Author Topic: The Blackest Grimoire(OOC)  (Read 8112 times)

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• My snark is worse than my bite
  • Male
The Blackest Grimoire(OOC)
« on: December 10, 2014, 10:27:03 am »
"History tells of Grimoire, the powerful magik texts that master witches and wizards learn from, the texts from which magic itself sprang forth. These books are things of incredible power and will easily corrupt weak minds, bending them to the will of the book before eventually destroying them entirely. What history doesn't tell us is where these books came from, and for that we must turn to legend. Upon creation the gods opened their Grimoire, blank, and began to write. The world as we know it is governed by those Grimoire that no living thing has ever laid eyes on. The Grimoire we know of belong to the angels, the servants of the gods. The angels for the most part served happily until a coven of angels rose up and fused their power, creating a bastard grimoire. Jealous of the gods ability to create and no longer content with merely serving, they sought to rise up, join as a single entity, and take their place among the gods by force. The battles became known, on earth as the dark ages. The entity was cast out, and her book sealed. The gods in their ignorance thought furs incapable of wielding magic, and they were right. Full blooded mortals cannot use magic, but the wars had a host of supernatural creatures fight among the living, and they bred. The holy knights saw the evil of the darkest Grimoire and formed the knights templar to keep it from any who would seek to use it. They took the book to the new world, burying it far from the reach of evil and dissolving over the years. Supernatural blood has trickled down over the centuries, seeping itself into all furkind, and now magik is limited only by the choice to practice, the availability of materials and the ability of the student. Magik permeates society as much as technology these days, though mostly only as ameteur work. True, powerful magicians are as rare as billionaires."  A bell rings shrilly and some of the students jump in surprise. "Ok class, I want you to read chapter 17 and do a two page essay on how the salem witch trials actually benefited the magical community, turned in by monday, have a nice weekend"

This is a magic based RP
Setting is modern world, but with magic added to ease some modern inconveniences.
You may play as supernatural creatures (restrictions apply) but do your research carefully, werewolves still don't like silver, fairies still can't stand cold iron.

Standard furtopia rules apply

my rules
-my word (and my AGM should I choose one) are law
-no godmodding, I decide what godmodding is.
-all players will speak in the same POV and in past tense "Jared went over to the chest and opened it"
-players will make an attempt at proper spelling and grammar (if spell check would catch it and you didn't, then you are not attempting.)
-auto hits are a no, this includes automatically assuming you can pick lock a locked door without me saying you succeed.
-realism, it's great.
-No breaking the fourth wall...if you as a player know someone is following you that doesn't mean your character knows it.

Card skeleton
Name:
Species:
Species weakness:(applies to mythological species only)
Age: (you are all college students so be at least 18, but you can be as old as you want, exceptions may be made)
Height:
Weight:
Physical looks:
Clothing:
Background:
Magical affinity: (see chart, mythological may pick two, but everyone else gets one, you may only pick from fire, water, earth, lightning, and wind, the more types you have the weaker they are, everyone will get an opportunity to pick another later)
Grimoire:(do not fill this out until I say)

Fire-control over fire, create fire, burn stuff, augment physical attacks.
Water-control over water, drench, create torrents, drown people, augment your swimming
Earth-control over earth, mud sand, rocks, throw them at people, augment defence by coating yourself in rock armor. you can also make rather nice pottery.
Lightning-Zap everything, cook it to a nice crisp, the attacks take longer to charge, but boy are they strong. Augment speed.
Wind-Blast people away, suffocate them, create debris whirlwinds to pummel enemies. augment agility.
Smoke-choke your enemies, sting their eyes, reduce their visibility. a thin smog surrounds you.
Lava-melt stuff, lotsa stuff. you put off enough body heat at this point to make being near isc golems dangerous...for the golem.
Wood-Vines, fungus, food shelter...mother nature is great isn't it? plants seem to grow better around you. You are followed by a light wind.
Storm-like smoke reduces visibility, but also provides a buffer against some other powers. small clouds may follow you.
Crystal-You can grow nice pointy weapons from nothing...in seconds! You skin (or fur) and claws become more crystalline in appearance.
Dust-Wear your enemies down over time, with your defence and knockback you ain't moving.You can now also create earth. sand and dust trails after you faintly on the ground.
Steel-you can change the form of metals you are touching, the extent depends on the metal. your claws, teeth and bones become more metallic.
Blaze-Heat without a heat source, you can control heat. You also emit as much as a lava, but a small will-o-wisp follows you.
Combustion- Blowing stuff up is fun. Your fur or skin takes on a scorched appearance.
Ice-Lotsa problems stop when you freeze them to death! The area around you feels normal to you but is actually as low as 35*F.
Shadow-TBA
Gravity-TBA
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:08:21 am by Jacoby Quinn »
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
Re: The Blackest Grimoire(OOC)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:13:28 am »
Name:Sven Griffin
Species:Werewolf
Species weakness: Silver,wolfsbane,moonstone,mountain ash,eclipses, and electricity
Height:5'9
Weight:135
Physical looks: He's Caucasian with a slightly noticeable tan, his eye's are blue,medium long brown hair with a little blonde highlight, he's slim and not that strong, he's very good-looking. In transformation:He is a 8'9ft werewolf and 997lbs his legs appear as digigrade and stands on two . His fur is gray with some black on face dark green eyes. He has a normal wolf,paws,(Slightly longer snout, paws and slightly larger head an ears of course) and wolf like body(Except he's on two feet) with thick fur covering everything, long bushy wolf tail, even when he's a werewolf he's pretty good looking  even though must runaway in fear of being eaten.(Just to be clear he's not a ugly werewolf and appears well groomed an not  frizzy)
Clothing:Blue jeans and a couple videogame shirts, then a simple grey and red jacket, the only indication that he's a werewolf is a necklace that says "Lycanthropus" (Translation wolf like being)
Background: He has always been interested in magik he studied and read about magik, his father gave him new things to read his mother used to be a teacher at the college he goes to, she taught science and history. But now both his mother and father are dead(Cancer). How he became a werewolf was when his father died, he took a long walk on one of the forest paths he took to forget about things, and was attacked by something then he woke up with a large slash on his arm that faded away after awhile, and soon had random transformations, he almost killed one of his friends, he knew something was up after that. But now he has mastered it so now he can have a transformation anytime if he wants.
Magical affinity:Lighting, fire, and blaze(Smoke later in game)
Grimoire: (Fill out later)
Personality:He can be nice but other than that usually stays away from people he's afraid he'll hurt. When he's a werewolf he's very protective and caring tearing apart whatever is attacking that individual.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:50:35 am by Shard the wolf »
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 07:14:43 pm »
I finished my card

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 11:45:08 pm »
Under weaknesses you need to add moonstone, mountain ash, eclipses, and electricity.
Under affinities you may add Blaze.
how many neon pink and black rabbits does it take to screw up a lightbulb factory?

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:50:10 pm »
Alright updated, cool I guess we wait for more players then

Offline ColonelMustang

• Species: Dire-Wolf
  • The Two Fisted Protein Junkie
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 01:12:38 am »
Name: Altius Arinkuth (Commonly referred to as Alt)
Species: Human
Species weakness: N/A
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 142lb
Physical looks: Has dark brown hair with caramel highlights in it, usually done up into a faux-hawk. Has fairly pale skin.. Has stormy blue eyes and sports a small scar above his right eye on his forehead. Has a bit of a slim build.
Clothing: Commonly wears this minus the bowtie.
Background: Will finish later.
Magical affinity: Lightning. (Steel)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:50:37 am by ColonelMustang »
Sarzon! <-- inside joke

Offline Sledge

• Species: Fyr Cat
  • Peace through superior firepower.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 01:31:54 am »
Name: Aimeè "Shade" Mondragon
Species: human vampire
Species weakness: sunlight, stakes, fire, (silver?)
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 115
Physical looks: appears 19. very pale skin(even before vampirism), jet black hair, and deep red eyes(dark green before vampirism).
Clothing: typically wears black jeans, black converse, and a black hoodie. Also has access to nice dresses and the like.
Personality: basically Raven from Teen Titans, but with some differences; the prime one being that she's vampiric. Usually sounds very bored and almost depressed, and has a dry, dark sense of humor. Doesn't seem to be as old as she is, even in personality.
Background: raised in an upper middle class family fairly well off before the revolution, which she fought for the lower class in. She was turned at 19 by a man who had forced herself upon her and was finished with her. She was forced to cope with her simptoms alone. Invested in the startup of Benelli arms At one point, and has been pretty well set for life since(though they believe her to be the descendant of the original investor.) has mostly been concerned with the affairs of those around her(the revolution), then the advancement of the company she'd invested in, and as such has just now decided to learn magic.
Magical affinity: wind and ice (storm later, if approved)
Grimoire:
Other: has mostly managed to nullify her accent, though it tends to become particularly strong whenever she's upset, or has had a few.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:16:51 am by Sledge »
A wise man once said: "don't anger a man who can end you from another zip code."

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum. - If You Want Peace, Prepare For War.

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 01:44:04 am »
I decided to get rid of blaze as I only want two at the moment.

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 01:49:13 am »
blaze is a combination of the two, not a truly separate affinity
aka. You can't get rid of it but it doesn't count against you.(unless you end up with a tertiary later on)

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 07:49:44 am »
I will give this until tonight (or when sledge finishes his card, whichever happens last) then put the IC up, people can join late

As a side note, magik can be cast multiple ways, how it is cast can affect the strength of the spell, here is how they rank
Having a circle with crystal or gem spell focuses and using the full incantation is the most potent method very useful for healing.recommended for enchanting.
Next comes full incantation with crystal or gem spell focuses. Don't bother non-combat warding without using this method or better.
After that comes full incantation, it can be used in battle but is difficult.
Second weakest will be keyword casting, in which the user mainly only states the affinity and name of the spell, most commonly used in combat for the speed and ease of casting it provides.
The weakest method is silent casting, you won't blow anyone away like this, but it may be just enough to get you out of sticky situations.

As for the incantations, I want you guys to write those, you won't need them often, but I want you to have fun with them.

Also, this is important, I noticed that Mustang and Shard share an affinity. With proper timing two wizards who share the same affinity may work together to empower one another (extremely difficult, if you attempt this in the beginning your spells will simply clash and fizzle) Or they may manipulate each others attacks. However since Shard controls two affinities and Mustang one, Mustang's lightning will be stronger, his silent casting would be just as powerful as Shards keyword casting. This means that mustang can easily block, deflect, or absorb Shards lightning, while shard can only partially absorb,block, or deflect Mustangs lightning. This would force shard to fall back on to Fire magik.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:02:05 am by Jacoby Quinn »

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 09:38:11 am »
blaze is a combination of the two, not a truly separate affinity
aka. You can't get rid of it but it doesn't count against you.(unless you end up with a tertiary later on)
Oh ok I understand now, also I'm very excited about this rp.

Offline ColonelMustang

• Species: Dire-Wolf
  • The Two Fisted Protein Junkie
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 12:42:58 pm »
Oh how intriguing. i think i get/understand the power balance system you have set in play here.
Sarzon! <-- inside joke

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 01:26:55 pm »
It is a system of checks and balances
mythical creatures have inherent weaknesses so they are more magikally inclined
but if you split your time between multiple natures you also split your strength

If you play the game correctly these checks and balances make it so that you can win almost any battle

Btw multiple characters are allowed

I do have to say though, I accidentally gave earth a pretty large situational advantage if you can find it
It isn't written in here, but read between the lines and remember your mythos lore and it'll become apparent

Oh one last thing, you don't start with a grimoire, in fact you probably won't get it until much later, you can still cast magik though

This will start out mainly as a slice of life/ college type RP

one more thing...somewhere, maybe under affinity put your next affinity (the one that will come later in the game) in parenthesis

