Author Topic: Old school anime?  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Old school anime?
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:07:54 pm »
Anybody here a fan of "old school anime" so to speak? The stuff from the 1980's, 1970's, or older that has no CGI and other fancy stuff.  :P Anime such as Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato), Battle of the Planets, Lensman, Macross/Robotech, etc.
These were all shows that got me hooked on anime. :) I love the old classic stuff.

Offline Mylo

Re: Old school anime?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:35:15 pm »
There is a manga (I know, not an anime :P) I read by Osamu Tezuka called 'Ode to Kirohito' (1966).  It's kind of a dark manga (as in older audiences).
It's about a disease that changes people into dog-like humans...and how a scientist deals with the social and physical troubles associated with it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ode_to_Kirihito

I also liked Akira (1988).  If you haven't seen it, you should.  :D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:37:22 pm by Mylo »

Offline Morphy

• Male
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 02:26:03 am »
I grew up on vague memories of Speed Racer. My formative years in gradeschool were spent watching way too much Star Blazers, G Force, then the glut of giant robot shows in the 80's (Grandizer King! woot). I still treasure my full collection of fansubbed Maison Ikkoku (~83 eps and a summer special ova). Was too late to get in on the fansubbed Ranma 1/2 series before the license got bought up and all fansubs destroyed or permanently archived. And when Animeigo got to do Urusei Yatsura, I started collecting those boxed sets. I know there's more but my set ends on the 50th dvd.

p.s. Do you know where I can find a copy of "The Excellent Anime Adventure 1993" and "1995"??? I somehow lost my vhs tapes in the years moving from place to place.  :(

It's a 4 or 6hr mix of anime, fanvids, a brilliantly hilarious fandub, mind altering snippets from Bob Dobbs and the Church of Sub-genius, and weird Japanese commercials. The fellow who made it, used to live in FL.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:00:44 pm »
There is a manga (I know, not an anime :P) I read by Osamu Tezuka called 'Ode to Kirohito' (1966).  It's kind of a dark manga (as in older audiences).
It's about a disease that changes people into dog-like humans...and how a scientist deals with the social and physical troubles associated with it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ode_to_Kirihito

I also liked Akira (1988).  If you haven't seen it, you should.  :D

My brother got this from the library a year or two back. I sat down with it and read the entire thing in one night. LOVED IT!