Author Topic: Creating, but not copying?  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Creating, but not copying?
« on: January 08, 2021, 07:27:04 pm »
How the heck do people create the following without accidentally copying someone else's? There must be like tens or hundreds of thousands of names, fursonas, and fursuits in the decades old fandom.

a( Fursona
b) Fursuit
c) Fursona name or fursuit character name.

I mean for example, what if I created a ferret fursona that accidentally had the same name of a famous artist or suiter? Then what? How do other people handle such a situation?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Creating, but not copying?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 10:43:56 am »
Opinions? Anybody?

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 12:34:32 pm »
I don't think there's really much to say about the topic, other than that "tens of thousands" is an extremely small number compared to the number of possible combinations of species, colours, patterns, and other attributes. That's how my fursona manages to be absolutely unique despite being as unoriginal as they get (seriously, I defy you to find a less original fursona than a red fox with no (visible) unusual characteristics :D). To be precise, my fursona does have one notably distinctive attribute: slightly more white markings than is typical for a red fox, particularly on the paws and the top of the muzzle. One tiny difference like that is all it takes.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 11:13:01 am »
I think there is a fursuit database and that also can have character art ref-sheets in it, as well as character name of course.  So that would be a way to search for a name not in use, and a suit type not yet made etc.  It would be exhausting to do a search like that manually.

I am a generic GSD.  The maker of my suit had never made a generic one before, just 2 other GSD types both which were different. 
She was allowed to do it because my being generic means I am just an animal, not a copy of a character.  If I had unique markings, I would be more of a unique character.  However, people can not copy her design because it is hers...
I feel weird about it all.  I did ask for a few sewn in markings and they were not made.  I also asked for a special air-brush marking also. Also not made.  Oh well.  And now does it mean no one can be a GSD that is non-marked?  I hope not...

So back to the topic, I would try google reverse image search or something like that to scan for images , and fursuit databases.  However, for all the fursonas not made into a suit, this gets  a lot harder.  You almost need a web-service to search it all.  I wonder if someone can write such code?
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)