name Zeff for my fursona. iv mostly shifted over to using the name Gray, and it sounds pretty nice to me as a name. tho i'd much rather have people i know offline call me by my legal name.

Offline Kaslo

• Species: Pine Marten
  • Male
« Reply #719 on: May 11, 2015, 09:57:45 am »
I looked at various city and town names from British Columbia and picked the ones that I liked, then chose the one I liked from that list.
Later I found that the Canadian Pacific Railroad used to have a rail line named after the town; a nice bonus, since I'm a model railroader.   

Offline Cheza

• Species: Woof
« Reply #720 on: June 01, 2015, 02:46:18 am »
Needed name for something not-furry related and had recently been watching Wolf's rain. The first thing that popped in my mind was Cheza. It was already taken in that place, so I decided to try adding the two last letters of my irl first name to it, creating the name "Chezana"
It was free, and so I started using that as my online screen name pretty much everywhere, but most still just called me Chez or Cheza, so eventually I too started to try dropping the "Na" from it when registering in places. When I eventually did become a furry it only felt natural to try and use the name for my fursona as well.

My fursonas "real name" is still "Chezana the Snowstalker" tho, but that's mostly a side-thing most people don't know about xP

Offline Tanu

• Species: Raccoon
  • Just a regular Office Raccoon.
  • Male
« Reply #721 on: June 03, 2015, 09:01:31 pm »
Because I am the most creative man alive! A raccoon named Tanu is most original!  :D

No actually I originally had Tanu as a placeholder name, but it just kind of stuck. Shoot before Tanu it was Office Raccoon. lol
Celebrate who you are.

Offline 9141702

• Species: Anthro Rat
  • Male
« Reply #722 on: June 05, 2015, 07:58:07 pm »
Well, Fern is traditionally a female name. But I always thought it was pretty and so I've decided to steal it and try to force gender-neutrality upon it! It seems to be working so far.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #723 on: June 27, 2015, 11:36:21 pm »
Decided to start playing Robocraft, an awesome game that i no longer consider an awesome game.

HazardJackal

Hazard: I liked the sound of the word.  Also, Robocraft reminded me of BattleBots.  You do the math.

Jackal: I was trying to create a fursona at the time.  That kinda didn't work out, but ya know, jackals are rad, am i right?

So there ya go, HazardJackal, one of my many internet usernames.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #724 on: August 18, 2015, 01:02:55 am »
I guess since I've changed my furname, I should answer this again.

My name "Yip" is one I've used since I was a kid. I originally used it for video games because some of the old video games limited your name the three characters (especially on high score screens). So I've actually had this a long time before I even knew about the furry fandom. When I first joined Furtopia, I created a new name using some math to manipulate my given name. Which is kind of cool and geeky and stuff, but I've came to realize that it just didn't fit me very well, and I was using "Yip" on SL anyway, so I adopted that as my official furname.