Author Topic: why the drama?  (Read 9951 times)

Offline battlechili1

• Hi. I'm battlechili1. Pleasure to meet you.
  • Male
    • Animation Fan Battlechili's Tumblr?
Re: why the drama?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 08:02:24 pm »
That meme has irritated me for quite some time. Being a brony does not equate to hating on people who don't like them or hating on furries. The meme is an oversimplification. Plus, the part that says "Antibronies" and then the "love and tolerance thing" is kind of off, since pretty much any fandom that is created has someone who hates them, and due to this, whenever a hater appears it tends to anger people. This isn't just bronies.
Most people can't stand it when people don't like them.

I am a frequent poster on the facebook group "Midwest Brony Division". We have over 800 members. Spend a couple of days in there and see what happens. It's better than it was, but people were certainly not very nice to furries when I first joined the group and they can, at times, be the very definition of "LOVE AND TOLERATE, BLAH BLAH BLAH, WE LOVE EVERYONE".

I speak from experience, not from memes somebody else created.
I went on it and found the "Furry roll call" post. Almost, not all, but almost all of the posts were positive. Still, I'm gonna try and scroll farther and see farther back to the groups' early days.
But from what I can see while scrolling, its mostly just normal art posts and mlp related stuff with the occasional drama. So I get the vibe that this is a case of "A yell in a room of whispers sounds the loudest". Basically, the bad seems to outweigh the good simply because its more noticeable. However, I'll trust you that there's a lot of stuff that goes down there. I've only made it as far back in the posts as March 21 so far (People post a lot in that group ._. )
EDIT: The facebook group posts in such a way where it feels like I'm in a very internet cultury place, which isn't a good thing.
I can see your issues with the group. Still need to scroll farther though.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:08:49 pm by battlechili1 »
Yo.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 12:32:42 am »
That furry roll call post? That profile picture look familiar :P?

That was actually the second time that I posted that. The first time, it ended in a flame war.

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 05:20:33 am »
thats the other thing ive noticed...MLP, the show that appeals to grown people.

We all seem to share an addiction to cute, right so thats one reason.

I am taking a stab in the dark here but i assume a lot of MLP and furry fans alike enjoy watching childrens movies no? and no im not just refering to old Disney stuff, i'm talking about classic types like 'Despicable Me'.

I noticed they carry the same kind of humor, references and entertainment value. Relating this concept to a completely different movie/production helps put it into prospective. I'd say MOST people would have no issues watching Disney's 'Cars'. no some might not drool over it, but ive yet to meet someone who would not sit down and watch it.

It's just yet another thing that links the two fandoms.

Currently i am planning a furry/bronie meet for my state. I think the plan is flawless because irrational haters from each side will simply not attend, the remainder will be many like-minded people and a good night out  :D
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 12:04:07 pm »

I am taking a stab in the dark here but i assume a lot of MLP and furry fans alike enjoy watching childrens movies no? and no im not just refering to old Disney stuff, i'm talking about classic types like 'Despicable Me'.

I noticed they carry the same kind of humor, references and entertainment value. Relating this concept to a completely different movie/production helps put it into prospective. I'd say MOST people would have no issues watching Disney's 'Cars'. no some might not drool over it, but ive yet to meet someone who would not sit down and watch it.

Currently i am planning a furry/bronie meet for my state. I think the plan is flawless because irrational haters from each side will simply not attend, the remainder will be many like-minded people and a good night out  :D

I, for one, do enjoy watching animated films, whether from Disney, DreamWorks, 20th Century Fox or other film companies.  (: So I guess you have a point there...maybe a poll can be made based on this, in another thread?  :)  So yeah, cute and animated films are a go for me.
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 02:55:28 pm »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:45:55 pm by Amducious »
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 02:56:26 pm »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:46:13 pm by Amducious »

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 02:58:01 pm »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:46:30 pm by Amducious »

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 03:00:52 pm »
the only part is i do like watching one of my favorite movies "Spirted Away" ( NO IM NOT ASIAN  :P) but its a great movie good story and a little  heart touching :'(

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 03:02:10 pm »
MLP is not really for adults HELLO PEOPLE? ITS MADE FOR CHILDREN
When has this ever stopped anyone from liking things? A lot of Disney films are aimed more at children. So is Pokemon. Those have a fairly large number of adult followers.

