Author Topic: Internet Privacy lost to advertising.  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Internet Privacy lost to advertising.
« on: March 30, 2017, 11:07:41 am »
Internet privacy took another hit. The GOP passed a law thata allows
big business to buy browser tracking data for individuals. Why? So they
can make more money by directing advertising to those online.  Trump
is expected to sign the bill. Not a single democrat voted for it. One of them
said I don't want people to know what kind of underwear I buy.

Here is a link for more info on this subject.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/28/technology/house-internet-privacy-repeal/
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Internet Privacy lost to advertising.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 03:19:11 pm »
This is nothing new. Internet privacy has been steadily going downhill since the early days of Prodigy, Compuserve, and/or even before that. If you think it's bad now, It'll probably get worse more in the future and there's nothing we can do to stop it. No matter where you go or what you do on the Internet, people will know about it.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 03:55:46 pm »
Browser tracking data has already been obtained by the government for years, without your consent and without a warrent. If you have been thinking you had privacy before, think again. If you truly want privacy there are tools available -like using open source, privacy aware browsers; Tor; and add-ons like HTTPS Everywhere, Self-destructing Cookies, and Ublock. People might call you paranoid, but in the end YOU are responsible for your privacy, nobody else.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 09:54:20 pm »
It' really isn't anything new. But now everyone can blame the republican party for something they did. Wonder how the far right 'friends' are taking this.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 10:54:54 am »
We all know the GOP supports those in big business, so this is more of the same.
More money for the rich, and fewer rights for the rest of us.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Kaiden

• Species: Acinonyx Jubatus (Cheetah)
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:08:56 pm »
Browser tracking data has already been obtained by the government for years, without your consent and without a warrent. If you have been thinking you had privacy before, think again. If you truly want privacy there are tools available -like using open source, privacy aware browsers; Tor; and add-ons like HTTPS Everywhere, Self-destructing Cookies, and Ublock. People might call you paranoid, but in the end YOU are responsible for your privacy, nobody else.

I think I love you!

But yeah, I don't really care if the gov't or a business wants to know what undies I buy, I think half of them will be scarred when they see my FA page, plus that of other furs. 
Every now and then...

Offline Holt5

• Species: Artistic theologian-philosopher
  • Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:34:21 pm »
Other possible helpers in keeping your privacy secure:

Peerblock blocks known "bad" IP addresses. It's not something to rely on completely, since it's a bit older and it's not going to block everything, but I keep it running when online most of the time anyway. 

Opera is a free web browser that offers a VPN (Virtual Private Network) service. Basically when that is activated it guards your browsing from being tracked. Rather than looking like your traffic is coming from your computer, it will look like it is coming from some other computer and some other location. It does seem a bit finicky though.

Cyberghost offers free wifi/VPN protection. The free version requires you to "wait in line" for a free slot before the wifi protection kicks in - which is usually only a couple minutes of waiting. There may be a time limit on how much you can use it per day too. If you buy the full version you don't have to deal with that though, plus you get protection for a few other things, like BitTorrent.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you will end up not doing anything for anybody." - Malcolm Bane