Author Topic: Your first furcon. :V  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Kaiden

• Species: Acinonyx Jubatus (Cheetah)
  • Male
Your first furcon. :V
« on: June 11, 2015, 05:53:52 pm »
Personally I've never been, I kind of imagine it's just a lot of fursuiters, hungry people and like any con with a culture/subculture, artists - Especially the webcomic kind.

But in reality I've never been.

So, what was your first one like? Was it fun, better the next year or did it suck?

What all do you do there? I know I could YouTube it, but that's cheap and might take away the magic of the moment for when it happens (it'll happen eventually - Just not anytime soon).

Is there a certain etiquette when it comes to socializing with other furs? Other than common courtesy and sense of course.

Like "just look at the suit, don't touch it/me" or is the whole "no talking in the suit" rule constantly in effect?

Keep in mind I, like many other furs, don't have a suit either. :P

Every now and then...

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Re: Your first furcon. :V
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:33:50 pm »
OK first off most people are in comfortable street cloths. Few have ears and tails. And even fewer fursuits. Weather they're full or partials.

I find most people talk in fursuit at cons. Approaching a fursuiter and what kind of interaction you can do is really up to the suiter.  Remember there IS a person under there. Best to ask if you can touch or hug. I do know suiters LOVE to talk about their suits. Great way to start a conversation with someone new. You should know beforehand how to approach a fursuiter. They have very limited vision and may not see you. Also it's best to know the hand signals a fursuiter will use for distress, hot or need to be somewhere. They're not being rude when they cross their arms and run off without spending time with you. They could be getting sick.

Etiquette is easy. If you speak well enough to be understood. Start or join in a conversation. As far as catch words go, pawsome, glomp and the like, I don't think I've ever heard anyone use them at a con. Guess that's more of an on line thing. i've met some very socially awkward people at furycons. Some people who stay to themselves. And some who are really into themselves. But mostly very outgoing and social people who are there to have a good time.

As far as youtube goes, cons are nothing like the videos. Now i've only been to smaller conventions. There's a lot of sitting around and talking. Board, card and video games. People going places and the like. Its up to you what you get involved in. I've been to a few room parties. They'er really no different than the parties I've been to outside of the fandom.  Most youtube vids are edited to highlight what every the con goer filmed. So you see one fun thing right after another. Then you have the group of friends videos. A  documentary of all that group did. Kinda lame. But in truth, more of what a con can be like.

To be honest I learned about the fandom from all the wrong things. So my first convention was more of a witch hunt. I didn't find anything wrong. Kind of hard to find things that don't exist. I met a lot of great people. I found people acting like people. Yes there was a strong adult community and artwork. But that's normal in any convention.  There were some awkward moments. But easily overlooked because of the good hearted nature of everyone there. I'm in the fandom today because of the great people I met at my fist furry convention.

I'd say go ahead and watch some youtube vids. Great ones to watch are 'your first furry convention' and ones on the 6, 2 1 rule.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline T-Yoshi45

• 80% Raccoon, 20% Wolf, 100% Awesome!
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 12:32:06 am »
My first Furcon was Anthrocon '14. Began where i felt very awkward but i did eventually find some of the furs from my neck of the woods who were attending as well and from there it became quite the experience. I did some suiting, walked in the fursuit parade, bought and commissioned art and whatnot, then my friends snuck me into the masquerade and afterwards I got to meet a couple of more well known furs so to speak so it was a pretty awesome experience, not to mention it did solidify my friendship with that group. Going again this year so we'll see what happens.

As for fursuiter courtesy, it's considered common courtesy to ask to hug them or take a photo, like for example they'll put them arms out for hugs and whatnot. As for talking in suit, Me and my buddies chat in suit all the time and we never really caught flak for it, not to mention my fursona has his own voice.

As for not having a suit, most people just have a tail or ears. Some cases they just wear plain ol' everyday clothes, heck there's even the occasional cosplayer.

As for the experience, generally best to just experience it for yourself and see what you take from it in all honesty.

Profile pic by Sandy Schreiber, her work's awesome!

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 01:59:59 am »
My first was Furlandia and since I got a fursuit like costume this year was awesome! I saw some people with ears and tails. And a lot of fursiuters including my dad's friend Thrash. And some famous suiters were there too. Like Siber hamster and Raq. 

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:09:14 pm »
My first  fur con was  Raifurrest  2007. The first real life furry I met was Stalking Cat (Rest In Peace) .

I was a newly minted fur. so just relax and be yourself.

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 11:12:10 pm »
Personally I've never been, I kind of imagine it's just a lot of fursuiters, hungry people and like any con with a culture/subculture, artists - Especially the webcomic kind.

But in reality I've never been.

So, what was your first one like? Was it fun, better the next year or did it suck?

My first fur con was Califur 2013! I had so much fun! It was amazing to see the fursuits in person, some people do a fantastic job of staying in character while in suit and it adds to the realism. Not too many people were in suit, but a lot had ears, tails or some kind of furry related shirt/clothing item/bag with buttons to say "Hey there I'm a furry!" I have never smiled so much at a con, it was great fun and I'd love to go again sometime. The best part are lots of hugs and neat things to buy!

What all do you do there? I know I could YouTube it, but that's cheap and might take away the magic of the moment for when it happens (it'll happen eventually - Just not anytime soon).

You can do all kinds of things at a con. Most people go to catch up with friends and party. Others (like me) tend to gravitate towards the artwork and books, sometimes the talks (yes, there are scheduled talks/panels at a furry con!). Immersing yourself is an unforgettable experience.

