Author Topic: being furry out in the world  (Read 18453 times)

Offline Praxious

• ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
  • Female
being furry out in the world
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:30:22 am »
for all the suiters out there..all those collar wearing, tail doting furries.

whats it like when you go out in public with your things?
whats it like for you, how do you feel..what do others say or do?

do they ask questions? is it frowned upon where you live? are they tolerant of it??

as part of my furry lifestyle, i enjoy puttin on the fur and doin my usual routines..tv, shopping, cooking, cleaning, or just hangin at the movies. and periodicaly i go out with my tail and feets.

i alwase get so many different reactions. some are puzzled, some intruiged. and some will even laugh..yes, it happens.
i personaly dont care about the laughing..its the SMILES that get to me..there is just such wonder in enchanting people and children as they walk by..for that brief moment there inner child comes out when they see me walking by. people want pictures, people ask questions. its such fun. i dont even mind being pulled over for questions its so much fun
shadow hide you..
...may the night mother wrap you in her cold dead embrace

Offline Chiscringle

Re: being furry out in the world
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 08:10:50 am »
I wore my various ears and tails around my college campus for years and the most reaction I ever got was a complement.  When I wore my quad at a small con (small enough that the hotel goers didn't know we were there), I got a crowd of kids and adults wanting to get closer so they could see me and pet me.  Even one kid following me part of the way back to our con area.
My quad: Thrakmon

Wizard lynx: Loramendi

Main furry story: Kindle Store

FA: Chiscringle

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 03:35:04 pm »
I wear my collars, and since it has got colder here, a hat with ears. Most people don't really care. I get a few schoolchildren yelling "here doggy" and laughing, but that is as bad as it has ever got and I don't let it bother me (why should I care what strangers think?)

I felt a bit nervous when I first moved to this area about three years ago and started doing it, but the people here are generally tolerant enough to at least not bother you. You will get some odd looks if you wear something out of the ordinary, but that's to be expected really.

People have complimented me on the hat. :)

(Edited for spelling)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:52:07 pm by Loc »

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Tyrannus The Demon

• Your Worst Nightmare.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 03:39:22 pm »
i have no ears,tail but i have a collar :D
i wear it from time to time.
my parents give me kinda strange looks XD
"It all started just a few hours ago...the squad was out on routine patrol across the plains...radio contact started to fail,all we could here were terrible screams...amongst teh screasm and gun-fire,we made-out one cry,'They're coming...they're...everywhere!'."

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 06:20:44 pm »
I love wearing my collar! :D
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/

Offline Necryn

• Female
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 09:29:48 pm »
I don't wear my collar out terribly often, and mostly to events that aren't related to furry.  I've thus far mostly worn my fursuit at conventions, and very rarely around the house.  I have, however, worn ears and tails out and about.

I've gotten mostly positive reactions about the ear and tail sets.  I wore a pair of ears out to Kroger late one night, and one guy noticed and murmured to his girlfriend, "That's so hot."  It was obvious he was talking about the ears.  On other occasions, I've left my ears and tail on when going out to restaurants for dinner while attending conventions, and waitstaff and other customers have mostly been curious.  They often ask for pictures, or ask what the occasion is, though their reactions generally seem positive.  Others have told me I look cute.  Two non-furry friends think it's sexy, and I think I've actually gotten both they and another friend interested in furry as a result of wearing my ears, tail, and suit around them.

The only somewhat negative reactions I've had were one occasion when a kid looked at me and said, "That's not a REAL tail."  On another occasion, an older drunk guy at a sushi restaurant started hitting on me while I had my ears and tail on, and while I didn't really like the attention, I suppose him coming on to me was better than someone getting offended.  I mean, he obviously thought it was sexy or he wouldn't have been hitting on me, right?

I haven't had much reaction lately, but I mostly wear my small, real fox tail when I go out these days.  Most people don't really seem to react to my real tail if they notice it at all.  I wear most of my real animal products (acquired from ethical sources) for spiritual purposes, but I do wear that one tail out some because my non-furry mate is less embarrassed of it than the costume ears and tail.

