general furry discussion > furry lite

Ready for the babies

<< < (3/3)

Tippi Blue Snowangel:
I've raised my share of orphaned animals, everything from puppies and kittens, to squirels and birds.  I have had some deaths, but those were usually due to injury or latent health problems.

Sometimes animal shelters will refer critters to people who are set-up to take care of them if you go in and leave you name and number and the like.  You can even get permits and what not from the forestry service which can on the occassion make you eligable for grants if your passion grows.

It can be fun and rewarding work.

Shana-chan:
I think if I were able to raise any kind of orphan animal, it'd be a lynx and a fox. ^_^ I dunno, just had to say it.. Either that, or a wolf pup. (Although, I can't have puppies where I live, so that wouldn't turn out too well o.o;  ).

SaphiaTandra:
I'm working on my rehabbing permit so I can do the more exotic critters such as raptors. It'll help to raise a few before I go for my falconry apprenticeship/exam next year.

It's funny but of all the babies I've raised...... it seems like people bring me more opossums than anything. I still have one of my "babies" from 5 years ago visit every so often. He's missing an eye from a cat attack as a baby (that's how I found him, in a cat's mouth). He's so funny, he'll come on my porch and eat food with my dogs.

The other baby that sticks in my mind was a doe fawn, she was such a darling. Thankfully she went to live in a wildlife park, so I know she'll never be harmed.  I just wish it wasn't so far away from me so I could visit her more, I do try to go out there once a year.

Savaaha:
Shana theres a fox farm in Glennallen Alaska. For 100.00 you can buy a fox kit. I knew some people who bought some and raised them. They tried to raise them to be released into the wild but they just get to peoplefriendly. The Vixens do anyway.. The Todds just got destructive and nasty tempered. The good thing out of it was the foxes were saved from being made into garments.

Shadowhawk:
Quote (SaphiaTandra @ Aug. 14 2004, 7:23 pm)I'm working on my rehabbing permit so I can do the more exotic critters such as raptors. It'll help to raise a few before I go for my falconry apprenticeship/exam next year.
I'm so jealous!!  I wish i had the time and cash to devote to going thru that, I've always wanted to...

Oh well, it's on the top of my someday list...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version