Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
general non-furry discussion / Re: What really "grinds your gears"?
« Last post by Rocket T. Coyote on October 01, 2022, 11:42:33 am »
My monthly natural gas bill more than doubled in the past year.
general non-furry discussion / Re: Local weather
« Last post by Rocket T. Coyote on October 01, 2022, 11:38:04 am »
Sunny, cool and dry.
« Last post by Firelight on September 30, 2022, 10:42:35 pm »
90 tomorrow
« Last post by venthewolf on September 29, 2022, 09:17:40 am »
The weather over here is partially cloudy, and about 16 degrees C
word games / Re: What are you watching right now?
« Last post by Firelight on September 26, 2022, 07:41:59 pm »
Just random YouTube vids.
« Last post by cause the rat on September 26, 2022, 04:05:31 am »
Binge watching "Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon". On season three now. Also finished up "The Fruit of Evolution. Before I knew it my life had it made".
word games / Re: The last thing you bought.
« Last post by Firelight on September 25, 2022, 10:44:23 pm »
A shoulder plush of Zero from Nightmare before Christmas.
« Last post by Firelight on September 25, 2022, 10:42:17 pm »
A comic drama called Mew and Mewtwo
It's silly, sad, random and will make you cry/tear up.
traditional and digital artwork / Re: A Rat's journey in oil painting.
« Last post by cause the rat on September 25, 2022, 04:01:23 pm »
Still finding it hard to sit down and paint something. Did as few value studies. Struggled a few times with them. But it all came back quickly.

Today I want to talk about advice. Not going to shine a light on me. Said all I need to. I'd like to talk about the web and the type of advice you should stay away from. it doesn't matter how much you like their work. Or who they are. If you start listening to someone really pay attention to what they are saying. If it took them years to get where they are now there's a reason for it. If they are struggling or avoiding things there is a reason for it. Don't get caught up in their bad choices. Or bad advice. It's unfortunate. These well meaning artists are giving out the same bad advice that kept them struggling. Justifying their bad choices. "Taking years to finally getting it" is an excuse for never really working on it to begin with. There is a reason why some artists rise to the top quickly. It has nothing to do with talent. Everything to do with working on what they were bad it. Not letting self pride or justification get in the way of struggling to get it right. Learn what you can from their techniques. Their style. Not their mistakes. I brought this up because I just dumped another Youtube channel. Another "don't worry about it. You'll eventually get it" channel that promotes really bad advice.

and now to rant and talk about myself.

There is no such thing as natural talent. It's an excuse. A lie that creates a divide between those who are successful and the rest of us. Talent is a word that means your good at something. The word 'naturally' is a slap in the face.  An insult. Treat it as an insult. Not a fact. I can say this from my own personal experiences. I have what's known as Relative Pitch. It's a step below Perfect Pitch. Basically means that if I hear a note in music I instantly know what all the rest of the notes payed after are. This is an ability. Not a talent. As a student just learning how to play did this ability help? No. I had to learn to play the guitar. The techniques, music theory, everything. Just because I could pick out a single instrument in an orchestra. Then memorize each instrument. Then play it all back in my head did not help in any way. This ability only helped me after I learned how to play those notes. After I learned how to play the guitar. Can someone be taught to do the ability I was born with? Yes. That makes me no better than any other musician out there who took the time to learn what i was born with. What i could do on the guitar is what separated me from others. It wasn't natural talent. It was the hours struggling to get things right.
« Last post by cause the rat on September 22, 2022, 02:59:46 pm »
Another American attempt at anime. Looks to have the same problems as "Black Lotus" had. Filled with meaningless, slow moving segments and predictable. "Pantheon" looks to follow that same trend.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]