community group sub-forums > foodie furs

Home made bread. From traditional to no knead refrigerator.

<< < (19/19)

Varg the wanderer:

--- Quote from: cause the rat on May 07, 2018, 01:02:19 am ---That's where you toast the bead in a toaster first. Butter the outsides. Put your cheese in and microwave till the cheese starts to spread out the sides.

--- End quote ---

:D

cause the rat:
You should give it a try Varg. It's awesome.

Tried a new bread recipe over the weekend. This one had a few differences that had me interested in trying it. First was the amount of flour. For two loaves of bread I've been using 31.5 oz. of flour. this recipe called for only 23 oz. With a higher percentage of water. The dough was light and not as sticky as I thought it would be. But did stick and wasn't that easy to handle. The recipe also called for rapid rise yeast. Mostly known as bread machine yeast. There is a difference between this and regular yeast. It's the same strain of yeast. Just processed differently. You end up with more living yeast per oz. So you use less. The recipe also called for starting it with a poolish. The difference being the size of the poolish. (If you don't know what a poolish is see note below.) Usually a poolish is around one cup, or ruffly 14% of the total recipe. This one called for ruffly 53%. Making the flavor very strong in the end product. And it tastes wonderful. After following the direction and baking this was a bit of a failure. The bread fell in the oven. I'm thinking the amount of rapid rise yeast was two high. The yeast simply ran out of food. The bread is still good. Still has an even crumb and great texture. And a really good flavor. I'm thinking of combining parts of this recipe with my go to one and see what i end up with. I also make a batch of my go to. Just so I'd have enough bread for the week.

NOTE
a poolish is when you take equal parts of flour and water. Add a small amount of yeast. Mix and let ferment for up to 24 hours. Covered in your kitchen. The bread you end up with is like home made bread on steroids. The intensity of the flavor depends on the amount of time you allow it to ferment. Most bakeries don't have the time or space to do this. So your home made bread is better tasting than most pro bakeries in business today.

cause the rat:
Well as you may have guessed I didn't make bread last weekend. Started on a few projects that took most of my time. Hoping to get three guitars built this summer. On hold till I get a new jig saw. But that's another subject. Right now I have two loaves in the oven and dough rising on the kitchen table. Even after all these months this is something I look forward to doing. Still haven't got to the 'same ol taste' boredom. Yes my bread is boring. I like white bread. I might try some specialty white bread. Like French or Italian. But it will be white bread. I'll never be an artisan baker. Just good at making everyday bread. And that's fine with me. 

cause the rat:
Still making bread! Stopped for a bit because of time restraints. But not something you can easily walk away from. Because it's fun and tastes great! And it's a food hobby that needs little more than what you may already have. My latest obsession is Ciabatta (chi a batta ) bread. Supper easy to make and great to eat with food. Even better with a light coating of olive oil a bit of salt and a good amount of melted mozzarella cheese.

Is there a real difference between bread and all purpose flour? After a few hundred loaves of bread I can tell you the honest answer. Yes. Bread flour will make a better loaf of bread. But that's structure only. All purpose flour and bread flour have no differences in taste. Historically the flour used in Europe didn't have the percentage of gluten we have in bread flour today. You don't need bread flour to make bread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version