Author Topic: Killing animals in games  (Read 10427 times)

Offline Shim

• Male
Re: Killing animals in games
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 01:11:17 am »
Those rats aren't going to kill themselves and drop Humanity.

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 04:16:38 am »
Species bias, I'm a canine, thus I attempt to re frame from the unnecessary deaths of other canines... unless the game forces me to ... *hugs Sif (Dark Souls)* TwT
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 08:03:55 am »
In farcry 4 its really  different  usually animals don't squirt  up in your face the blood flows down
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 07:09:44 am »
I have no issue with it. They're not real.

Offline JonasTheDude

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 12:31:58 pm »
It depends about the game I'm playing. If  it's MC i have no problem with killing those cubic animal like creatures.
For most of the games: If it's cute i feel bad about killing it. If it's ugly i have no problem killing it. :D

Usually when i play skyrim i use the calm spell ("sedative" effect) on animals and just walk past them. But if it's pack of wolves i just brutally kill them. Because 1. The spell is single target and it drains lot of magic 2. The wolves in normal skyrim textures aren't that nice looking 3. They are coded as aggressive animals.

And humans are animals too so...
Killing humans in games? I can answer my opinion about that in one mission name "No Russian". (one of my favorite mission)

Still waiting for game where you can play as dragon

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 04:50:39 pm »
It exists. Divinity 2 and Dinvity: Dragon Commander are two that spring to mind.

The only animals I won't kill in games are passive/neutral lizards and other reptiles. Mainly because I usually game with Dany on my lap and she looks mildly disapproving.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 07:20:16 pm »
Once when I was playing Minecraft, I had a doggy following me around. It was actually the first time I had tamed a wolf.
And for those that don't know, when a pet is following you in minecraft, if it gets too far away, it will teleport back to where you are.
Well, I was up on a tall structure I was working on, and was in a particularly narrow area, and the doggy came out with me. It then fell off, whined from the fall damage, teleported back and immediately fell off again...  this happened like four of five times in a row before I had time to react. The doggy died and I felt absolutely terrible after that.

Offline Aloneness

• Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2015, 10:01:50 pm »
It exists. Divinity 2 and Dinvity: Dragon Commander are two that spring to mind.

The only animals I won't kill in games are passive/neutral lizards and other reptiles. Mainly because I usually game with Dany on my lap and she looks mildly disapproving.

Don't kill me loc but I still kill geckos after I get the animal friends perk in the fallout games ^^- the only things in games I won't kill are canine class animals, which is why I refuse to play Dark Souls, cause Sif :<
Ren's Translation Note:

Avi by Haru

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2015, 10:11:03 pm »
Don't kill me loc but I still kill geckos after I get the animal friends perk in the fallout games ^^-
You monster D':

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Aloneness

• Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 10:14:06 pm »
C'est la vie, I'm a canine call it species bias :/ *shrugs*
Ren's Translation Note:

Avi by Haru

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 08:01:54 am »
If Far Cry has taught me anything, it is that every animal in existence is an evil man-eating monster that wants nothing more than to slaughter you for the sheer sport of it.

My response is to shoot literally anything that moves with the biggest gun i can find.  I'm yet to find a reason to seek out a less violent solution. x_x
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:31:39 pm by HazardJackal »

Offline C05M0515

• Female
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2016, 03:26:37 pm »
You're pretty lucky in that rabbits are rarely made enemies in games. In fact I've been playing video games since the very early 80's and I can't think of a single game that had rabbits as villainous characters.
Unfortunately for me some of the animals I identify with most are frequently used as enemies. Dogs, wolves, rats and dragons. Furbys on the other hand are owned by Hasbro and the chances they'd allow them to be used negatively in anything is nil so that's at least one break.
In Terraria rabbits die allot :o The zombies and slimes kill them just by touching them.
One time in Terraria, it was night and I saw a rabbit outside, so I opened the door to my house, and was like, "Get in here bunny rabbit! Quickly!!!" And right as he does come in, he gets corrupted and attacks me. Learned my lesson on that. Now I just build around bunnies at night so they don't get hurt
 XD I never ever kill animals in that game except if they brutally attack me

Offline C05M0515

• Female
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2016, 03:35:38 pm »
I literally go way out of my way to avoid killing creatures other than humans. And I play some RPG's so it's very difficult to avoid. For example, in Dark Souls the rats aren't too hostile, so I try to sneak around them. If they go to attack me, if I am safe to do so, I run away, very fast. At one point you are forced to kill an animal for storyline purposes and my gods is it the most depressing fight ever. It will most certainly make you cry. Also in other games where creatures are friendly, I will often spend lots of time with them! Even if they are programmed with basic actions...^.^...I'm very much a lover of animals.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:37:51 pm by C05M0515 »

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 03:41:14 am »
Also in other games where creatures are friendly, I will often spend lots of time with them! Even if they are programmed with basic actions...^.^...I'm very much a lover of animals. [/color]
I've been playing LoZ: Twilight Princess, and in the town there are dogs that you can play fetch with. I don't think it does anything for you as far as the game is concerned, but I often stop to play with them a bit when I'm passing by. ^^

Offline Doc

• Species: Fox
  • Waffles are the best!
  • Male
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 04:22:23 am »
 I hate when my sister play Skyrim. She always kills wolves and foxes, but that's not all. Even though they're code and light, I find it quite disturbing that she likes to pick them up and haul them around, throwing their limp bodies around. It's why I won't let her play Skyrim on my Youtube channel.
I avoid killing animals as much as possible. Except for mole rats and mutant hounds in Fallout 4. I fill them with 5mm rounds and laser burns. If I absolutely have to kill a wolf in Skyrim, it's usually because I don't have a horse, I'm over-encumbered and can't fast travel or there's a pack of them that keep bothering me. I don't kill people in games unless I'm in a reckless mood and they get caught in the path of my mini-nukes, car-bombs or collapsing buildings. As for Minecraft, I tend to go with plants for food unless I'm going someplace far away and danerous. Then I bust out the steaks and porkchops.
So my answer is I am not comfortable with it.
Avatar by my best friend Taivana.

