Author Topic: how did you find the furry fandom  (Read 14311 times)

Offline the lone shadow wolf

• Species: eurasion wolf with a little silver fox
  • dont mind me just telecomuting from the darkness
  • Male
how did you find the furry fandom
« on: March 11, 2014, 09:24:00 pm »
i found it a long time ago. it started when i went to an art store and ran into a bunch of of art books i found one that caught my eye yet never saw the title all i saw was humanoid animals (so to speak) i looked at it for a solid 20 minutes and was hooked on it yet never knew.

a year later i found it again let wasent able to read fur long yet caught a glimpse of the tilte "how to draw furries," but still dident remember it :goldhowl:

two years later i was searching the subject on humanoid animals for two and a half hours till i ran into the word "furry" then looked at the meaning (in secret) for a week till i ran into the website furtopia. once i read all about it would have to say i agreed with the meaning and realized i seemed to have the charecteristics of a wolf yet can be shy at times
I will see you all soon
in the future :goldgrin:

if you wish to find me elsewere look here
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/theloneshadowwolf/

check out my latest art here V
http://forums.furtopia.org/artwork-techniques-tutorials/the-lone-shadow-wolf-will-improve!/50/

Offline bkatt500

• Female
    • My Deviantart
Re: how did you find the furry fandom
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:50:19 pm »
I played Neopets and made comics and stories for it.  I started shifting away from using their worlds and making my own, but my characters retained their anthro-animal appearance.  I learned about what 'furry' was through deviantArt and a couple years later decided to use the word for myself.
<a href=http://bkatt500.deviantart.com/>Check me out on deviantArt!</a>

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 05:00:21 am »
finding the fandom:
3 years ago when i was around 12 1/2 i saw a "1000 ways to die" episode. like most tv shows they made us look bad.... for a few months i thought furries were weird people then one day i brought it up near my brother and he said that that was not what furries were i then asked him what is a furry then and he said that i am too immature to know what a furry was..... that night i searched up furry and realized that i was one for my whole life (enjoyed anthros my whole life)

getting involved in the fandom:
 after finding out what furries really were for about 2 years i didn't do much till about 1 year ago i started listening to a few furry music videos and tried to draw furries. then about 9 months ago i met a fellow furtopian on youtube we talked he showed me this sight and i have been here for 9 months now. so pretty much i started at 12 and went till now as a furry. with in the past year a lot of things have changed in my life and being a furry played a big role because if i wasn't a furry i wouldn't be talking to any one. i don't feel comfortable telling any one irl anything i only feel comfortable talked with sciex and people here. *lists a bunch of more stuff that being a furry helped/changed*

there is more to what being a furry has done for me but don't want to get off topic with it ^^

Edit: just would like to add if i never found this fandom i would have never met sciex, and so far that has been the best thing to happen in my life <3 

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 06:25:23 am »
I liked some anthro art before I knew what anthro art was (I only saw it because I looked at stuff one of my Deviant art friends Favorited). I also liked Werewolf art and Feral art (I did not know what feral art was either. I was also exposed to this only because of a friend). So before I knew what Furries or fursonas were I always liked the idea of a Werewolf that could control transformations (Because not being able to control them would suck). However, now I'd just rather be my Fursona.

About 1.5 years later on I knew a bit about furries but didn't actually research it or try to get into it (One of my friends actually though that Furries raped animals >.> He knows better now. At the time of this comment I thought that this is untrue and didn't really see how such artwork could be related to such things). I didn't know there was more than just the art side. One afternoon during the school holidays (About 4 months later) I was looking up some tutorials oh how to draw fur on youtube and it came up with the video "Furry tutorial - basics" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLlqN7tHyFM

I though the tutorial looked pretty cool so I did it even though it wasn't originally what I was looking for. I then did some google searching to find out what Furries were and later came across a video on youtube that led me to this great community :) I saw a few Fursuit videos and though it was pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJD7GbkG96w

Browsing though this forum I fount that there were "People like me" and decided to join.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:31:03 am by Sciex »

Offline Magna

• Female
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:17:05 pm »
I forget how or where, but I saw some of Dark Natasha's artwork online. Looked at her website, that lead me to Goldenwolf's artwork, and from there some of Beastcub's fursuits! I was hooked from there.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:22:24 pm »
I'm lazy, so i'll just quote something i posted last time this question came up.  (Note the bad grammar, sub-par spelling, and poor punctuation.)

