Author Topic: Can someone help me?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Sadarius Wolf

• Male
    • Sadarius Wolf's FA
Can someone help me?
« on: June 12, 2005, 09:50:31 am »
I do my entire site on Frontpage, save the files, then upload them on the ftp. Here's the problem, I made a photo gallery using the formats the program gives, so I didn't have to use tables and all that. I have everything setup and I went to save it. I get this error message after clicking save: "To save this page and photo gallery, open a FrontPage based web site, and save the page to that site." I have no idea what that means! Does that mean save a page on the internet that is made by FrontPage and open it, and save the gallery on that, but can I redo that site so it looks like I want, or do I just save my photo gallery page to the site's name?
"When it hurts to look back, and you're scared to look ahead, you can look beside you and your best friend will be there"
               ~Unknown~

Offline WhiteShepherd

• furtopia.org Sysop!
  • Male
    • http://www.whiteshepherd.furtopia.org
Can someone help me?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 04:47:42 pm »
It sounds like it is trying to save your page directly to your web site.  I am not an expert in Frontpage but someone here may give you more advice.  Also we run Apache 2 with PHP here.  So you want to save your web page as a "standard" format and not the default propritary MS (IIS) setting.

WS
IRC quotes:

[05:01] <Kai_Misou> We cats sleep when we want and where we want.
[05:01] <WhiteShep> We dogs sleep WHEN we can. :/
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span =''><!--Quot

Offline Wtcher

• Web Design Tech Advisor
Can someone help me?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 04:51:46 pm »
Some web development packages let you work directly on a live server. Sadarius, try seeing if you can find other save options. There should be one to just save it locally on your hard disk somewhere. That may then be uploaded separately.
Oh, faint memory trickles, that is all; like a stream that rustles forgotten leaves and lost paths.

Offline Sadarius Wolf

• Male
    • Sadarius Wolf's FA
Can someone help me?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 10:20:30 pm »
Thanks I'll give it a try...
"When it hurts to look back, and you're scared to look ahead, you can look beside you and your best friend will be there"
               ~Unknown~

Offline Reathion_Arkidian_Nights

Can someone help me?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 04:31:15 pm »
Use Macromedia Dreamweaver for your website!

MS Frontpage has to many issues for compatiblity with non-Microsoft browsers.

Offline Kada-Ru

• Species: Golden Blue Pegasus
  • Female
    • Kaycy's Creations for Fun
Can someone help me?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 11:22:06 am »
I use Macromedia Dreamweaver for all my web paging. It is very easy to use. You can see it as you create it or you can create it with html coding.

Another thing that Furtopia uses is the 'indexer'. VERY VERY simple to use for art galleries. I am switching all of my art pages over to it as I no longer have to have 3 files of each image. I would normally have my original sized image, a resized image at 500 pixels wide for web viewing then another resized image at anywhere between 100 x 100 pixels - 200 x 200 pixels for thumbnails. I no longer have to resize my pics. Which is VERY time consuming.

With the indexer, I just add my images to a folder and upload it to my site. Here is example 1.

This is the basic indexer. If it doesn't find an index.html in a folder it will created this page automatically. Which is fine for basic viewing and updating.

Now, for me, since I also know HTML, I use html with it on some of my pages, I just make it the header.html as in example 2.

Now example 2 is my main page for my g rated site on http://www.creativepaws.org, (also created by us) and I am redoing my website a little differently.

In example 3, I am using the indexer with the images and file option. The file option lists your files at the bottom of the page. I am still using a header.html so that I can pretty much make the page look anyway I wish but with all the photos, artwork etc., that I upload, this indexer has become my best friend. (smiles)

As for front page, I have never used it and I have seen a lot of people who have had problems with uploading it to their websites, and I think it is for the reasons that Reathion_Arkidian_Nights stated.

If you would like help with the indexer for using on your own website let me know and I can help you walk through the basics and you can take it from there.

You can contact me through here on PM or through one of these:

AIM: KadaRu00
MSN:  Kada_Ru@hotmail.com
YIM: kaycyd