Author Topic: First time building tips?  (Read 2377 times)

Offline GetScared

• Male
    • spacelionsgetscared on tumblr
First time building tips?
« on: February 24, 2014, 03:11:27 pm »
I will be constructing a partial for somebody this summer. I have never done this before. A tail is pretty simple, but after that I'm not too sure about. Is there any tips that you guys have for me? Like on taking measurements or what materials to use or how to shape things and such and what are the best methods for certain things? I am good with a sewing machine so that's no problem. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Magna

• Female
Re: First time building tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 04:56:19 pm »
Just in general, take things slow. If you rush, the quality will suffer, you'll make mistakes, get frustrated, and quit.

Measure things you need multiple times as well, just to get an accurate number before you start cutting things apart. Check and double check your lines and patterns before you cut as well.

i'd suggest actually getting some super cheap plain old cotton or whatever to test your patterns on before you get straight into the faux fur. That way you can see how things go together, and correct any issues that might come up.

When building anything using foam (assuming you're making a foam based head), use references! Have someone else on hand to redline pictures you take of your base! Things always look so much better if you have a reference to look at, and more sets of eyes are more likely to pick out any symmetry issues.

Offline GetScared

• Male
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 05:06:47 pm »
Just in general, take things slow. If you rush, the quality will suffer, you'll make mistakes, get frustrated, and quit.

Measure things you need multiple times as well, just to get an accurate number before you start cutting things apart. Check and double check your lines and patterns before you cut as well.

i'd suggest actually getting some super cheap plain old cotton or whatever to test your patterns on before you get straight into the faux fur. That way you can see how things go together, and correct any issues that might come up.

When building anything using foam (assuming you're making a foam based head), use references! Have someone else on hand to redline pictures you take of your base! Things always look so much better if you have a reference to look at, and more sets of eyes are more likely to pick out any symmetry issues.

Thank you! I think the symmetry thing is where I will have the most issues. Hopefully having somebody else's eyes on it will help. I hadn't quite thought of that. Thanks again!

Offline Magna

• Female
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:47:41 pm »
I think the symmetry thing is where I will have the most issues. Hopefully having somebody else's eyes on it will help.

Another thing you can do to help with the symmetry would be to take a picture of the head straight on, and then flip it (like going from this <|) to this (|> ) or mirroring it along the center line (so from <|) to <|> or (|), if that makes sense).

Offline GetScared

• Male
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:20:41 pm »

Another thing you can do to help with the symmetry would be to take a picture of the head straight on, and then flip it (like going from this <|) to this (|> ) or mirroring it along the center line (so from <|) to <|> or (|), if that makes sense).

That's a good idea! Thank you!