Offline ChristopherLion

• Species: Lion
  • Male
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 11:27:59 pm »
I have no tails, fursuits or whatnot, but will.  All i have is a bunny costume that does not fit, but can wear ears from it and paw mittens.  Went to sister inlaws house the other night. wore them to her house and entered anouncing that the repair bunny was in.  I was uphoric.  Its awesome.  Now cant wait for a real fursuit.
Don't mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with chocolate. - source unknown

The most common form of despair comes from not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

FFL6arsw A-- C- D H+ M- P+ R+ T++++ W Z? Sm- RLE a++ cl d? e* f h++++ iw j- p- sm#

My FA site and art: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/christopherd./

Offline Mylo

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 03:04:21 am »
I went to the mall a few months ago.  My parents were shopping, and I was bored.  So, walked towards the entrance of the store and I thought, "This is a mall...it'd be nice if I saw other furries." 
Sure enough, not even two minutes later, a whole group of people wearing tails and ears walked in front of me.  I don't know if they were furries, but still, that was pretty coincidental.  As far as how other people reacted: most just ignored them, and some stared for a bit, then went back to their business.  I, on the other hand, was intrigued. 

Offline Praxious

• ಠ_ಠ......*stares*
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:36:03 pm »
if you live in maryland that MIGHT have been my group. we routinely meet at the mall entrance/food court
shadow hide you..
...may the night mother wrap you in her cold dead embrace

Offline SoulFox

• Male
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 03:37:26 pm »
if you live in maryland that MIGHT have been my group. we routinely meet at the mall entrance/food court

hey what mall do you goto?? i live in maryland and i know a couple of bigs ones like arundel mills  :)
Enjoy what you have. But most importantly, nothing will ever be handed to you! Put in effort, the harder you work for something, the more rewarding it is :3

Offline Mylo

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 06:43:17 pm »

hey what mall do you goto?? i live in maryland and i know a couple of bigs ones like arundel mills  :)

I loved that mall!  It was so big!

Offline SoulFox

• Male
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:19:42 pm »

I loved that mall!  It was so big!

so you've been to it!? i live about 20-30mins from there ^_^
Enjoy what you have. But most importantly, nothing will ever be handed to you! Put in effort, the harder you work for something, the more rewarding it is :3

Offline SoulFox

• Male
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 03:02:39 pm »
thats actually where my granddad lives

Offline rosebunny1990

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 07:39:26 pm »
hello

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 07:45:06 pm »
hello

We do have a Greeting forum here:
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php?board=34.0
.......where you can post a greeting thread and introduce yourself. :)

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 12:12:55 am »
I wish I could have accessories to wear about. A church group that has scheduled events would be fun to wear a tail or something since every other kid is all hyped up and already know I'm crazy. But.... The oppressors-I mean parents-are going to be what i have to get passed first. They'd tie me up and throw me in a mental hospital if I even truer to make/buy a tail or something  >:(. I rembrer countless events that I would have worn a tail or leather cuffs to an event.
Maybe the ear hat will pass since winter is coming.
Come find me! More to come!

Offline revnance

• Male
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 02:36:54 pm »
I just wear a tail out in public sin e I don't have a suit yet but people are pretty tolerent
"bark at the moon"

Offline victorwolf

• Male
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 08:39:02 pm »
i wear my collar to B days at school I've gotten some weird looks but i don't pay much attention some people asked me why i was wearing the collar to some people i was a little mean and said "because i can" to other people i told them that i was an anthro fan, and to my friends i told them that i was a furry they didn't care i think it's because i hang out with the anime people. but one of my other friends(also anime fan) who didn't see me wear the collar saw me in the morning either on Wednesday or Friday and he asked me why i was wearing it before i could answer one of my other friends told him before i could. his face was so priceless when he heard the word furry he took 2 steps back and said something i cant really remember but i kinda got the jist of what he said like "thats something you don't hear everyday, or why would you say that its nasty" or something along those lines he's a hater he's always gonna hate but the way he goes about it is really funny(and if i ranted i'm sorry i truly am sorry i didn't mean to)
a rose by any other name smells just as sweet

Offline LaMarCat1

• I ♥ Science!
  • Female
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 05:06:36 pm »
I've wore a collar to school pretty much everyday for 3 years, so everyone expects it from me and stuff. It's nothing new. I sometimes will wear a tail or little ears to school. Most people just think it's cute and such! Some people will be all, "Why are you wearing a tail?" in their snotty little attitudes but I just say "Why not? It's fun and cute!!"
I LOVE wearing my tail and ears out in public that isn't school, like going on road trips or stuff. People really don't mind it.

