Author Topic: MMORPG  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Shiromatsuri

• Female
MMORPG
« on: January 25, 2004, 06:23:47 am »
My mate and I were talking about Ragnarok Online, and I joked about maybe someday creating my own MMORPG (Mass-Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) and he said that, in reality, it isn't quite that difficult to make your own. Then it got me seriously thinking about trying my hand at making one in the future.

Of course, I know a big project such as that needs money to bring forth, so I won't really start on it until I get a steady income to buy my own dedicated servers and all that jazz. The thing is, would many people be interested in such a thing? Would people PAY to play such a thing?

I know there's something akin to a furry-style MMORPG, Furcadia, but...well...while Furcadia is nice, it limits you to just about everything when it comes to actual roleplay. Opinions anyone?

Offline Russano Greenstripe

• Male
    • www.badgerland.furtopia.org
MMORPG
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 11:41:54 am »
O.o I had an idea for a furry MMORPG too, except it was going to be a mix of Ogre Battle and Dark Age of Camelot. I actually haven't gotten around to programming it, but I have some scenarios and available characters on my comp...and my browser won't host MUCKs, so I'm out of luck. Hey...luck...muck...I AM A POET!!! *hugs self*
I like to think
(It has to be! )
Of a cybernetic ecology
where we are free of our labors
and returned to our mammal
brothers and sisters
and all watched over
by machines of loving grace.
          -Richard Brautigan
           (1935-1984)

Offline Shiromatsuri

• Female
MMORPG
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 09:15:10 pm »
*hugs Russano too, just because*

Ooo, Ogre Battle is very fun. I've never played DAoC before, though. What's it like?

Offline Kale

• Male
MMORPG
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 01:26:48 am »
ive thought about something similar, and it could theoretically be done with nedango, but unfortunatly, theres no legal english translation.
"A picture paints a thousand words, but only a thousand words can paint a thousand diffrent pictures" - unknown

my fur code: FMOp3a A? C- D H++$ M? P? R+ T+++ W Z? Sp+ RLLW/U/- a- cadn++++ d+ e# f- h* iwf++ j p+ sm--

My site:

http://www.anthrosoft.furtopia.org

Offline Gryc_ueusp

• Male
    • www.grycsroom.furtopia.org
MMORPG
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 10:06:34 pm »
**scoffs at "needs money"**
granted, you do need a cable connection (or some other always on internet connection) , but quite frankly, you can do a MMORPG with a budget of $0.00...heck, I did it, and you should be able to too. (**Shameless plug** you can find mine at byond.com under "thogrim", open source by the way)
Honestly and truly, being the linux fan I am, I wouldn't pay anything to play any game beyond buying a CD, furry or not.
The opinions expressed in this little nugget of wisdom may not necessarily be those of the producers, directors, editing staff, DJs, VJs, DVDJs, Nel-So-Soft inc., or Grycmyspih J. Ueusp.

Offline Shiromatsuri

• Female
MMORPG
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 10:47:04 pm »
Well I would have my own dedicated servers for such a thing, hence why the money is needed. I'm not saying that what you're doing is bad, but I'd like to go the way of EQ, DAoC, and other such MMORPGs you can abbreviate like hell. ^^;;

Although we don't seem to see eye-to-eye about how one should be made, Gryc, would you mind if I asked for any advise on the programming side of MMORPG making should the need arise? I'm sure you can teach me a thing or two.

Offline Cesarin

• Famous Huggable & Artistic Dragon
  • Male
    • http://www.cesarin.furtopia.org
MMORPG
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 11:06:15 pm »
there was once a proyect of a furry game mod  using the UT engine, so bad i havent seen anymore information about it, but it had around a year witouth updating wich made me just delete the link to it.
-= Cesarin The White DraGoN=-
<a href="http://www.cesarin.furtopia.org" target="_blank">My Webpage</a>

Offline Gryc_ueusp

• Male
    • www.grycsroom.furtopia.org
MMORPG
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 09:46:38 pm »
I'll be glad to help, If ya need me.  as for the eq style of game, I think I saw a game called "atilia" or something close to that online, but it's still so new that they won't let you download any part of it.

here's a quote i've heard many times, and have come to respect:
"Never announce something you have not yet done. Try, and you will be instantly robbed of the determination to do it. 100% guaranteed!" --Dantom's Law

The opinions expressed in this little nugget of wisdom may not necessarily be those of the producers, directors, editing staff, DJs, VJs, DVDJs, Nel-So-Soft inc., or Grycmyspih J. Ueusp.

Offline Running_Wolf

• The Spiritual Werewolf
  • Male
    • http://fearfactor.atspace.org/
MMORPG
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 11:12:19 am »
Once I get back online, I'll probably be able to host a 24/7 server with my ADSL conection, but I might have to convice my parents to let me keep a server running. They think anyone gets access to anything on my hd when I host a server. Then again, I might not be able to host once the comps are networked either. I'll have to check.

FCX3rw/CW6s A+ C- D>++++ H+++ M- P+++ R+ T+++ W Z? Sm++/m++ RL- a- cn++++ d++ e-$ f++ h* iwf+++ j+++ p* s--

Offline zwabbe

• Male
    • Furstralia
MMORPG
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 07:34:43 pm »
well Myself, and a few friends from a community i know was planning something like this....

But it all depends...

There is a program called playerworlds which ive been in the community for almost 2 and half years now..And know the program back to front..

You need no coding skills for Playerworlds except one file which doesnt need changin unless you wish too....

You can use your own GFX and customize the whole thing yourself....

I will help with this , I can make some GFX ive already got a large collection....and i know ive got a Wolf anthro cause i used to use it when i had my own playerworlds ages ago...

Also you can buy Server hosting from the same guy who makes the game for onlt $10 us a month..

Also if we wanted to make it say a Furtopia teamed effort you can have ranks in the game

1-Moderator (can kick ppl from the game)
2-Mapper (can alter maps using the simple map editor program)
3-Developer (can Change NPC's, Items, Spells etc etc can also change maps as well
4-Admin can do everything there is to be done in the game....

http://www.playerworlds.com

IF anyone wants to get the software and needs help just ad me to msn zwabbe14@hotmail.com if im on i will help you...

Offline zwabbe

• Male
    • Furstralia
MMORPG
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 07:40:39 pm »
Also:

If there is anyone here with Good Visual basic skills then i have a copy of an Old version of the playerworlds program in source code and have rights to use it legally..

Offline Running_Wolf

• The Spiritual Werewolf
  • Male
    • http://fearfactor.atspace.org/
MMORPG
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2004, 04:46:26 pm »
Sure, I'll help with mapping. After switching from Half-Life mapping to Unreal mapping, this'll be a cinch.

FCX3rw/CW6s A+ C- D>++++ H+++ M- P+++ R+ T+++ W Z? Sm++/m++ RL- a- cn++++ d++ e-$ f++ h* iwf+++ j+++ p* s--