"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a few hours, you realize they like it." -unknown.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 11:27:28 am »
I see no problem killing animals in games. It's just pixels after all.  :P I really don't understand why some people get so bent out of shape about it. Some people take gaming wayyyyy too seriously.  :P

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2016, 01:47:38 am »
I see no problem killing animals in games. It's just pixels after all.  :P I really don't understand why some people get so bent out of shape about it. Some people take gaming wayyyyy too seriously.  :P
yep exactly
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Aryd

• Species: Rainbow Snake (Farancia erytrogramma)
  • Mediocre at best.
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2016, 12:52:38 pm »

Exactly. In games, I'll kill animals and have no regrets afterwards, because that's just what it is: a game. Believe me, in real life, I absolutely hate hunting (and thankfully, my redneck jerk of a dad recognizes that). Thing is, just because I'm not a fan of hunting doesn't mean I'm a vegan or anything. I'm fine with eating things that were once animals, but I draw the line at taking lives (this doesn't necessarily apply for things like wasps and ants, given that they're about to sting me or something).
GameMaster Status!

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2016, 09:25:47 pm »
To me, the death of a fictional animal follows the same rules as a fictional person.  If it was just some random common background character, i hardly blink an eye.  Wolves, bandits, dragons?  All free game in my book.  However, if it was a (almost always named) character that i had actually gotten attached to...  Well, let's put it this way; after playing though all of Borderlands 1 as Mordi, there were some events in Borderlands 2 that i... didn't enjoy.  And i think that experience actually led me to enjoy the game that much more, because i became more invested in the game, on a more personal level.

It's really not that different from getting attached to a TV or movie character, or even an RP character.  Yeah, people will tell you things like "it's just a game" or "It's not real", but i'd be more concerned for my mental health if losing someone i cared about, real or not, was not upsetting in some capacity.

(Looking back on what i just wrote, i feel this turned into more of a point about CHARACTERS in video games, but who said those characters couldn't be animals?  After all, in Fable II i left thousands of people to their death just to bring my dog back to life!)

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2016, 12:24:40 am »
If I absolutely have to kill a wolf in Skyrim, it's usually because I don't have a horse, I'm over-encumbered and can't fast travel or there's a pack of them that keep bothering me.
The wolves in Skyrim are friendly if you are a werewolf in wolf form. And I use a mod that makes them also friendly if you are a werewolf that isn't is wolf form.  ^^

Also, if I see a fox get killed I'd usually reload from the last save and then try to make sure it doesn't get killed.  Maybe it's silly, but if I seen someone playing Skyrim and purposely killing the foxes, that'd bother me.

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2016, 07:32:57 am »
Also, if I see a fox get killed I'd usually reload from the last save and then try to make sure it doesn't get killed.  Maybe it's silly, but if I seen someone playing Skyrim and purposely killing the foxes, that'd bother me.

That's not silly at all.

People are nasty and cruel to harmless little animals all of the time in real life, whether it's sport hunting, culling, or just some random sick pieces of garbage doing awful things to a puppy, real life is full of crap like that and it sucks.

So it makes sense for those who care about animals to not want to see such things happen in our escapes from this sucky reality, which is what video games are, role playing within a fantasy world to escape this reality.
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »
It's only a game!

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2016, 10:09:14 pm »
It's only a game!

Yes, it is only a game.
But who chooses to play a particular game? Who chooses to partake in a particular activity within a game?
The choices made to play a particular game, and the activities enjoyed within a game are a direct indication of what stimulates the happy or reward response in a given player's brain. It's all relative to what a person likes, what they desire, and what excites them both consciously and subconsciously.
And the manner of stimulating content can very well define a person's psychological state and identity, or potential extremes thereof.

Another way of putting it... Disturbed is as disturbed does. And people don't go finding enjoyment in cutting little animals in half like in the picture you posted (even if it is only a video game) unless they are in some way mentally disturbed.

And of course Kobuk, there's no need to show us any more of your most favorite video games. :P

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:15:32 am by Storm Fox »
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Doc

• Species: Fox
  • Waffles are the best!
  • Male
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2016, 02:18:28 am »
Not silly at all. It bothers me a ton.
On one of my Fallout 4 characters, I can calm animals because perks. I did this with some mole rats in Vault 81 and thought they were kinda cute when they aren't trying to feast upon me, in their own wierd way. I found it silly, but I tried to calm them. The ones that did not comply were filled with lead and lasers.
Avatar by my best friend Taivana.

"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a few hours, you realize they like it." -unknown.

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2016, 04:16:37 am »
Another way of putting it... Disturbed is as disturbed does. And people don't go finding enjoyment in cutting little animals in half like in the picture you posted (even if it is only a video game) unless they are in some way mentally disturbed.

But... i enjoy Happy Tree Friends though...  :'(  HAVE I BEEN A MONSTER MY ENTIRE LIFE!?