Author Topic: How did you get started ?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Pebble

• Young poetic heart
  • Male
How did you get started ?
« on: January 08, 2014, 03:15:02 pm »
 Everyone is different and I want to make this interesting. What got you into making fursuits? Did a friend show you how or was it trial and error? Lastly do you create fursuits for yourself or for you and others?

I have been sewing for a long while now but I never made a complete outfit. I more or less dabbled with different ideas. I think it would be great if I had a place to start in fursuit creation. It is good to look back and realize how far you have come or it is at least for me. I know I have yet to make and finish an article of clothing but I have come a long ways. In sewing I have made bags and pillows. I have repaired multiple items. I also have worked with crafts that require tools. I have a small shop that I use to work with more involved projects. I have yet to start on a fur suit but first things first; I need to do research and make careful considerations. I want to begin making fursuits because I want a healthy way to express my little side.
Growing up does not mean you have to be different. There are so few people who will let themselves be who they are because it is different from those around them.

Offline SPark

• Female
    • http://www.sparkcostumes.com
Re: How did you get started ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:00:40 pm »
I got started because the person I was dating at the time bought me a tail of my main furry character, which was really sweet, but the tail was CRAP.  I sat there looking at it going "Heck, I could make a better tail than this!"  And then it dawned on me that I really *could* make a better tail than that, so why not try it?  The tail came out great, so I just continued from there.

Offline Jorinda

• Female
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:07:36 am »
I was in the fandom for a few months, then I met the first fursuiters and decided I wanted a suit, too.
I started making one with cheap materials. First two tries lookes horrible and were never worn. I tried again years later, and now I bought a suit head.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:01:45 pm »
Really don't have much to say because I'm still making my first one. I want to create something no one else has.

Thought it would be easier than this.
I've worked in 3D arts before. Thought that would have given me an edge. Nope. Using foam to make a shape is completely different than using clay or paper mache.
I wanted a partial with costume clothing. Can't afford to pay someone to make one. So I'm still fighting with it.
And finally ,
I want something completely unique. Different than what anyone else has. I've looked at hundreds of fursuits on line. To me a lot of them look alike. Yes I know a fox is a fox is a fox. But they don't all have to have the same expression. Please don't get me wrong. There are a lot of great builders out there. However some of them put out nice suits that are nothing more than different colors and ears on the same head base.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline bkatt500

• Female
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 03:30:08 am »
I wanted a fursuit since I first learned about them.  It started with curiosity, I heard about them (admittedly in negative ways) and decided to see what it was all about.  I found Beetlecat's and Clockwork Creature's suits and was hooked and pretty much decided I needed one of these things.  I researched materials, techniques, and photos for a couple years before finally buying them and making my first suit.
<a href=http://bkatt500.deviantart.com/>Check me out on deviantArt!</a>

Offline Magna

• Female
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 12:39:31 pm »
I was looking on youtube for cool/creepy costumes I could possibly make for one of the local comic conventions, and found these! I got some supplies and built away in the weeks before the convention! Plenty of procrastinating happened though, and a lot of the finishing touches were made in the hotel room the night of the con :P. I didn't have a sewing machine at that point either, so it was constructed using glue sticks and hope.

I think it didn't turn out half bad! It definitely needs a lot of improvement though. The jaw on the skull would not stay closed, so I'll have to re-hinge it so you can't see my face. I also want to get rid of the stinkin' heavy drywall stilts that I used for the back legs and replace them with nice lightweight athletic stilts. Also need to build up the body and neck area some more as well.