Author Topic: Holt5's Artwork  (Read 33895 times)

Offline Holt5

• Species: Artistic theologian-philosopher
  • Male
    • My home base!
Re: Holt5's Artwork
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2017, 09:53:21 am »
It's always nice to see imaginative creatures posted.

Nice work. :orbunny:

:)

Here's a time-lapse video I just completed - and the finished picture below if anyone can't view the video link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmcd6wUbg84&t=61s

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you will end up not doing anything for anybody." - Malcolm Bane

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2017, 09:33:13 pm »
Ho! Is that Folgrim?
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2017, 03:04:34 am »
Ho! Is that Folgrim?

No, there isn't a name to this guy yet. Folgrim would be an interesting one to try though!
"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you will end up not doing anything for anybody." - Malcolm Bane

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2017, 10:15:01 pm »
Maybe he should be the next Skipper of Otters then he wouldn't need an original name. ;)  In Redwall anyway it always seemed to be the next Skipper always lost their given name.  Always looking forward to your Redwall art!

The one pic of the story drawing version of Watership Down convinced me to watch it again the other day.

Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2017, 01:04:20 pm »
Could call him Matey or Captain if you wish to avoid Skipper.
Or Furgrim Otter. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

• Male
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2017, 07:43:17 pm »

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2017, 10:37:19 am »
Maybe he should be the next Skipper of Otters then he wouldn't need an original name. ;)  In Redwall anyway it always seemed to be the next Skipper always lost their given name.  Always looking forward to your Redwall art!

The one pic of the story drawing version of Watership Down convinced me to watch it again the other day.

Hey, that would work! Thanks, man!

I always feel nostalgic while watching that movie, even though I never saw it as a kid. Kind of gloomy too, but it was a good one.

Could call him Matey or Captain if you wish to avoid Skipper.
Or Furgrim Otter. :orbunny:
Those could work too, lol.
 :D

The game Rain World released on Steam recently, so I did some fan art for it. The developers had an art contest for it on Twitter https://twitter.com/adultswimgames/status/849265093095378944 shortly thereafter and I actually won: I was pretty happy. There were some really good entries that dropped in near the end.  (:

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2017, 11:14:21 am »
Nice job on the backgrounds. Not counting the rabbit who is looking
back at the viewer. Perhaps he his hiding easter eggs. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2017, 07:54:36 am »
Nice job on the backgrounds. Not counting the rabbit who is looking
back at the viewer. Perhaps he his hiding easter eggs. :orbunny:

Thank you!

This little guy is actually known as a Slug-cat. They're not very fast, but they're good at surviving and adapting to their environments. Here's a few more I did of Slugcats - they're from the game Rainworld.

Some random sketches.

A short comic about Slugcat hunting bats.

• Male
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2017, 09:48:31 am »

I really like these two, particularly the top one. The background and posture say so much,  and you've made the gloom beautiful.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2017, 12:41:06 pm »
Yes they turned out well. I think most people enjoy
a drawing more with a good background setting.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2017, 06:09:25 am »
Yes they turned out well. I think most people enjoy
a drawing more with a good background setting.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:

Thanks, Old Rabbit!

I started reading Mouse Guard the other day. Excellent comic book - I'm planning on getting all the rest eventually.

Offline DazWizzle

• Species: Human
  • Male
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2017, 07:16:58 am »
Love the artwork Holt, quite the unique style and covering a lot of different era's. A suggestion with DPU (Military uniform) Have a look at the different types as there is more then one that can cover a particular setting. Sometimes its more then just contrasting colors and patterns that can make a uniform trick the eye (unless that is the look you are going for). You seem quite good with the use of both positive and negative space. I know what that's like to achieve. In most of your images the focal points are spot on. Keep it up/
Regards,

DazWizzle

Offline Michen_S

• Species: Ghost cat
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
  • Male
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2017, 01:45:03 pm »
I like the style. They look a bit like roleplaying characters IMO.

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2017, 04:37:13 am »
Love the artwork Holt, quite the unique style and covering a lot of different era's. A suggestion with DPU (Military uniform) Have a look at the different types as there is more then one that can cover a particular setting. Sometimes its more then just contrasting colors and patterns that can make a uniform trick the eye (unless that is the look you are going for). You seem quite good with the use of both positive and negative space. I know what that's like to achieve. In most of your images the focal points are spot on. Keep it up/

Hey thanks, DazWizzle! With regard to DPU, I was a bit unsure of what to do with it at the time (I'm assuming you're talking about the wolf?) because on one hand I'd like the character to be visible and distinguishable for the sake of the art, but on the other hand it wouldn't make sense for it to not blend in with anything, so I was trying to meet it halfway. I figured as long as the armor was relatively close, if not perfect for the environment it would check out ok.

Thanks for the insightful compliments, I appreciate it!

I like the style. They look a bit like roleplaying characters IMO.
Thank you!

As a matter of fact, there is actually a Mouseguard board game out there - I believe it's sort of a mini-RPG.

Mae Borowski from Night in the Woods. In the game there are levels where Mae is dreaming, hence the psychedelic background.

Offline DazWizzle

• Species: Human
  • Male
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2017, 06:31:05 am »
Hey thanks, DazWizzle! With regard to DPU, I was a bit unsure of what to do with it at the time (I'm assuming you're talking about the wolf?) because on one hand I'd like the character to be visible and distinguishable for the sake of the art, but on the other hand it wouldn't make sense for it to not blend in with anything, so I was trying to meet it halfway. I figured as long as the armor was relatively close, if not perfect for the environment it would check out ok.

Yep exactly what I am taking about, and from what you have said I can understand. DPU is a difficult thing to get right. (IMO) The biggest issue is the use of colour in the positive space on the character. You have the wolf standing out quite nicely however the bright brown draws the eye down to the body, yet the eyes are a strong orange and is clearly suppose to be the focal point. The main point of DPU is similar colours. The dark brown and the green work quite well however the light brown throws the image out (by location). Instead of jungle cam (as you intended) you have accidentally chosen a closer colour scheme to whats known as desert cam. A good way to see what I am talking about is to open the image in photoshop and change the light brown to the dark and flick between the two. Gives a good perspective on the positive space of the character and where you want the focal point.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me next time your having issues and I can offer some pointers. Overall I love the image and you can see the progress of images and correct colour choices in your work as each post is added.
Regards,

DazWizzle

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2017, 06:41:42 am »
Yep exactly what I am taking about, and from what you have said I can understand. DPU is a difficult thing to get right. (IMO) The biggest issue is the use of colour in the positive space on the character. You have the wolf standing out quite nicely however the bright brown draws the eye down to the body, yet the eyes are a strong orange and is clearly suppose to be the focal point. The main point of DPU is similar colours. The dark brown and the green work quite well however the light brown throws the image out (by location). Instead of jungle cam (as you intended) you have accidentally chosen a closer colour scheme to whats known as desert cam. A good way to see what I am talking about is to open the image in photoshop and change the light brown to the dark and flick between the two. Gives a good perspective on the positive space of the character and where you want the focal point.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me next time your having issues and I can offer some pointers. Overall I love the image and you can see the progress of images and correct colour choices in your work as each post is added.

I'll definitely shoot a message your way if I have any DPU problems in the future. 8) Long story short is that I often overlook certain details. One of them is characters with their fingers on the trigger even though it doesn't always look like they're ready to shoot anything. In practice I follow that rule, but in drawing it often just flies over my head, lol.

Here's some more Mouseguard fan art.

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2017, 11:34:40 pm »
Holt5-Your artwork continues to improve. I love the ink and watercolor use, very nice touches. Reminds me very much of the original Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne or even Beatrix Potter illustrations. Keep up the great work!  (:
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline ShopePapilloma

• Species: Jackalope
  • Grumpy weirdo with 22 pets. Icon by SnoConeGlobe!
  • Female
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2017, 05:57:18 pm »
That Mae!!  :goldlaugh: She's amazing!
MST3K, anyone?

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2017, 08:47:54 am »
Holt5-Your artwork continues to improve. I love the ink and watercolor use, very nice touches. Reminds me very much of the original Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne or even Beatrix Potter illustrations. Keep up the great work!  (:
Thank you very much, Iara! I did ink it by hand, but the coloring is all digital: glad it looks like watercolor though because I'm terrible at actual watercoloring. :D

That Mae!!  :goldlaugh: She's amazing!

Thanks, ShopePapilloma - glad you like her!  :)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2017, 01:05:59 pm »
I have to  agree. Your work continues to improve. I like your
style of drawing animal characters.

Keep up the nice work. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2017, 05:54:55 am »
I have to  agree. Your work continues to improve. I like your
style of drawing animal characters.

Keep up the nice work. :orbunny:

Thanks, Old Rabbit - I appreciate your support!  :)

This is a new character I came up with at work. Not sure if he's ever going to be used, or what he would even be used in, but we'll see. I suppose he's largely based on an older character I had created for RPs but that was short-lived.

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2017, 07:42:51 am »
So I decided to take that possum and use him for my first truly "realistic"-style painting. I'm going digital because I DO NOT have the patience for traditional painting at this point.  :D This is what I've got so far - next update will be complete with a detailed background.

Offline Holt5

• Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2017, 02:27:29 am »
Aaaaand finished.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2017, 11:47:27 am »
The drawing turned out well. I like your shading. Good shading
always gives a drawing depth and brings out the details. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com