Also if you make a typo, you can click "Modify" at the top of the post to change it. You don't have to make a new post to correct yourself.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:09:22 pm by Loc »

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 03:48:08 pm »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:57:15 pm by Amducious »

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 03:49:10 pm »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:46:49 pm by Amducious »

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 03:56:11 pm »
MLP is not really for adults HELLO PEOPLE? ITS MADE FOR CHILDREN >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

This behavior is inappropriate and bullying.  The all caps and long line of frowning faces give the appearance of shouting, and, honestly, your basic message in this thread (and the other one on this sub-forum) are essentially off-topic and disappointing.  The people in this thread -- and the other one -- are discussing the intellectual question of why different groups of people are interacting in different ways.  Most of the people in these threads clearly enjoy MLP.

All that your posts have done is derail an interesting discussion and hurl judgement at people about what they like.  Furtopia is better than that.  If you have something meaningful to add to the conversation, please do.  But if all you're interested in doing is shouting at and shaming people about MLP, then this sub-forum is clearly not a good place for you.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 04:40:27 pm »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:47:08 pm by Amducious »

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 04:43:43 pm »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:47:28 pm by Amducious »

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 04:44:42 pm »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:47:45 pm by Amducious »

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 05:05:00 pm »
Please STOP spamming the forums  >:(

There is an edit button to the top-right of your posts in the thread. If you feel the need to add something shortly after making a post, and nobody else has replied to the topic yet, please just edit your most recent existing post.

Also, none of these are contributing to the topic anyhow. Nobody is making you post here. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with a topic, but if you feel the need to comment, it's best to take time to write out a logical argument, or expand on your point of view a little more. That would actually facilitate discussion, which is good. Right now, all you've done is pretty much pointlessly come to this section to rage.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 05:15:19 pm »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:48:24 pm by Amducious »

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2013, 06:51:13 am »
see what i mean? drama everywhere  :P
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2013, 12:34:15 pm »

Good point  :P
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Mylo

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2013, 02:57:22 pm »

Didn't think we'd actually get an example of this in this thread.  :-[

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 10:34:47 am »

Liking "children's" movies is hardly a furry thing in my experience o.o Every disney or decent animated movie that comes out I generally go see with either a pack of my fellow Uni-aged friends or even my parental units. All of whom are unfurred. YOU CANNOT RESIST THE CUTEHAPPYTHINGS. No matter what age you are. Just about everyone my age that I've ever met would gladly spend months watching disney marathons and the like.

Also, didn't a large portion of the fuzzish fandom spring from cartoons with anthro characters? MLP could probably be tossed in with the cartoons that furries may or may not like, although they are less anthro than other characters like Ren and Stimpy or Buggs Bunny. Still I wouldn't throw them in as a big part of one or the other and keep the fandoms separate, since people are free to be one or the other, none or both. It's all just labels. So why argue about it? Because some people want the freedom to be one without having the other try to conscript them or tell them they're something they don't think they are. Someone's reasons for being a brone might have absolutely nothing to do with mlp being a show about horses, so it wouldn't really be a "furry" interest to them.

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2013, 03:40:46 pm »
I just happen to have two pics on the subject lol.

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 02:14:11 pm »

To me the drama is a bigger societal issue especially with Generation Y.  How social networking encourages immature behavior.
Many sociologist   are raising concern how Facebook and other social network is raising a generation of immature adults.   We even have an example right in the post. There two reason: lack of accountability coupled with anonymity of the net and the cliquish nature of social networking. Trolling and bullying is easy on line because one can hide their identity and location. It not like the past where one had to bully   in the face of their victim and risk repercussion such as being ostracized, punished or a punched in the nose.  (I was raised in the 1960 when self defense was a option against bullies)
What more disturbing when the media pick up the immaturity thinking acting immature is the way to be relevant and reach the younger generations.  I see immaturity in reports by the media on furry and Brony groups.
Here is an example, Pajamas media, a group for serious conservative discussion of political issues, thinks they have act like a middle school student  when reporting Brony  fandom.
http://youtu.be/RwcJorJp_Aw