Author Topic: Anyone have parents that don't understand?  (Read 10768 times)

Offline Axelfox

• Species: Red fox
  • Male
Anyone have parents that don't understand?
« on: September 22, 2010, 04:11:54 pm »
Because it seems mine don't,i once wore a fox tail and they said the only time i can wear it is on Halloween,and everytime i show them a video of something like Anthrocon,they seem to be silent for some reason.

Offline Mooshi

Re: Anyone have parents that don't understand?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 04:26:37 pm »
Most likely because of their own upbringing/ personal beliefs + furry being weird. (ALL subcultures are weird, no exceptions) If they aren't into it, it's fine. As long as you're happy, right?

Think of it this way. Even though furry is nowhere near the status of religion, I'll use religion as a reference anyway. To me, people who flaunt their furriness to others and wanting acceptance is kinda like those people who goes door to poor passing out bibles. If I were into that, I'd talk about the Lord with them. If religion wasn't my thing, I'd get annoyed and feel like it was shoved on me.

Just my 2.

Offline Fieldy

• Female
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 05:27:27 pm »
The people I live with (my mom an brother) don't mind when I wear my ears and tail. I even have friends that won't walk near me when I am wearing my stuff, but my family doesn't care one bit. I guess I am lucky that my family is so understanding of things.
As for wearing your tail, just wear it when they are not around.  ;)
Avatar cropped from a picture by Attackcheetah on DeviantArt.
http://attackcheetah.deviantart.com/

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 07:51:09 pm »
(Disclaimer: I'm on better terms with my parents than most people I know. I have one of those ridiculously close families, with 30562345 cousins..)

My parents think furry is weird, and don't care about whatever it is I do, as long as it doesn't affect me IRL. I wear a collar, and neither of them can stand it. (Surprisingly, my father is more vocally..unappreciative of it, despite usually taking the role of 'hey..I just live here', and usually being a pretty laid back person.) I'd love to wear a tail, but at this point, I'm just a Junior in highschool, with no say in what I do  ;).

It'll be 3 more years until I can choose what socially acceptable means, and starting to go to cons. (Spending a year in Israel when I graduate. Therefore, being 3 years instead of 2.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:27:37 pm »
Your profile says you're 33 years old. Therefor, you're an adult and can make your own choices on what you want to do with your life. I don't get it? Why would you still be worried what they think if you're 33?

Offline Axelfox

• Species: Red fox
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:44:19 pm »
Your profile says you're 33 years old. Therefor, you're an adult and can make your own choices on what you want to do with your life. I don't get it? Why would you still be worried what they think if you're 33?

Sorry,because i'm somewhat disabled.

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 04:43:50 am »
I don't live with my parents so they don't really care. Besides I don't really do much in the way of wearing a tail or ears or collar out in public, mostly because there is a time and a place for everything and I don't get the concept of having to wear that type of stuff all the time. That being said had I know about the fandom when I was in high school, I'd probably have been wearing a tail constantly and that would have been down right normal compared to what I was doing, black trench coat, jester's hat, and domino mask while calling myself "Death's Jester", so yeah wearing just a tail would have seemed completely normal by comparison.
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline Spirit

• Female
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:54:35 pm »
My parents are cool with it, because they know who I am and that I'm nowhere near their original impressions about the fandom. Actually, my dad works with a red kangaroo who runs furmeets in my area.  :D
... My aunt, however, is not. My mom casually brought up once that I wanted to go to AC, and she says it's insanity to take a child to a meeting of -gasp- people who like anthropomorphic animals! The horror!

Offline Bai

• Female
    • My Furaffinity
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 02:00:19 pm »
Well, you're old enough to be interested in what you're interested in. Just don't share it so much with them any more. A lot of people's parents don't understand a lot of things (my dad still holds onto the notion that you choose to be gay, along with several other ridiculous 'facts').

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 08:36:52 pm »
Oh gawd, my mom has started meowing.   :P
Fortunately my dad is more normal and has high suspicions on being a furry... he is kind enough to mind the me being gay more and not concerning himself with furries.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:40:15 pm by Serra Belvoule »
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Sigurd Volsung

• Male
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 02:53:00 am »
I will never get parents who care what sexual orientation the child is or what their non-illegal hobbies, say being a furry, are. I know as a parent that as long as my kid isn't doing something that is highly dangerous or doesn't get him into trouble with the law, as long as the law hasn't started violating basic civil liberties, I'm really not going to care.
Spit and bailing wire hold my mind together.
Translation: I need a hug

Offline RaggedyHatter

• I judge you based on how you type
  • Female
    • Furry art from a catram? :O
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 12:51:03 am »
My parents don't really care. And even if they did, I'm 25, living with my husband, holding down a job, and I'm mentally stable.

My parents didn't have any issue of me wearing cat ears throughout high school (they had more of an issue with all of the hats I wore) and they certainly had no issue when I had my fursuit shipped to their house (since my current residence has a nasty habit of losing packages, so I wasn't taking any chances).
Signature on hiatus until it gets its act together.

