Author Topic: learning to growl, bark etc  (Read 17355 times)

Offline Jake

• aka Aurora
  • Male
Re: learning to growl, bark etc
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2012, 09:57:45 pm »
I could never growl or bark very well.
I used to be able to yip and whimper though.

Offline Dj sky jr

• Male
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2012, 10:02:53 pm »
 i love to growl. i mess with pip all the time. :)

Offline HaniaThePariah

• Species: Jaguar
  • "Why run from a hardship when you can overcome it"
  • Male
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2012, 12:39:44 am »
I can growl, but I can't say, emulate a Jaguar's roar, though I wish I could do so.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:45:24 pm by HaniaThePariah »
"We just kind of did our own thing and got made fun of by the popular kids. It was kind of like a badge of honor to be an outcast."
     -Mark Hoppus

"You shall not stand in my way" - Gabriel Belmont

"Compassion breeds caring. Alienation breeds disrespect."
                   - Marc Bekoff

Offline Candykisses

• Female
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »
I do growl/hiss/bark/snarl. You name it, everytime I playfight with my cousin a yip when I get hurt.. but I always end up winning.
Yeah, I kinda learnt on my own, but barking was because of my dogs.
Yipping was my dogs (so was whining), hissing my cats, Growl and howl was on my own.

Offline AikaCoonCat

• Icon by Uriko44
  • Female
    • Aika's Commissions
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2013, 09:48:44 pm »
I am a cat, and I meow. very well~
I learned from my cats over the years, can sound like a kitten to a full grown tom cat yowl. lol which is funny seeing I am female :P

Offline Holly Wolf

• No.
  • Female
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2013, 06:03:26 pm »
I have a tendency to growl when I'm angry, and I love scaring my sister away by barking.

When I'm around my cat or other cats sometimes I'll mew or hiss.
Avast! Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear. For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!

Furtopia's own hater girl.

Offline Fledgling

• Chirra Firestar + Shambles
  • Female
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2013, 08:13:19 pm »
I think I just learned it from imitating other animals. I can bark and howl pretty well, growl, hiss, shriek, snarl, meow and pidgeon-coo very well, and I can sort of do a crow caw, but it doesn't sound very good yet. I want to be better at bird sounds. They're hard because birds have a different vocal tract than mammals.

Offline Keo

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2013, 08:23:56 pm »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:13:12 pm by Keo »

Offline Revant

• Hi there.
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2013, 09:09:21 pm »
When I was far younger, I'd make a lot of canid noises.
I'd growl/snarl (I actually used to have the nickname growler once...), whine, bark (usually negatively), whimper, murmurr (it's a low sound that might be confused for a short low purr, it's done when content, I call it that because it's the cross between a murr and a murmur), yip/yelp, chirp and I'd sometimes howl (mostly in greeting, but I had urges to do it more, it's like when I felt the need of attention while out I'd feel like doing it more, it's like releasing tension, like a sigh for me).

This behavior came suppressed, one reason for this is bullying and living with my parents who'd think such as weird behavior.
I only make really low sounds now under my breath or when playing with my parents' dog. With my voice changing over time, I have been finding it harder to actually make some of these sounds.

I can make sounds like other animals, such as cats, but it's mostly to just get their attention, like when to say that their dinner's ready.

That... is EXACTLY my story!!! My parents accepted it completely though. I remember the bullies... they barked at me... they didn't even do it correctly...
What color is a chameleon on a mirror?
Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.

Offline Keo

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2013, 10:27:24 pm »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:13:34 pm by Keo »

Offline Dunnydude29

« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2013, 11:00:02 pm »
I have to consider myself blessed that I've never been bullied, and that I'm one of the "cool guys" But I wish popularity didn't exist, because then everyone would get accepted, bullying wouldn't happen, and everyone would get along with each other. I've always done some sort of sound, not really animal like, sort of like a nervous tick. But I'm lucky I wasn't made fun of because of that.
Keo, I know what you must have gone through was hard, but don't let being shy and your past stop you from being furry. If others don't accept you just because you make a quiet animal sound, then something is wrong with them.
As we all get older, then people won't stop us from doing what we want; I've already asked for a collar, but my parents think that would be absurd. But I bet that if I ask in a year, they'll say yes. ;)

Offline Revant

• Hi there.
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2013, 01:11:27 pm »
That... is EXACTLY my story!!! My parents accepted it completely though. I remember the bullies... they barked at me... they didn't even do it correctly...

