not-so-furry discussion > news forum

Banning books on race and gender.

(1/3) > >>

Kobuk:
In the last several months, there's been a flurry of activity in Texas, Florida, and other states to ban or limit books in schools and libraries on the topics of race and gender. It doesn't matter whether the books are fiction or non-fiction, books for adults or books for children, and everything in between.
Here is just one example news story:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/07/us/book-bans-school-changes-reaj/index.html

How do you feel about books being banned on race and gender topics? Or any other topic?
Do you agree with the bans or do you believe that you should have the right to decide for yourself what you want or not want to read, and not have politicians or other people decide for you?

Me? I'm all for book freedom. I will decide for myself what I want to read. Not somebody else. You can have my book (whatever it may be) when you pry it from my cold dead paws. :goldpissed:

cause the rat:
So how else do we know that banned books... Nazi Germany. Simple equation. Nazi = Republican therefor Republican = Nazi.

Kay Alett:

--- Quote from: cause the rat on September 08, 2022, 01:00:25 am ---So how else do we know that banned books... Nazi Germany. Simple equation. Nazi = Republican therefor Republican = Nazi.

--- End quote ---
That's a bit Godwin-y Cause but I will say that no one good or on the side of equal freedoms has banned books and/or knowledge. Republican or Democrat or other.

Firelight:
Why the fork are we still banning books?! Kids and adults need books like these and if they start banning warrior cats then I'll have lost what little faith I have in humanity  :goldbloody:

Simo:

--- Quote from: cause the rat on September 08, 2022, 01:00:25 am ---So how else do we know that banned books... Nazi Germany. Simple equation. Nazi = Republican therefor Republican = Nazi.

--- End quote ---

Spoken like a true leftoid. Stalinist Russia, Maoist China, and all their vassal states banned books too. I'm sure North Korea still does. So what's your point? Authoritarian regimes gotta authoritarien.

It's a false equivalency when it comes to discussions as to what materials are age appropriate for children. Censoring adults is never acceptable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version