Offline warriorsfan1812

• Foxes and Wolves ftw!
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 05:19:47 pm »
I LOVE wearing my tail and ears out in public that isn't school, like going on road trips or stuff. People really don't mind it.
I always want to do something different out on road trips, it might be me feeling like a rebellious teenager or something, but I can only imagine how fun it would be to go somewhere where you didn't know ANYONE in furry get up. Maybe it's the lack of social consequences? I haven't worn anything interesting to school, since my mom doesn't want me to make too much of a spectacle of myself. College is going to be fun!

Offline LaMarCat1

• I ♥ Science!
  • Female
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 07:49:30 pm »
I always want to do something different out on road trips, it might be me feeling like a rebellious teenager or something, but I can only imagine how fun it would be to go somewhere where you didn't know ANYONE in furry get up. Maybe it's the lack of social consequences? I haven't worn anything interesting to school, since my mom doesn't want me to make too much of a spectacle of myself. College is going to be fun!

Yeahh same here! People really don't take notice to it though. Guess they're not looking at my butt, which is a good thing I guess. XD
I wear my collars to school and recently, my friend and I have wore our tails to school just for the fun of it! No one really is mean to me about it actually, but they're meaner to her and it makes me sad. But it doesn't effect her at all!! Which is why I look up to her!

Offline warriorsfan1812

• Foxes and Wolves ftw!
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 08:53:25 pm »
Yeahh same here! People really don't take notice to it though. Guess they're not looking at my butt, which is a good thing I guess. XD
I wear my collars to school and recently, my friend and I have wore our tails to school just for the fun of it! No one really is mean to me about it actually, but they're meaner to her and it makes me sad. But it doesn't effect her at all!! Which is why I look up to her!
Wow. You guys are cool :D I am totally thinking about being all awesome and out in the open in senior year, since I will be old enough to make my own decisions with my choice of wardrobe, and if I'm hated on (more likely since I'm a guy) It won't have consequences the next year, because I'll be graduated.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 01:50:16 pm »
I don't wear my ears or tail very often -- mostly at cons.  But, when I do where them at cons, that usually includes a certain amount of travel time around the con area, looking for restaurants or whatnot, where I'm the only obvious furry around.  I've also worn them at sci-fi cons where, again, I'm the only furry (that I can see) around.  And, I'm always surprised by how many compliments I get on the ears.  People either say something like "I like your ears" or "Nice ears," or they just don't seem to notice at all.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Lost_Cause

• Male
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 08:03:55 pm »
I'm tempted to go out in fursut, but after looking about for a bit I found out there may actualy a law that prohibits the wearing of face masks that obscure your identity of public grounds outside of being tied to an event. I am not entirly sure how this is enforced if at all, but my presumption is that at any time if I went out I could be asked to remove my mask. This is slightly worrying :P
Actualy our anti blasphemy law is more worrying than the no masks law but still rather offputting.
It is not something I would want to do alone and so far I have not been able to hook up with many of the local furries.
I’ve made my statement and I stand by it, but I could be wrong.

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 09:15:32 pm »
I've wore a collar to school pretty much everyday for 3 years, so everyone expects it from me and stuff. It's nothing new. I sometimes will wear a tail or little ears to school. Most people just think it's cute and such! Some people will be all, "Why are you wearing a tail?" in their snotty little attitudes but I just say "Why not? It's fun and cute!!"

The last time I wore my green tail to school, I got told to take it off as it was a "Distraction to the learning environment", apparently. However, while i had it on.... I got a lot of sarcastic remarks about it. "nice tail said with a tone that could curdle milk in your stomach. Not a pleasant experience. If I EVER try and wear a tail to school again, it'll be during character day. Or, in college.
Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you