Heard of the fandom out of chance, and hadn't heard of it.  found the disturbing stuff first.  i found it repulsive (but not disturbing.  the way i see it, nothing can be as disturbing as what i could create should i willingly do so), but i continued my research until i had many sides of the story, as well as doing my own evaluation of it.  i knew that some part of me belonged here, so i tried it out. i tried F4L first, and people seemed friendly enough, but not very productive...  found this one, which caught my eye from the second i saw it, because as hard as i tried, i found nothing to complain about.  as soon as i saw the RP section, i went and completely read the 10 most resent threads (except for the vampire one that's over 100 pages long.) and i was hooked.  joined up and expected to have to climb my way up the totem pole, and was contacted by the ringleaders almost immediately.  this shocked me, and i knew i found exactly what i was looking for.

something i might add.  i asked all of my friends if their opinions of me would change should i join a fandom with a bad rap.  according to them, i'm already as weird as the rest of them (one of which is a broney) so it wouldn't make any difference.  now those are some real friends, ones who can hear that you do something that they strongly disagree with, and still be friends. (not that they even disagreed to begin with, as they were indifferent)

I was thinking about it the other day, and i know how i got here... started with D&D, and and the RPGs me and my friends would do.  I had always loved the animal races, such as kobolds and gnolls, and while searching for images, came across some pretty cool art, mainly done by furries.  I followed those to the sites they were posted on, and needless to say, i found some... things we don't talk about around here... i ignored that, and though nothing of it, as my view of the internet in general is 'you never know what you'll find, and you search at your own risk.'  anyway, though the art, i slowly pieced together the fandom, and was mildly interested in joining, but i did quite a bit of research first, and quickly found that it is a very diverse and almost fragmented group of people, so i looked for one that would be worth my time.  I went here first, as it seemed the most promising, but i also joined F4L while i was waiting to for my application to be accepted here.  The place seemed friendly enough... but it seemed unproductive and unorganized... once my application was approved, i joined in, and so far, i couldn't be any more pleases with the place.  so yeah... that's pretty much what happened.

Wonderfully written, ain't it?

Offline Fuyurin

• Female
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 02:59:56 pm »
I was a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan since I was a wee girl. I got into the comics and when I got older I became internet buddies in the fandom who also happened to be furry and I learned from them.

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:11:33 pm »
Loved Sonic and Crash bandicoot since I was little. But I guess youtube helped too. I saw a quadsuit for the first time and was hooked! If you want to see it here's the link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-F3Hw9QJlE&index=9&list=PLwrz2fs_T5j_HV98ec2ZOWnzg5tWr0u8I

Offline Remley Bishop

• Species: Hooded Rat
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 11:18:37 am »
When I was very young, I watched cartoon like most kids.  I liked various animal characters, such as Donald Duck.  I remember reading a short story involving a kid being transformed into a duck by a witch. 

As I grew older, I gravitated towards various furry things, mostly cartoons and some comics.  At the age of about 7, I watched The Secret of NIMH in the theaters (I saw a later release as I was living overseas at the time) and for the first time I dreamt of myself as a furry.  Very strong vivid dreams that repeated several nights. 

Time went on, as a teen I watched cartoons still and read animal themed books (not exclusively, just when I could find them) and collected furry themed RPGs. One of the books I read was Watership Down by Richard Adams. 

Again time passed, and I was in college.  I got a part time job as a computer lab monitor for the statistics lab (I was a computer science major myself) and wanted to waste time.  I had not really used the web before, just used local bulletin boards.  I searched for things on the web that I liked at the time; movies, books, that kind of thing.  I searched for "Watership Down" and got a link to FurryMUCK.  This was my first exposure to the word Furry, and it intrigued me to know others had similar interests.  I researched furry, and learned of both the "dark side" and the "light side" of the fandom, and decided to join in anyway.  I was in my early 20s and finally connected to people I could feel at home with discussing my interests.

So yeah, long story, but that is how I found the fandom.

Offline xracecar

• Species: Umbreon
  • ^ I'm totally original
  • Male
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 05:16:55 pm »
     I found this when I tried looking for a forum that had people walking digitigrade, though those are old posts. I bet you can find them in these categories. And yes, I do walk digitigrade.
"I'm hungry,"
"Dude! You just ate lunch!"

"When in doubt, C4!" -Jaime Hyneman

FCW2adrw A-- C- D? H M? P R++ T+++ W Z? Sm? RL-* a- cmn++++ d++ e- f-- h+ iw++ j+ p sm--

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 12:51:33 pm »
I found the therian community first. I was introduced to Furry by a friend I made on a therian chatroom, a fox by the name of LaSkivolaVulpo. He introduced me to the usenet group alt.lifestyle.furry and I spent a lot of time in my early days on the internet there.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 12:34:18 pm »
I have been a fan of anthropomorphic animal cartoon
characters since my early childhood. I probably would
have been happy to have been Bugs Bunny's cousin at
the time.  :D

I first found the fandom online in 1997. I was looking for
fake fur to make a toy dog.  Upon searching for the fur
I found Furrymuck. Out of curiosity I joined, and that
led to furry art where I joined "Yerf".

Eventually I found one of my drawings posted on Furtopia in
what was then the "Furryart Parade". That's how I found furtopia,
and joined in March of 2005.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:36:23 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline KCfox

• Your friendly neighbourhood fox :3
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 07:35:27 pm »
I have a furry friend. I'm into animals in general so I'm a furry on many levels ;3

What's therrian community?

Oh I love bugs bunny, too. Whats up Doc? (:
I have no idea what I am doing.

Offline greenfox

• Species: Fox
  • struct fox_t = { .color = COLOR_GREEN };
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 02:25:59 am »
I first heard of the fandom mentioned in passing on the radio a few months ago, and I thought "Huh, that sounds interesting."  Thus ensued a few weeks of internet research;  It sounded like fun to me, and I wanted to get involved someplace nice and friendly, so eventually, I decided to make an account here. :)

Loving it so far ;).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:21:38 pm by greenfox »
"Vira pyveþ maze lirno kaietello jai."
I am only a lone man with ten-thousand dreams.

Weasyl: http://www.weasyl.com/~quyk

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 01:08:08 pm »
I have a furry friend. I'm into animals in general so I'm a furry on many levels ;3

What's therrian community?

Oh I love bugs bunny, too. Whats up Doc? (:

The therian community is a bunch of people who believe that they are animals either spiritually or psychologically. But it isn't as accepting as the Furry fandom. Basically if you don't conform to a set of arbitrary rules regarding what you are, how you came to discover it and when you discovered it then you won't be welcome in any communities. A lot of them are kind of elitist. I don't have much use for therians or otherkin anymore. I'd rather stick to Furry Fandom. At least most furries don't have sticks shoved so far up their butts they're poking out of the top of their skulls.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline FurryGayBoy

• Male
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 09:36:37 am »
The great and holy interwebz!

Offline Mu Rho Ni

• Male
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 11:04:27 am »
^all praise the all powerful interweb. I found out about the fandom on you tube actualy. I was just going through videos and the "if you like this you may also like..." Selections and came upon a video of a man fursuiting for his 3-4 year old son who used to be afraid of people in suits like that. I think it was labled first time fursuiting. Needless to say dem feels were over 9,000.
Great men are forged in fire, it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame. (The real 9th doctor)

Though the morrow is barren of promise ,nothing shall forestall my return. (Genesis FFVII crisis core)

Sir Macaroni. Master of the universe by day. Door to door macaroni salesman by night.

Offline BassCreator

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 09:11:49 pm »
I have Aztec ancestors, and animals mixed with humans are a large part of our culture, so when I saw anthropomorphic art, I loved it and wanted to make it myself.

Offline Haidurr

• Female
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »
One day, I went on youtube.  :)

Offline The Rockin Hyena

• Male
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 11:48:26 pm »
I found it one day while I was looking for 'What Did The Fox Say' clips on YouTube.

Offline the lone shadow wolf

• Species: eurasion wolf with a little silver fox
  • dont mind me just telecomuting from the darkness
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 06:15:28 pm »
these are all very good
never would have guessed these reasons
anyone else :)
I will see you all soon
in the future :goldgrin:

if you wish to find me elsewere look here
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/theloneshadowwolf/

check out my latest art here V
http://forums.furtopia.org/artwork-techniques-tutorials/the-lone-shadow-wolf-will-improve!/50/

Offline Captainwumbo

• Species: Penguin
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 08:33:06 pm »
First heard of the furry community/fandom through a friend back in 5th/6th grade (They were and still are a furry as well) So then I slowly attached myself "into" it I suppose. In 11th grade now c;
waddlewaddle~

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 04:03:03 pm »
I've been interested as long as I can remember, but I discovered the fandom via Therianthropy
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline WhiteAkitaKeiko

• Species: hug loving American Akita
  • I will find you, and I will hug you
  • Female
    • My FA
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 06:57:46 am »
I've been interested as long as I can remember, but I discovered the fandom via Therianthropy
I found the fandom the same way as you Varg.
Icon by myself

Choose wisely who you hate and hunt.
Because the shot you've used..might've been fatal

Offline Mimi the Angel Dragon

• Species: I'm an angel dragon with a cat like face.
  • Female
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 10:57:31 am »
I had known of furrys for a while but every time I surched for pics of furrys the majority of them where over sexualised anthropomorphic animal drawings and I didn't want to be associated with that so whent on being a therian (believed that I was a human with an animal sole) then I watched a vid on YouTube of a furry at petsmart, the fursuit was really cute so I looked for more vids found that most make Fursonas so I made Mimi, didn't know what type of animal to have until I watched a vid of an angel dragon called Cherry Blossom, looked for more vids on angel dragons found telephone, blaze, purl and a working progress on sonar. I used mostly angel dragon but went for a more feline face and pupils. I'm hoping to start working on Mimi as a fursuit soon.
🐾