My parents were very busy when I was far far younger, my mom was a child minder so for the most part she probably didn't notice it much as more than playing.
When I moved houses, though, it was a 100 mile or so move, I lost a lot of my friends and became far more quiet and bewildered (my parents took me to a psych test and I was diagnosed with autism/asperges when really I was just shy and getting bullied by the new crowd who weren't familiar with my ways). Eventually the bullying got so bad, I took a trip down a few flights of stairs (that hurt, yes), many other incidents also happened. Eventually I was home-schooled and became a game/internet-loving recluse (and I really dislike being alone). Not too far back, I discovered furrydom and also discovered therians/otherkin. I have visions of past life experiences as non-humans, and I have for a long time - and the behavior I am inclined to is linked to this. I can somewhat demonstrate sounds and non-vocal behavior online and that makes me feel happy, and that by the help of furries/therian/otherkin. I am, however, somewhat too scared to become "vocal" and from human form it does seem a little... odd to me, still, I mean from the outside it seems really quite weird I guess in terms of the social norm.

I'm not sure if I remember the bullies barking at me, they probably did in scorn, my memory is a bit patchy there. I was just, attacked, I would have a group come up to me calling me names and they'd pull me about, not really hurting me, I would whimper, whine and I'd even sometimes big up and growl a bit but they'd just laugh. I'd stick around teachers and some kids, they'd be like, "why are you following me, don't be so close" but I was just trying to find security, and at this point I also developed agoraphobia (which in the last 4 or so years has become severer to the point I can't even go out, especially alone - though, I have always had casadastraphobia, it seems, by now I have it everywhere). I had to stick to a small group of people, I remember being with two other people, who were tbh, slightly weirder/nerdy to the rest (since everyone else found me weird, they seemed more of a fitting group, but even they thought my behavior was weird so most of the time I was just quiet). In class I'd sit at a table and growl at irritations, bite my sleeves and eat my pencils. I also had an affinity to pant fast sometimes after bursts of exercise, only that with underlying asthma lead to some bad experiences. One favorite thing kids would do to me in the classroom was stick in pins in me. I'd sometimes get irritated by them and snarl while trying to fight tooth and claw like but whenever I did (I don't think I ever even caused any damage), I'd get detention - and I always the one getting that, I just want to be left alone and accepted. The abuse was verbal and physical, and everyone looked at me like I was a freak. Thereafter, and after taking a downstairs tumble, especially, I was (as said before) home-schooled, I luckily only had about 4-5 years (until 12 years of age). I'm pretty sure I'd have died by now or something if I went to high school with that same crowd forever attacking me... Though, I felt like I missed out so much of my puphood in this life. Also, I wish I found furries at a younger age, now I want to be a furry artist and I only just started drawing just recently which is my biggest nuisance, and I hope to find people like me as I find I have been more and more - I'm quite interested in live playing even in a RP setting, although I'm really just RPing out my more animal ways when I do, as I'm sure plenty others enjoy doing. I want to even go to cons/meets, may be eventually fursuit even (there isn't anything closer to represent your more animal self in the flesh, right?), but my dilemma is phobias and family, confidence and I don't even feel like I want to associate my human life with furry and that, not that I hate my image (I'd same I'm average with some physical/medical problems) or that but I don't feel like people would expect me or stereotypical furry (silly, I know, furries are very diverse; but also, what if my bullies recognise me and continue to haunt me? And I don't want my family throwing me out or hating/mocking me... I have all kinds of fears there, some may be just irrational, but... idk). I see some fursuiters and furries/therian/otherkin in general who enjoy making non-human sounds, especially, though, often very well. But for now anything verbal or non-verbal in terms of non-humanness is suppressed - and it makes me depressed.

