Author Topic: How do I admit I'm a furry?  (Read 15451 times)

Offline Siberian

• Nothing
  • Male
How do I admit I'm a furry?
« on: September 03, 2010, 05:13:36 pm »
I've been hiding it from everybody"I'm in 9th grade so I'm kinda scred to tell my parents" and I read one of the forums called "coming out" but it didn't help at all. I think I'm just going to email my mom(not my dad because he will call me names which we don't get along well anyways) but when did you guys admit to your friends and family? And how did They react also post some tips for me because I don't wanna screw up and have thrm staring like what the heck???? Yes I still need a collar Wich I. Will also have to explain! It seems hard to tell people! Please help asap! :( :(

Offline Valexi

• Hylian Hyena
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
Re: How do I admit I'm a furry?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »
Well, it's not exactly a big deal.
Yes, there's a lot of furry haters on the internet, but to be truthful most people in real life don't even know what furry is.
Just relax a bit, it's just like any other hobby. ;)
I think phrasing is important though. Saying "I'm a furry" has more impact than "I have an interest in anthromorphic characters."
Saying "I'm a furry" would make people think that it's more important or harmful than it actually is, and it'll blow everything out of proportion.
Saying "I have an interest in anthromorphic characters" would be better in my opinion, since it doesn't hold the situation as such a big deal and softens the blow, so to speak. It lets people know without making them look at you differently if they don't know what furry is. And in my experience it doesn't rouse as bad of a response from furry haters as the before-mentioned phrasing.
I hope that's helpful to you.
Good luck :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:37:38 pm by Valexi »

Offline Bai

• Female
    • My Furaffinity
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »
Its not necessary for you to 'come out' to your parents, friends, family etc. However like Valexi says, most people in real life do not know what furry is. When a few of my friends at university asked why I had animal ears I explained, and they said it sounded like fun. I told them I have an interest in cartoon animals, and that I enjoy dressing up as an animal from time to time. I compared it to cosplaying within the anime scene, and they got the gist. But you don't really need to tell anyone unless they ask, and if they do, try not to make a big deal out of it.

Offline Siberian

• Nothing
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:53:34 pm »
Sooner or later I'm gonna have to tell them because how am I supposed to get a collar without telling them lol!

Offline Bai

• Female
    • My Furaffinity
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 07:55:38 pm »
Well, unless you wear it all the time you won't have to tell them anything. But you could just say, if they see it, that you like wearing it. You don't need to go into massive detail on anything. Plus other 'scenes' wear collars, such as punk/goth/emo etc. which are more accepted in the main stream than furry is, in general, so you could pass it off as something like that, just a fashion accessory.

Offline Siberian

• Nothing
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:12:54 pm »
Wow let me put it this way... My parents are sneaky and sly so they will figure out I'm lying so I guess either I will email my mom tomorrow or I will chicken out and not because before I hide this for years I need it to be known so any tips on the email?

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 11:57:24 pm »
No offense, but it furiates me whenever furries do this. >___> Why do people /have/ to know you're a furry? Are labels really that important to you that people must know? You don't see Sonic fans or Disney fans spazzing because the characters they like are critters. Don't get why furries make a huge deal over it. :l

Offline Shabbernigdo

• Species: Sergal
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 12:28:50 am »
No offense, but it furiates me whenever furries do this. >___> Why do people /have/ to know you're a furry? Are labels really that important to you that people must know? You don't see Sonic fans or Disney fans spazzing because the characters they like are critters. Don't get why furries make a huge deal over it. :l

yay some on else finally sees things the way i do.
For all the grammar/spellin Nazis
Yur just mad cuz u kant speel as gud as mee,

Offline Siberian

• Nothing
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 12:35:52 am »
I'm sorry I just wanted some tips I know I'm spazzing out lol!p

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 12:44:56 am »
I'd avoid the phrase,  "i have an interest in..."  ^^;

But i just kind of let my parents find out...  Just like with all my other hobbies.

Offline Shabbernigdo

• Species: Sergal
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 12:45:58 am »
I'm sorry I just wanted some tips I know I'm spazzing out lol!p

Dont sweat it. Its not like your killin hookers and stuffing the bodies into barrels of acid.

