Author Topic: Protests during corona?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Hans the husky

• Species: Siberian husky
  • Male
Protests during corona?
« on: September 26, 2020, 05:03:21 pm »
All over the world there are many different people protesting for many different things. The protests that are getting the nost attention are the BLM protests in the US and some of Europe but those are not the only protests happening right know.

My country has one of the highest numbers of corona cases per capita and there have been mass protests here for various issues going on for the past several months. Of course the right to protest is a basic democratic right but at the same time, they are putting people in danger, even though they are mostly peaceful.

I'd like to know what your opinion is. Mine is that there is a time and place to protest, it just isn't now.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Re: Protests during corona?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 06:29:26 pm »
Protests are good. People are bad. Any good cause can be made bad by bad people. If something is wrong it needs to be changed. Protests are one way to bring attention to a wrong. In a perfect world anyway.

Yes people are putting themselves in harms way getting into large groups right now. No matter what they are protesting against. Truth is you put yourself in harms way every time you go to the gas station or store. The more people around you the bigger the risk.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 06:44:22 pm »
If people didn't protest (Air their greivences.), then how else would people inform their leaders about what they didn't like and such? Sometimes, petitions, sit in's, and other lesser/smaller forms of protest don't quite "get the message out" as much as what a larger "mass gathering in the streets" does.
I'm all for peaceable and well organized mass protests. But when they turn violent with shootings, looting, and such, then it just gets me depressed that it had to come to that.  :(
But sadly, violence is a part of human nature. There's always going to be something that ticks somebody off and someway and somehow, there will be some violent action seen in a protest. It's inevitable. You can't have the good without the bad.

What worries me now is the U.S. Nov.3rd election coming up. Trump has said that he probably........well, most likely.........will NOT concede if he loses. He is pulling out all the stops so to speak to make sure he wins at whatever the cost. And I fear that if he loses, we may see some very ugly protests coming from his supporters and the far right. And they could be violent. Maybe even worse than the BLM protests. Maybe almost to the point of another American civil war. I kid you not.

Offline Hans the husky

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 07:01:28 pm »
If people didn't protest (Air their greivences.), then how else would people inform their leaders about what they didn't like and such? Sometimes, petitions, sit in's, and other lesser/smaller forms of protest don't quite "get the message out" as much as what a larger "mass gathering in the streets" does.
I'm all for peaceable and well organized mass protests. But when they turn violent with shootings, looting, and such, then it just gets me depressed that it had to come to that.  :(
But sadly, violence is a part of human nature. There's always going to be something that ticks somebody off and someway and somehow, there will be some violent action seen in a protest. It's inevitable. You can't have the good without the bad.

What worries me now is the U.S. Nov.3rd election coming up. Trump has said that he probably........well, most likely.........will NOT concede if he loses. He is pulling out all the stops so to speak to make sure he wins at whatever the cost. And I fear that if he loses, we may see some very ugly protests coming from his supporters and the far right. And they could be violent. Maybe even worse than the BLM protests. Maybe almost to the point of another American civil war. I kid you not.

I feel like in my specific case that the message is out and these people are preventing the rest of the country from properly dealing with the virus. We are supposed to be on full lockdown yet tens of thousands are protesting without masks or social distancing. As I mentioned, there is a time and a place for it, just not now when we are trying to get a virus under control.

And on Trump, I don't think that the civil war ever ended. No matter what happens it isn'g going to be pretty. I have a hard time believing that biden will get things under control if he wins and it's a bit scary that Trump may not concede. But this conversation isn't about US politics so can we please keep it out?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:10:37 pm by Hans the husky »

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 09:28:27 pm »
I"ll post about this once.
There are laws. These laws are in the constitution. These laws govern everyone under the constitution. There are consequences if you break these laws. Both right and left wing sources like to play the fear factor. Speculation is equal to propaganda. Ignore them both.