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 01:49:17 pm »
Name: Jacoby Quinn
Species:Rabbit/ Incubus
Species weakness:(applies to mythological species only) Salt, blessed items, some religious artifacts, holy water.
Height:4' 7"
Weight:83lbs
Physical looks:Slightly muscular, twink-ish, soft of face and looks like he belongs in a boy band, black fur, blue eyes.
Clothing:classic rock sleeveless belly t-shirts, black/purple/charcoal/maroon skinny jeans, tends to dress somewhere between goth and punk.
Background:He grew up part cubi and as such inherently magical. His father was, of course never around and he started teaching himself to control his magic(not very well...). He once used it to stop a car in a police chase and later got his acceptance letter in the mail at 18. This is his second year at merlin international.
Magical affinity: Fire, Wind, Combustion. (earth)

Name: Holly Archer.
Species:Fox.
Species weakness:N/A
Height:5'1"
Weight:120lbs
Physical looks:Typical fox fur pattern and coloring, slim, flat chested, green eyes.
Clothing:plaid skirt, black shirt, boots.
Background:She was admitted to the college this year and her entire tuition paid by her wealthy parents. When she was younger she was encouraged to learn and as such got her parents to get her a magic teacher.
Magical affinity:Earth (water, wood)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:47:28 am by Jacoby Quinn »

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 01:59:12 pm »
I forgot to put gender into the character sheet...

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 06:55:28 pm »
Updated it,also tweaked my physical looks a little
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:35:14 pm by Shard the wolf »

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 09:52:40 am »
Just a question not trying to rush or anything take as long as you need, will the IC be starting later tonight or tommorow possibly?

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 09:57:19 am »
I will give this until tonight (or when sledge finishes his card, whichever happens last) then put the IC up, people can join late
waiting on sledge
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:38:41 am by Jacoby Quinn »

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 10:04:09 am »
Oh ok

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 10:27:51 am »
Sorry. Got busy with other things, and when I finally got on, my Internet was being wierd.
A wise man once said: "don't anger a man who can end you from another zip code."

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 10:41:42 am »
it's cool...I only just created the OOC two days ago
three is when I start to get impatient

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 11:14:58 am »
oops...I didn't mean to actually click post

Offline Jacoby Quinn

• Male
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 06:09:59 am »
Sledge, you can't choose gravity, only the basic elements are things you can choose

In order to get any of the secondaries or tertiaries you have to have the basic elements they are made up of

If you were to pick water and wind you would automatically get ice

This also means that tertiaries (for now) are only open to supernaturals

If you want a tertiary I suggest being a supernatural, going with your prior idea reasoning being something about a technology preference until recently
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:54:23 am by Jacoby Quinn »

Offline Sledge

• Male
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 12:01:29 am »
I believe I've finished my card.

Name: Aimeè "Shade" Mondragon
Species: human vampire
Species weakness: sunlight, stakes, fire, decapitation, blood of a deadman(ColonelMustang knows; it's a bit like a knockout drug.), holy water, and religious artifacts.
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 115
Physical looks: appears 19. very pale skin(even before vampirism), jet black hair, and deep red eyes(dark green before vampirism).
Clothing: typically wears black jeans, black converse, and a black hoodie. Also has access to nice dresses and the like.
Personality: basically Raven from Teen Titans, but with some differences; the prime one being that she's vampiric. Usually sounds very bored and almost depressed, and has a dry, dark sense of humor. Doesn't seem to be as old as she is, even in personality.
Background: raised in an upper middle class family fairly well off before the revolution, which she fought for the lower class in. She was turned at 19 by a man who had forced herself upon her and was finished with her. She was forced to cope with her simptoms alone. Invested in the startup of Benelli arms At one point, and has been pretty well set for life since(though they believe her to be the descendant of the original investor.) has mostly been concerned with the affairs of those around her(the revolution), then the advancement of the company she'd invested in, and as such has just now decided to learn magic.
Magical affinity: wind, water, and ice (storm later, if approved)
Grimoire:
Other: has mostly managed to nullify her accent, though it tends to become particularly strong whenever she's upset, or has had a few.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:36:31 am by Sledge »

Offline Amducious

• Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:43:09 am by Shard the wolf »