Offline Plutonium

• Male
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 12:57:43 am »
My parents where a little like that, they where more worried I would get assaulted/harmed more than that I was apart of the furry fandom. I had to fight to be able to wear my tail when I was a kid and even as an adult living with them. I wear it now during fun events and they are ok with it. Nothing horrible has happens, I have only had my tail pulled playfully at worse  :). I live in a pretty open minded region too, and their are furs I have seen around in suits who I hope to run into (I'm terribly shy though).

Definitely wear it when you can, it can be so fun.

Offline BlueWolfNariko

• I'm so mad I could just... *BOOM*
  • Female
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 07:55:20 pm »
I feel you, my parents looked and still do look at me weird when i mention fur cons, fursonas and fursuits,hopefully they'll understand in time

R.I.P Santa:
2001-2010

Live, love, laugh, for life is beautiful

~*~Nariko~*~

Offline Eddy

• Male
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 06:42:28 am »
Although my Mum was always tolerant of me being a furry but when I branched into it for the very first time, my Dad overreacted just a little bit. This was because he was so concerned about my safety. But now that time has passed, he's become much more tolerant.

Offline Stigandr

• Male
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 03:57:58 pm »
My parents are purfectly fine with me being a furry. I finally let them know the other day. (accidentally actually) I had eased them into the idea over time though, wearing a collar, doing furry art and all that jazz. They didn't seem surprised I would get into something like this, they thought it was cute.
Icon by Shynjy. Visit his FA for goodies!

Offline StarCollie

• Female
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 08:22:59 pm »
My parents don't understand, I don't think a lot of parents do or will.

But it doesn't mean that won't accept it over time. I told my parents when I was 16 and they slowly accepted but they don't understand 100% why I wear a collar/bandanna or draw furry art, but they go along with it :) Point is to not make it seem like a big deal. If you treat it like it is a big deal, they'll act like it is a big deal.
"...SQUIRREL..... anyway..."

~Star Collie

Offline Emerald Blade

• Guys, chill out, I got this" *KABOOM* "Nevermind
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 03:48:40 am »
My parents have a hard time understanding anything i do that isn't in their plans for me.  We had to go through a huge argument when i told them i didn't want to be and engineer any more and wanted to start making video games.  My dad still grumbles at me whenever the topic come up.  So i haven't even told them about fandom, much less that i was a part of it.
FYI I'm on Steam, wanna talk? msg me at Emerald Blade
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/UNCE-UNCE-UNCE.png

Offline Vukasin

• Male
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 02:52:57 pm »
My parents have no idea what furry is. I don't think they've even heard the term "furry".

I'm pretty sure if they knew what it was they wouldn't care though.

Offline Martin_Aresian

• Male
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 03:40:40 pm »
My parents don't understand any of my fandoms. They're not vocally against them but they certainly don't understand any of it. :D

Did anybody else get the Fresh Prince in their head when they read the title of this thread? Anybody? I'm old aren't I?
"Go to the ant you sluggard; consider her ways and be wise"
   -Proverbs 6:6

pic in icon done by Diana Harlan Stein
www.naiadstudios.com

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 04:30:48 pm »
Did anybody else get the Fresh Prince in their head when they read the title of this thread? Anybody? I'm old aren't I?

I thought more along the lines of "Paaarents don't understand why children love him most!" :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:10:06 pm by Shim »

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 06:40:21 pm »
 :o
Martin_Aresian is back! :D
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Martin_Aresian

• Male
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 09:25:11 pm »
:o
Martin_Aresian is back! :D

Well, yes. More or less. I'm around at the very least. I tend to wander away from places then just pop back with no explanation.
"Go to the ant you sluggard; consider her ways and be wise"
   -Proverbs 6:6

pic in icon done by Diana Harlan Stein
www.naiadstudios.com

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 10:14:16 pm »
Do my parents understand it? No. They don't say anything about it typically, though. And I am very close to my parents - always have been. But even moreso in the past couple years.

They have pretty much always just let me do what I will, for the most part. I live with them, so I don't do anything that will really bother them if I can help it. Though, for the most part, they are fine with whatever I may do so long as it isn't dangerous or something.

They know I went to a furry con, but never said anything. I have a large number of stuffed animals, and they find it slightly humorous but little else (my parents, mom and dad, recently started sleeping with plush figures as well - a Grinch and Max, and still do now that Christmas is past  :D). And my mom got me a t-shirt with Snoopy (I love Snoopy!) and a plate that is painted with a couple of wolves on it for Valentines.

At first they [dad, anyway, mom is...well...usually oblivious  x_x] made some jokes at the expense of it. "Tail" jokes and dropping the word "yiff" jsut to see me get flustered/stutter. But, that's the way he is. Now though? Pretty much just leaves it be completely.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 11:43:49 pm »
My parents don't understand really anything i do. :D
My mom likes my furry art though.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/