It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 10:45:09 am »
 Can not people protest using masks? Wear a mask, and put the protest icon/ slogan on it?
If you protest your cause without harm to others, non damaging but resolute,  does this not show intelligence and determination?
Protest how the virus ruined your business,  but wear a mask.   Wearing the mask will slow spread,  and allow business to open.
Didn't other countriesask people to wear masks and yet business kept going?
 Protest LGBTIQA+ items,  but do not hurt anyone. Isn't there enough hurt?
  Protest social equality for people of colour,  but do not burn down a city what message does that send? That people of color protesting that their lives matter should be feared,  that they are quick to anger, that they will destroy their own town when mad? (None of that I believe,  I am playing devils advocate).

A lot can be achieved,  I  time,  if the cause is resolute, and sting, calm,  focused,  determined.  And most of all,  peaceful.

In USA black lives have been most improved by people protesting peacefully.  People want to forget watts riots, but remember dr Martin Luther king.  Some see black panthers as hooligans,  some see them as heroes.  But again, most all see dr Martin Luther king jr as a hero of sorts.
If you wantyou cause to succeed, try the peacefully route.

Yes being violent is in our nature, and it is this we are trying to control!
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Hans the husky

• Male
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 01:18:01 pm »
Can not people protest using masks? Wear a mask, and put the protest icon/ slogan on it?
If you protest your cause without harm to others, non damaging but resolute,  does this not show intelligence and determination?
Protest how the virus ruined your business,  but wear a mask.   Wearing the mask will slow spread,  and allow business to open.
Didn't other countriesask people to wear masks and yet business kept going?
 Protest LGBTIQA+ items,  but do not hurt anyone. Isn't there enough hurt?
  Protest social equality for people of colour,  but do not burn down a city what message does that send? That people of color protesting that their lives matter should be feared,  that they are quick to anger, that they will destroy their own town when mad? (None of that I believe,  I am playing devils advocate).

A lot can be achieved,  I  time,  if the cause is resolute, and sting, calm,  focused,  determined.  And most of all,  peaceful.

In USA black lives have been most improved by people protesting peacefully.  People want to forget watts riots, but remember dr Martin Luther king.  Some see black panthers as hooligans,  some see them as heroes.  But again, most all see dr Martin Luther king jr as a hero of sorts.
If you wantyou cause to succeed, try the peacefully route.

Yes being violent is in our nature, and it is this we are trying to control!
This!

Offline Hans the husky

• Male
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 02:40:15 pm »
https://reut.rs/3nbIRmO

What do you think of this?

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 03:00:45 pm »
Boy... hard to say really.
A law that wants people to limit social interactions so virus spreads less,  makes sense.  But at same time,  if it is a known fact that the people (Or some of them) want to speak up against political issues,  then the same law can help keep the protesters at bay and give the law a reason to arrest them.
And if the only way left to protest is via internet,  how easy is that to squash or twist facts?
So I would say it seems convenient that these two things coincide.
Fair warning however,  I do not follow what's happening in many countries.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Hans the husky

• Male
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 04:31:57 pm »
Boy... hard to say really.
A law that wants people to limit social interactions so virus spreads less,  makes sense.  But at same time,  if it is a known fact that the people (Or some of them) want to speak up against political issues,  then the same law can help keep the protesters at bay and give the law a reason to arrest them.
And if the only way left to protest is via internet,  how easy is that to squash or twist facts?
So I would say it seems convenient that these two things coincide.
Fair warning however,  I do not follow what's happening in many countries.
well they are protesting aginst the handling of the virus so it's not just a coincendence. But you're right it's a big dilemna that I'm not sure I have the answer to.

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 11:51:00 pm »
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't see any ifs ands or buts in the first amendment. If people cannot assemble to redress grievances with their government then that is why the second amendment was written.

I know the same is not true in other countries, though I believe that people still have those rights regardless if the government honors them or not.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hans the husky

• Male
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 12:24:31 am »
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't see any ifs ands or buts in the first amendment. If people cannot assemble to redress grievances with their government then that is why the second amendment was written.

I know the same is not true in other countries, though I believe that people still have those rights regardless if the government honors them or not.
well I'm no lawyer but there they don't have a constitution so the government does have power to take rights away during emergencies

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 09:54:53 pm »
I believe that people still have those rights regardless if the government honors them or not.
well I'm no lawyer but there they don't have a constitution so the government does have power to take rights away during emergencies

Clarified.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson