Author Topic: Furniture?  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
Furniture?
« on: September 13, 2010, 02:36:51 am »
Okay here's a question what accommodations do furries (as in literary or comic) characters make for having tails when it comes to their furniture? Do they just sit on their tails which would seem to me would be uncomfortable after long periods of time or do they do something else? I think this comic gives a good example of what would be a good alternative though it would be probably be far easier to loose loss change, http://altermeta.net/archive.php?comic=46&view=showfiller
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Furniture?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:41:16 am »
 :o

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:34:56 pm »
I tend to think that any furniture that an anthro animal uses is going to depend on the species of that animal. Some animals might use furniture while others don't. An anthro elephant may need furniture that is more heavily constructed for it's bulk/weight than what a fox would need for example. ;) And I don't really see anthro animals as using human type beds. Can you imagine having to change/wash the sheets and blankets all the time due to shedding?  :o

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:23:05 pm »
Yea!  Furgonomics!

One would think that in a furry world,  things would be constructed differently from the start to better suit society.  They wouldn't be looking to adapt human furniture to their needs,  they'd be looking to create furniture that fit them from the base up...  So there's really no telling what they would have come up with.

But something like this might make sense:

There would be a notch for the tail,  but the spine wouldn't have to bend at 90 degrees with the chair angling down,   it would be a bit more natural
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:24:45 pm by Alsek »

Offline Kr2i

• Male
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:17:54 pm »
well it kinda depends their body shape some could have more human like shape when others could have a more animal like shape so really whatever makes them more comfortable for their body shape would be the type of furniture for them
Xboxlive: idk1394
PSN: turkey_bone1234

Add me if you want to

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 03:47:10 am »
The only reason I brought it up was the comic I linked to. I so often see comics and pictures where no such accommodation has been made.

Offline Foxxhoria

• Male
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 12:47:26 pm »
Well, of course, tails can be tucked out of the way, and I would imagine that it would be particularly untroublesome on soft surfaces such as a couch.  As differently as anthro-people would sit from cats and dogs, I would imagine that the tail would still be able to wrap around the side of one's legs in a similar way, and maybe it would be easier, as there would be more muscle to sit on which could elevate the tail root.  Also, I would imagine that it would be possible to kind of sit on your tail, with it coming out near your legs, if you wanted to recline (even if you got a numb tail and had to shift a bit every now and then ;) )

The one thing I see being a problem though are toilets...  Current modern ones are really un-tailfriendly. :P
Understanding leads to empathy,
Empathy leads to admiration,
Admiration leads to love

Optimism leads to disappointment,
Pessimism leads to joy,
although, with optimism you are happy almost all the time,
and pessimism you are sad almost all the time.

Where's the line between being bored and generally too lazy to do anything? :p

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 01:35:09 pm »
You could have a bidet style toilet. They come in a variety of different styles. It may be much more tail friendly.

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:28:52 pm »
I see we have a revival of the furgonomics thread... Yeah, so designing them from the ground up is so much non-cop-outing, though it is insanely difficult to do without ending up relying on your own pre-conceptions about furniture designs & constructions... and even types for that matter. Plus its easier for readers to identify with types of furniture that they are familiar with. Like: "oh that's a chair" as opposed to "... what is that? a... I have no cl- oh, it's a sitting thing.... a chair? Doesn't look like a chair..."
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 03:39:08 pm »
It's been many, many years since I read them, but I believe that the leonine aliens in C.J. Cherryh's Chanur series used bowl chairs.  Which seemed pretty much perfect to me.  Cats would love bowl chairs.  I thought it was such a great idea (and I spent so much time pretending I was one of those aliens) that a bowl chair is all I wanted for my birthday that year.

Here's a picture of a bowl chair, in case there's any confusion:  http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/21/5/AAAAAj--HkYAAAAAACFaVg.jpg
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 06:19:18 pm »
Or maybe more of those japanese public toilet thingies...
But those are creepy >>;
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 04:11:24 am »
It's been many, many years since I read them, but I believe that the leonine aliens in C.J. Cherryh's Chanur series used bowl chairs.  Which seemed pretty much perfect to me.  Cats would love bowl chairs.  I thought it was such a great idea (and I spent so much time pretending I was one of those aliens) that a bowl chair is all I wanted for my birthday that year.

Here's a picture of a bowl chair, in case there's any confusion:  http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/21/5/AAAAAj--HkYAAAAAACFaVg.jpg

I love those things! They're easier to fall a sleep in than a recliner and far more comfortable. I'd have one here but they just take up to much space.