You just happen to like somthing ( Furry ) that most concider to be odd.  just concider it to on the same level as larpers / cosplayers etc etc
If they ask about it tell em if they dont, let it be
For all the grammar/spellin Nazis
Yur just mad cuz u kant speel as gud as mee,

Offline Siberian

• Nothing
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 12:51:39 am »
I understand that alot of people are telling me not to tell them unless they ask...there's a problem with that because they way I see it is I have to tell my mom at leaf to get my collar. So I'm hoping for the best tomorrow! If you think of anything I should say in the email please post asap! :D

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 01:14:32 am »
Just do whatever I did. Go about your business and when questioned, all you have to say human characters are boring (if youre an artist, writer or animator or say you still like some of the things you liked as a kid if youre a fan. Not a big deal really. My grandfather used to collect super hero comics and nobody gave him flak. Same applies with furry. Dont stress too much on it and it'll fall into place...or something like that. Treat it as an interest if you're worried instead of a blunt "Im a furry" like you were comming out to be gay or something. :D

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 01:22:34 am »
OP: I only told my family when I wasn't able to hide my fursuit making anymore. Explaining a mess of loose, cut fur all over the carpet in one spot was much easier explaining I make costumes and why than trying to make up some story about why there was a big mess of loose fur on the carpet in the den (I KILLED A CAT!!1! lol.. oo;  ). Once I explained the costumes I felt it best to explain it in detail so that I wouldn't be confused with someone just making the costumes for other reasons. Though I don't really consider myself a "furry" now, I still hold interest in it as I always have. It's not even needed to claim that name. Also.. I wouldn't word it in any complicated fashion like "I have an interested in anthropomorphic animals", that makes it sound like a clever name for something in order to hide a true meaning.  :D Just say something like "I like furry stuff, this is what furry stuff is." or something like that if you feel the absolutely need to tell someone. If you don't really NEED to though, I don't see any reason to go out of your way to.

Offline Siberian

• Nothing
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 08:21:32 am »
Well I guess today I'm gonna have to email my mom and tell her that kneed to get a collar.(if she ask I'm just gonna say it's for a hobby and againif she ask I will tell her that I'm a furry (not in that way) and I know she will may know something she's an amazing artist and she knows all types of art so she will Ask but I really don't care anymore so thank all of you for help!  (:

Offline Spirit

• Female
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 08:56:23 am »
Question: How old are you, and if you're old enough to, do you live on your own? It's probably easier to buy something on your own without your parents knowing if you live away from them. If not, then just say you like wearing it. Or that it's to raise awareness of arctic dingoes.
I wouldn't word it in any complicated fashion like "I have an interested in anthropomorphic animals", that makes it sound like a clever name for something in order to hide a true meaning.  :D
But... But I do have an interested! -shot-

Offline LordFenrir

• Artist. Writer. Hack/fraud.
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 09:04:27 am »
If you feel you absolutely must "admit you're a furry", describe it as "fan of cartoon animals".  It's simple, everyone knows what cartoons are, and rather positive.  If you use words like "anthropomorphic", people will become confused, ergo they will become distrustful.

However I am not saying to "come out as furry" at all.  It is a hobby like any other.  Did I need to come out to my family and friends and awkwardly say "I am a model railroad enthusiast" or "I am a toy soldier enthusiast"?  No.  Furry is, despite what you make think, no different from the aforementioned examples.

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 11:00:33 am »
Question: How old are you, and if you're old enough to, do you live on your own? It's probably easier to buy something on your own without your parents knowing if you live away from them. If not, then just say you like wearing it. Or that it's to raise awareness of arctic dingoes.
I wouldn't word it in any complicated fashion like "I have an interested in anthropomorphic animals", that makes it sound like a clever name for something in order to hide a true meaning.  :D
But... But I do have an interested! -shot-

Spanish and English combined has forever ruined my grammar.  :D

Offline Siberian

• Nothing
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 11:52:29 am »
Never thought of hidden a collar I bought on my own good thinking!!!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 12:55:24 pm »
I live in a very conservative area, so I just draw and write for online fans..  Even
the locals like my art..   

You don't need to say your furry.. Disney has made it easy to say you like
anthro animals as  most people enjoy watching the animated cartoons and
movies.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Siberian

• Nothing
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 03:08:40 pm »
Lol I talked to my mom about it! All she did was ask questions like what's intrest you in it and stuff so all went well thx for the help guys

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 11:03:59 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:27:28 pm by Alexandre »

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:19 pm »
*gives Liedt an icy cold stare*

>.>

And your point is? Your post has nothing to do with this thread. Your quote was from the April Fools joke we had earlier this year.

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 11:22:26 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:22:24 pm by Alexandre »

Offline Spirit

• Female
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 11:58:38 am »
Yeah, that would be fine if we were all ungulates. Sorry(not really), but we're not.