Author Topic: How do I admit I'm a furry?  (Read 15450 times)

Offline Mooshi

Re: How do I admit I'm a furry?
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2010, 08:16:23 pm »
It's been a while since I was a teenager, but looking back at it now, I ask what is it you're trying to prove? If your parents don't like a certain type of dress or you know they'll question you in a negative way, why press the matter further? Take a look at the Scene...scene. Not too many parents will want their kid to dye their hair rainbow coloured neon, get tats and piercings. Once you're 18, do what you want - especially if you're moved out. Same goes for furry and the "lifestyle" stuff. (ears, tails, collars ect.) Stop worrying yourself to death or complaining the parents don't get it. Furry is not a life or death ordeal - wait till you're 18 and there will be less of these threads. >.>

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2010, 08:19:26 pm »
How do I admit I'm a furry?

Two words --> YOU DON'T.

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2010, 02:38:40 pm »

Two words --> YOU DON'T.

The problem with your advice Koubuk is you never been a parent in real life. I been involved in the past with groups that also involve themselves with child safety. Trying  to hide it from parents will only raise suspicion. Trust me more than often they are going to think the worst: gang activity, drug use or grooming by a sexual predator. By revealing it one still has a chance to control the information than letting parents come reach an misguided conclusion especially if parents finds a anti-furry site.

Again the best was is uses the Kiss principal: (Keep It  Simple Stupid) that Furry are fans of anthropomorphic animals  in art, literature and costuming. No more no less.

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2010, 02:57:26 pm »

Two words --> YOU DON'T.

The problem with your advice Koubuk is you never been a parent in real life. I been involved in the past with groups that also involve themselves with child safety. Trying  to hide it from parents will only raise suspicion. Trust me more than often they are going to think the worst: gang activity, drug use or grooming by a sexual predator. By revealing it one still has a chance to control the information than letting parents come reach an misguided conclusion especially if parents finds a anti-furry site.

Again the best was is uses the Kiss principal: (Keep It  Simple Stupid) that Furry are fans of anthropomorphic animals  in art, literature and costuming. No more no less.

You're both right.  Acton, your observations about parental concern are correct in many cases.  Kobuk's statement is correct in that Furry isn't a bad thing, so it's not something you "admit" to.  The best thing to do is to NOT act like you're hiding something.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2010, 04:13:27 pm »
If you're honest with yourself, furry is one really weird scene. So is the otaku scene, Star Trek scene, emo scene and so on. The last thing a parent wants is their kid mixing with questionable people. If your parents are the cool type, more leverage for you. If they are the type that want you in button downed uniforms...don't push your luck. :D I still say wait till you're 18 before you fully embrace a scene.

Offline FurEST

• Male
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2010, 05:57:29 pm »
personally, the way i told i was a furry is that i sent 1 a yahoo answers link, 2nd afew furry links, and 3rd googled furry himself cause he was curious what it is, cuz i was talking to someone hwo knew im furry in school and he listend.
im quite a bad explainer and i dont know how to explain furry good so thats why we have internet lol.

Offline Blackwolf359

• I'm watching you...
  • Male
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2010, 02:38:11 am »
Well my mom figured out the other day that I'm a furry (I was being stupid and tired at the time) and I must say. For someone who only knew about furries because of CSI she took it great. Her main question other than "Okay, so what is a furry then?" was "Why put a label on something like that." I figure it so you can find other people with the same interests easier.

But seriously. I figure its not something that you need to tell people about. I'm not saying lie to people if they ask you if your a furry but don't go out of your way to inform people that you are. If what you do normally happens to tip people off then whatever but...yeah...I should shut up now...
Treky+Furry=Blackwolf359 (My math may need some work)

If someone pushes you into the abyss, JUMP! And grab them so they can join you for the ride.

Offline Fen-Fen

• lol u mad?
  • Female
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2010, 01:52:32 pm »
Don't act like you're hiding some big secret. You like animal people? There's worse things than that. Don't bring it up like a "huge" talk like you're coming out of the closet about your sexuality. If somebody asks, don't hide it, just say you have an interest in anthropomorphic animals.

I treated it like it was a big deal with my mom when I was 13-14 years old and she took it as such. Once the initial "flames" died down, she saw I just liked drawing animal people and talked with people who had the same interests. She knows one of my best friends is a furry and he's a responsible, nice guy who won't let me do something stupid so that eased her fears.
And I’ll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom,
I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger,
I’ve never known the lovin' of a man,
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand.

Offline Arc

• Say g'bye to yer kneecaps, chucklenuts!
  • Female
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2010, 07:12:38 pm »

Two words --> YOU DON'T.

Probably the most accurate thing anyone could have possibly said. XD

Echoing Fen-Fen... if anyone asks, you like anthropomorphic animals. It's nothing to 'come out' about or anything of the sort.

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2010, 08:44:15 pm »

Echoing Fen-Fen... if anyone asks, you like anthropomorphic animals. It's nothing to 'come out' about or anything of the sort.
Bah, it took me a year to learn that. That was in interesting year.  :o

I would also advise, from experience, to be a little leery about using the word 'anthropomorphic' right out of the gate. It's a big word and it tends to overwhelm people, so I usually start off with 'cartoon animals' and go up from there.
"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Fen-Fen

• lol u mad?
  • Female
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2010, 09:30:41 pm »

Bah, it took me a year to learn that. That was in interesting year.  :o

I would also advise, from experience, to be a little leery about using the word 'anthropomorphic' right out of the gate. It's a big word and it tends to overwhelm people, so I usually start off with 'cartoon animals' and go up from there.

I always say, "animal people" because it sounds funnier to me. XD
And I’ll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom,
I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger,
I’ve never known the lovin' of a man,
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand.

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2010, 11:04:57 pm »
I'd probably agree, but I also like using "anthropomorphic." People give you funny looks when you use that  :D

Anyway, I'm gonna say that admitting you're in the fandom is not really "coming out."
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2010, 08:30:22 pm »
I think that neither Anthropomorphic nor Animal People would be good enough to describe us. Not everyone would know what anthro means and animal people convey interpretations open for the listener...
Then again if you can take your time to explain what anthropomorphism is and have a good listener, you've got the keyword :3
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2010, 07:53:41 pm »
Who /doesnt/ know what it means?  >:(
... maybe its just because everyone I know had to take at least some level of basic lit analysis
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2010, 10:02:21 pm »
I don't think that "anthropomorphic" would be as poorly received as some people seem to think.  People tend to think of me as the guy who knows random facts anyway, so if they don't know the word they would be likely to "bite" and ask what it means.  Most people, I think, would ask what it means, and that would open the door to explanation.  The explanation is the key part to keep simple. ;)
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.