Sorry if this is a long read, I'm just ranting on my bad memories.

Take away the first paragraph, cons, therianthropy, and some other small details and anyone knows me well could think I wrote that. Really. Comparing my story to yours... I don't even know what else I could add to make it look more like mine. I guess it's just a normal thing to feel like that and have those problems in this world we live. People can be evil, very evil sometimes.  I sent you a PM, btw.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:19:04 pm by Revant »

Offline Keo

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2013, 04:17:18 pm »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:13:39 pm by Keo »

Offline Fledgling

• Chirra Firestar + Shambles
  • Female
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2013, 07:20:58 pm »
Keo, that sounds exactly like me when I was in school. Especially middle school. I got bullied constantly, but to be honest I was kind of asking for it :P It probably would have been smarter for me to not flaunt my animality so much during those years, but I was way too proud to hide anything like that. Good news is that people stop caring so much by college at the latest.

Offline Dunnydude29

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2013, 08:50:07 pm »

But has your family mocked you for being therian?  I'm sure they wouldn't; after all, they're your family!

As for being bullied, keep in mind that it's full of good people who are ready to befriend you. And from the looks of it, you seem like a great guy. Being shy is a horrible thing, and I can relate. I'm so shy to the point when someone I actually know talks to me, I respond while looking at my shoes; no eye contact. But I'm lucky that in my school, we all have a close bond, because it's a very small school. So it helped get rid of my shyness a little. But still, when I'm in a new situation, I just lose it.
If for whatever reason you get thrown out, you've got a whole fandom backing you up.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:34:27 pm by Dunnydude29 »

Offline Revant

• Hi there.
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2013, 08:56:28 pm »
You should not let anyone's comment on furry sadden you, no one but your creator can decide whats wrong and whats right. Only a furries will understand furries most of the time. Most furries seem to have these weird ideas since the moment they can, you are not alone.

Edit: Learned how to purr, no very realistic but its decent.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:07:00 pm by Revant »

Offline Scarlegs

• Hey...Hey kid.....Wanna buy a dishwasher?
  • Female
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2013, 05:47:29 pm »
I can only meow and make chirping sounds like a cat  :-[
I copied mine though, so maybe you could copy a dog/wolf?
FF FFD3adm A+ C- D H++ M+ P++++ R- T+++ W Z- Z- Sf-- a- e- f++ h* i++ p++
Here is my DA http://scarlegs.deviantart.com/
#A38CF3 < Just a reminder!

Offline Liamb763

• Generic Wolf
  • Male
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 06:32:43 pm »
I've been trying to teach myself how to growl (I think furry lifestyling is interesting, probly gona get into it!), but it sounds like the zombie pigman sound from Minecraft. I think my voice is too high atm, maybe when i'm older.
"Sometimes I go to my own little world. They know me there."-Albert Einstein. Fur code:FCWf3a A C- D++ H+ M P+ R- T+++ W-- Z Sm-- RLU a- cn++ d- e-- f- h* i+ j- p+ sm#

Offline rat

• Species: Rat
  • #define TRUE FALSE
  • Male
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2014, 01:51:32 am »
I'm struggling to learn how to squeak.
Furcode
FRRcfm3admrs A+ C- D++++ H++ M P+ R+ T++++ W- Z Sm++ RLCT* a! cablmu++++ d++++ e! f++++ h! iwf+++ j p- sm+

Offline The Rockin Hyena

• Male
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2014, 11:54:25 pm »
I actually have a gift for animal sounds. I can bay really loud like a hound dog, bellow like a bull and a young calf, bray like a donkey and of course woop, laugh and whine quite loudly like a hyena. Oh, I forgot about the chicken, don't get me started on the chicken.