Author Topic: Artistic Block Solutions  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
Artistic Block Solutions
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:21:36 pm »
So the furry fandom is based off art. Animal art is more what we are about, but its all art nonetheless. And what is the most terrible thing to happen to art, at least in my opinion? Blocks. Artistic blocks are one tough cookie. I know this all too well. I have had writing blocks several times, and my drawing in a whole is a huge block. Poetry makes no sense to me, and song writing - Forget it! We all have artistic blocks of one form or another at one point in our lives. But how do you alleviate this problem?

One thing I have learned recently is...video games. Now before you get up in arms about how they rot your brain and blah blah blah. Video games are a simple way of shutting down your brain and allowing it to rest for once. Especially the games that aren't about puzzle solving and complicated mazes. This means shooters, racing, I assume most RPGs. A block is when you are filled with artistic creativity and you actually work off that. Eventually when you just write and write, or draw and draw, your brain runs out of fuel and you hit a block. Think of taking a whole weekend to playing games as a stop for your brain. It can just sit there, now not working on your art, and rebuild that fuel.

And it doesn't stop at video games. Anything that you can do that doesn't require a high amount of "brain power" is good. Something like just taking walks out in the park, or leaving for a while to swim, or just spending a whole weekend staring at your cat. Anything to allow your brain to shut off for a while and refuel. This is just something I learned that I wanted to share with the most artistic people I know, furries. I guess this could also be a good place for others here to share what they have done to break a block. Or maybe some other activities you have done before or would think could help in this sort of way.
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Mylo

Re: Artistic Block Solutions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »
I usually just take time to walk.  Walking is a great way for me to stop and just think and observe the world.  It's the same way with video games for you...it's something that allows your brain to rest and is sort of like hitting the reset button on a game console or reinstalling your OS on a clean slate or even cleaning up.  :o  But anyhow, walking gives me that feeling, and when I have any ideas, I usually record them on my phone.

But for me, I have to be doing something otherwise I'll get deeper into the block.  So staring at my ca...er...dog won't work.  ;)

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 07:00:26 pm »
Honestly,  the only way i personally find to get around artistic blocks is to start working on it again.   =\

A white page doesn't get any easier with time.

For visual arts this could be as simple as doing 5 quick sketches in 10 mins or so and seeing how far you can get on each.  Usually after that i'm warmed up and have some idea what i want to draw.

It's the same for writing (though,  typically that's more for academic purposes.)  I have to just start getting my thoughts on paper and figuring out exactly what i want to say,  then i figure out how i want to say it. (no harsh or forced structure.) 

For fictional writing,  i hear that exploring different facets of a character... maybe writing about something that happened in their past that you don't actually plan to include in the story,  or trying to put the character in various awkward situations to see how they respond is a good way to warm up.

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:29:31 pm »
Here's some advice from a fictional rockstar~

Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:45:02 am »
Creative blocks can often be overcome by thinking about, and
helping others.

It opens the mind for different and possibly new ideas.  :orbunny:

oldrabbit.com

Offline PsychotixxFoxx

• ♪✖‿✖♪
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 02:43:24 pm »
Leeseetsa, where'd you find that? I love it!! ;D

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:39:32 pm »
@PF http://www.heartshapedskull.com/vicious-whispers/ Though beware, there are some adult references. Not too many, though! (:
Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 12:05:07 pm »
Another way to get past drawing blocks is to read and draw
a scene that you liked. I have gotten several ideas from
stories.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 02:35:09 pm »
I draw non-anthro, and when I just can't think anymore, I do some different drawings. I basically fill the page with a single shape [or multiple] that is all scribbled, then fill it in. When done, stand back and see what you can see. I got some really fantastic work from this, and some really crappy stuff. It's a coin toss.

[would post pic, but it won't work for me]
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!