Is there a certain etiquette when it comes to socializing with other furs? Other than common courtesy and sense of course.

Not all fursuiters like to be hugged! Ask beforehand (unless they are holding up a sign that reads Free Hugs). Other than that...as long as you adhere to the rules of the area where the con is being held, and you maintain a sense of civility and poise, believe me, you will be just fine!

Cons are a great way to make new friends and learn more about furry. And you can buy all kinds of amazing artwork/plushies...sometimes even commission fursuits! Give it a try--it's definitely worth it!
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Honey Bun

• Species: Bunny
  • Scurry Furry Fury!
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:08:36 am »
I've been to the Midwest FurFest twice now. I'll give a quick summary of what I've noticed:

Tons of people in fursuits. Tons of people wearing tails, ears, etc. Lots of people talking and hugging and taking pictures. There are plenty of panels and other similar activities. Pretty much everyone's happy and super friendly. It's pretty awesome and fun. XD
*hops away*

Offline Weirdwolf

• Species: Eudyptula minor (fairy [little] penguin)
  • Call me Cookie! X3
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 12:35:22 pm »
I haven't been to a furry convention yet either, but I know that it's something I'll have to do someday. You see, I'm writing a graphic novel series involving anthro characters that I've been working on for well over a year now, well before I even became a furry. A lot of people, both furry and non-furry, really love what I've been writing so far, even though it's not even close to being finished. I came to the conclusion that if I'm going to get a lot more people interested in reading the books I'm writing, I'll have to market it in the right place, such as a furry convention. I also need to get over a few issues I have with being in a furry convention before I even begin to plan for actually going to any, such as my fears of fursuits and large crowds of people. I feel that it will be an important part of my life to actually go to a furry convention, because that's probably the best way I'll be able to market my books, which will launch my writing career officially. I am eagerly awaiting for that day to come to fruition for me. :)
Dare to be all that you can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wTWWjYTe1I

Offline Literate Lycan

• Species: Gothic grey wolf
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 11:24:59 pm »
I'm planning to attend Further Confusion in two weeks. At this point I'm only going for one day. It's my first furcon but not my first fandom con.

I hope not to look like a slightly bewildered parent who's lost track of their kid somewhere in the con. In fact, I'm the one going to the con. My kids are not.
"All stories are about wolves..." -- Margaret Atwood, "Blind Assassin"

Avatar by Blitzy Arts : www.blitzy-arts.weebly.com

FA: www.furaffinity.net/user/varek-wolf
Twitter: @VarekWolf

Furry code: FCWh3a A- C D H+ M- P- R+ T W Z Sm- RLGP a+++ cm+ e+++ f h++++ i+ j p+

Offline Samurai Kai

• Species: Snow Leopard
  • Hero of Hisakawa
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 06:04:20 pm »
VancouFur!
If you feel like you don’t belong in this world, it is because you are here to help create a new one.

Offline Literate Lycan

• Species: Gothic grey wolf
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 02:49:17 am »
First day at Further Confusion 2016 and I am hooked. I don't have a hotel reservation so I'm commuting 2+ hours to and from San Jose. Going back for a second day.

One of the first things I discovered: I need a better camera than what's on my iPhone.
"All stories are about wolves..." -- Margaret Atwood, "Blind Assassin"

Avatar by Blitzy Arts : www.blitzy-arts.weebly.com

FA: www.furaffinity.net/user/varek-wolf
Twitter: @VarekWolf

Furry code: FCWh3a A- C D H+ M- P- R+ T W Z Sm- RLGP a+++ cm+ e+++ f h++++ i+ j p+

Offline twitchmeerkat

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 05:27:28 pm »
I too am heading to my first con in a few weeks, really excited for it. It's also the first  time this particular con has been held.

Offline twitchmeerkat

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 05:19:00 am »
I have just returned from my first con... What a blast it was too. Just fur the weekend 2016,  it was the first time it was held too. Ask questions?

Offline Kaiden

• Species: Acinonyx Jubatus (Cheetah)
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 01:17:40 pm »
I have just returned from my first con... What a blast it was too. Just fur the weekend 2016,  it was the first time it was held too. Ask questions?

I've already asked questions, please re-read first post?
Every now and then...

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 11:05:09 pm »
My first one was FCN 09 and went on Sunday only. First fursuiter I talked to was Wilson T. Longtail, aka Tiltpaw. Also met Roxikat (not suited). Wore my first version of my coyote character. Later took part in the fursuit games and seemed to be getting love from the crowd. The Dorsai Irregulars wanted their picture taken with me too.
Also met Uncle Kage. He was worried I might catch him during Re Light/Green Light. I was hooked.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Robert_Silvermyst

• Species: Archangel Wolf
  • High King of Furgasta
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 03:17:25 am »
My first furcon was last year, Furpocalypse. Despite being in the fandom since 1996, I never really knew about these conventions. Most of my time was spent roleplaying and world building, aside from school and studies.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 09:33:10 am »
Youtube away Kaiden, it won't take anything away from the experience. Video is one thing, but it's like a movie; once you are surrounded by people, and the fursuiters are no longer people in costumes in your mind (and that will happen once you stop thinking about it) its like you are living in a whole other world where the husband/wife german shepherd couple, the tiger a wolf hearding around a wolf pup and an ocelot kit together, and the reindeer holding the door for the sound technician are perfectly normal, every day occurrences.  And that's how you see them: the humans inside cease to exist until someone pulls their head off.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson