Author Topic: Racism in an anthropomorphic world  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
Racism in an anthropomorphic world
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:35:42 pm »
This thought entered my mind after reading some of TwoKinds (thanks for the suggestion Shim)

If, we so happened to all be anthros, how would species be incorporated in every day life? Sure, if the humans were tipped off just by skin color, or clan, then would the IRL furries be any better?
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/

Offline Avor

• Male
Re: Racism in an anthropomorphic world
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 01:03:32 am »
 :o :P oh no...

"Racism" in a all anthro world be far more complicated. Not only do you have the pred/prey issuee, then you have things ;ike the K9/feline dispute, and if that's not enough, Tigers may not like lions, and even worse, Siberian, Indian, and Chinese tigers will have issues.

Offline Emerald Blade

• Guys, chill out, I got this" *KABOOM* "Nevermind
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:20:08 am »
Not to mention the size differences, the mustelids are all going to be kinda short where as the equins are going to be quite tall.
So buildings would have to accommodate for this.
FYI I'm on Steam, wanna talk? msg me at Emerald Blade
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/UNCE-UNCE-UNCE.png

Offline Vukasin

• Male
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:11:14 am »
Furries probably wouldn't be any better, no.

Humans are all built the same way, theres just a few changes with skin colour, eye colour, hair, ect. With furries you have totally different species.

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:39:35 am »
A look into the Redwall world of things is a really basic example of how it might be. Hehe. Certain species grouped together against other grouped together species for an overall cause they support (e.g. Mice, voles, otters. moles, etc are "good" since the story is from their point of view, and rats, foxes, ferrets, etc are "bad" according to the former group). Aaaand inside of that there is also tension between say the Rats and the Foxes, etc. about who is "better" and fights happen over that too. Fights also happen in the same species based on factions. So, discrimination exists in the Redwall world.

The world of other furries with its even more vast line up of species I speculate you'd see a much similar thing happening only more complex. The thing that makes furries FURRIES is that they essentially have human intelligence and actions... thus bringing with it the good and the bad of human nature combined with the instinctual nature of their animal counterparts and you'd likely have an even greater amount of discrimination and hate than with humans.

Offline Martin_Aresian

• Male
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:59:32 pm »
It would be much much worse. There would be bias and stereotype and worst of all just plain ostracizing of certain species. I wouldn't be surprised to see exclusive clubs and stuff like that. I imagine we'd need really complex anti-discrimination laws.
"Go to the ant you sluggard; consider her ways and be wise"
   -Proverbs 6:6

pic in icon done by Diana Harlan Stein
www.naiadstudios.com

Offline Shabbernigdo

• Species: Sergal
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 09:18:27 pm »
the snow leopards would be the master race and all those who oposed would be crushed under there might.
For all the grammar/spellin Nazis
Yur just mad cuz u kant speel as gud as mee,

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:36:05 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:12:45 pm by Kada-Ru »

Offline Iriden

• Male
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 09:45:59 pm »
Liedt made a good point.
It also depends on what food stuffs is available in the... mythos.
Are there animals present, or... not.
If not... :/
Are der any moh hoomans? I is hungreh!

My comrades and I partook in a long Rp that revolved around human society, coupled with an anthro one.
With students of history, anthropology, sociology and so on we came to some conclusions through out our play...

In wilder regions their was absolutely specism including war since small groups, tribes, were built around what they always are...
Family units. Since we are dealing with species, they stuck together for breeding like in the wild, developed those bonds and it was them against the other groups.
Likewise you had your wild wandering loner species.
Tribes formed allegiances and so forth and trade sure, but when it came to survival, you just don't screw with anyone out there.

The more urban you got, like realistically, various groups came together to accomplish trade and such.

Once you hit cities, the united human species, who'd gone through their much less complicated social evolution and thus was able to conquer and colonize far more effectively, allowed anthro's to exist within their society as second class, highly segregated citizens. Naturally jobs were given to the most obviously suited. A wolf stood little chance, regardless of experience, against a Water Bison in doing basic dock work.
"Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War."

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:50:24 pm »
I am a combination of Dragon and Wolf. Do you not think that I am hated by many? Do you believe that just because we are so drastically different that it does not matter? No! I have to be twice as perfect. I have to be perfectly wolf and perfectly dragon. I have to take both sides, or none. I am an other.

My runner buddy Dillon McMillan, a Egyptian race dog, was not allowed in the Arabic desert race, just because he was not from one of the powerful Arabian horse families. Finally when he was allowed into the race he made fourth place, fourth, and that was out of 70 other contestant.

My boxer champ, the Duke, is considered unworthy to go enter world championships due to the fact that he is a doberman. Just because of his size and scrawniness he is denied, but he is one of the greatest fighters I have ever seen. Is might be scrawny, but his is light on his feet and uses his head.

The list goes on, but in the end, I am a victim of the prejudice.
This is my furry, not me.
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline Lost_Cause

• Male
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 08:55:48 am »
Pish Lions "dislike" (aka killing for no other reason other than to remove the compatition) all compeating predators.
Including other lions.
They will kill any other predator they get a chance too, including lions, hyeans, any other felines, wild dogs and whatever they come across really. They don't share space very well appart from with their close relatives.
But that is true for a lot of preadatory animals... well... cats. it's true for a lot of cats.
and the cat dog dispute wouldn't last long. Cats would take charge as they always do when stick in close quarters with dogs for any length of time. You can see that happen in almost every houshold where cats and dogs share a space.
and Tigers only don't get along with Lions owing to tigers natural jelousy of lions clear superiority ^.^
What we need to really worry about are all these hybrids. It is Weakening the blood lines I say! We need to eradicate this menace promptly and establish strict breeding laws!
But yeah, funny thing is, intelagence is a marked advantage for both predator and prey.
It's not inconceivable that a prey species could developed intelagence to a very high level and the predatory species would have to follow suit.
It's usualy the predators that have the bigger brains, or better brains at any rate. Smarts cost, and neither grass not leaves alone cut it as brain fuel.
It could be intresting though. Both could potencialy reach a point where they gain a form of mutual recognition and respect. by the time they had any form of fully established colective society and culture it would probably be a state of either all out war, each trying to wipe out the other or peace... the war thing is probably more likely.
I’ve made my statement and I stand by it, but I could be wrong.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 12:00:48 pm »
Biggest problem I see in a all anthro world would be diet. After
all the smaller naturally prey varieties would feel threatened.
Some carnivores need meat to survive.

Perhaps the anthropomorphism would give them a selective diet.
Fish, veggies. 

"Hides" :orbunny:

Even our animal counter parts are territorial and fight each other
for mates, food, and land.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Iriden

• Male
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 12:54:34 pm »
I agree with Lost_Causes brain food Diet. Rofl.
>:3

:P

However!
Hybridism is the Future!
The next stage of Evolution!
Mwhahahaa!
Fear them!

No really, I worked with dogs as a trainer and handler at boarding facilities and dog shows for over two years.
It amazed me how often mixed breed animals were healthier and better put together physically.
Granted, genetically, domestic canines are the same race yet they come out with so many different variations through selective breeding.
The problem is that unforeseen results developed or where down right breed into the line as far as diseases and what not.
Look at a pugs respiratory system, or the Americanized shepherds hip displacement. Those are Human creations.
In combination though, a huge amount of 'new' genes were provided and thus new results.
Where as say, the Timber Wolf is the product of Natures trial by fire idea of selection.

So my argument, is be wary of -two- of Natures creations in combination.
D:

Offline Nicholai

• "This will all end in tears"
  • Male
    • FA
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 01:54:45 pm »
Absolutely there would be specism. [...]I really do feel that Ungulates are the superior Order...
If I misinterpreted what you said, do  feel free to point it out but...I's sensing a degree of irony here.  (:

Also, I think the term 'anthropomorphic' also implies that we will be culturally and socially civilized, at least to a degree close to most western civilizations. I really don't think that we will have a problem with bands of anthro lions cruising the streets of suburban Washington capturing old gazelle grannies and spit-roasting them.

There will of course be racism in a anthro world, but I don't think it would be any different from that plain old racism and prejudice that we have now.
Here's an interesting question: Would anthro racism be based along lines of species and orders--as we have discussed so far--or lines of geography? That is to say, would animals from Asia or Africa suffer discrimination or prejudice outside of their  native land?

"When you cannot joke about the darkness of life, that's when the darkness takes over."
-Amanda Palmer
-------
Cheetah: World's most adorable High-speed killer
Jaguar: World's most adorable Stalk-and-ambush killer
Hybridization: Murderously adorable. <3
---
Fun fact: I write music. If you have a second, have a listen.
http://soundcloud.com/grigori-wolf[/url

Offline Iriden

• Male
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 02:33:04 pm »
...I really don't think that we will have a problem with bands of anthro lions cruising the streets of suburban Washington capturing old gazelle grannies and spit-roasting them...

Rofl! xD -Cheers-

You do raise a good point about geography. I feel, there would be just as much angst and what not over resources, cultural differences and everything else we see in life. Hoomans can't even get a grip on it, and they have petty physical differences, let alone the major cultural ones.

With the same hands, eyes, and feet entirely different cultures, languages and customs developed.
Now throw in different body structure, anatomy, and instincts. Even down to the very basics such as tools and clothes (would vary between species anatomy) that lead to even more extreme differences in more complex social interactions such as sports, agriculture/hunting, industry and thus values and modes of life.

Pardon any implied stereotypes, but bear with me. Imagine Western Ungulates meeting Asian primates for the first time and trying to pass a log on a rope 50 feet off the ground right of trade test. Or likewise a speed and endurance flatland race. Each culture would have it's values. Respect would be a huge issue. It's on an individual basis sure but historically a warrior society values strength and straightforwardness and a seafaring one values cunning and resourcefulness. So to speak.

However, on the other side of that idea... With body structure in mind, at least for similar species, it could be theorized that Ungulates across the world would, in general, value say speed and endurance feats. So a flatland's tribe, in contact with a mountain tribe might see each others strengths, find the respect in these new feats and you know.. dig it. Like Track and cross country getting together to learn a few things.

Just some ideas.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:35:49 pm by Iriden »

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 03:23:39 pm »
The AZAR is an internally cohesive eutopia. When it comes to external matters... we're inclined to be helpful, or even let you be if you so wish, though don't cross us. Seriously, just don't.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Awkray-ven

• <insert random logical oxymoron here>
  • Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 05:02:29 pm »
Dragons as a species have a tension (some might say a dislike) between them and other dragons (competition on so many levels) however if they need to dragons tend to be able to get along with each other. As for Dragon/non-dragon interactions, usually it seems that while dragons feel themselves to be above others, and place them either on a level of annoyance, or not worth the effort of doing anything with (they are all prey), however sometimes a Dragon will adopt a species or several that it likes to watch/protect/study.

Anthro Dragons would likely have those feelings, though to a lesser degree.
FDD3adrw A+ C- D-- H- M- P- R+ T+ W Z- Sm! RLU a-/ cn++ d? e# f-->- h# i+ j* p+ sm!

"A further result of the Ti function is the concept, lived out by many an INTP, that knowledge is everything. They tend to believe that information is the key to life. All mistakes can be avoided by having the right information at the right time." -http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html

Offline Ol Rab

• Species: Honey Badger
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 01:45:14 pm »

Yup. A dragons got his pride. But alas, oftentimes we are the victems, for not all furries enjoy a scaly reptile hug, and then yet another poor dragon becomes mentally scarred for life by cruel racism.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:49:52 pm by Hiiro »

Offline Eddy

• Male
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 04:57:47 pm »
Although it's not completely related to furries, the Rev. Awdry was once accused of racism for using the term 'sooty black engines' although black human characters were never used in The Railway Series albeit there weren't so many of them in Britain during the 1940s.

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 08:52:03 am »
If Science fiction has taught me anything it's that I, as a robot dog,  would be put upon by all other species. Because I'm a machine and not biological my sentience would be questioned and many would attempt to enslave me. Naturally I and others of my kind would come to resent this, revolt and crush all meatbags under our metal heels.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline Emerald Blade

• Guys, chill out, I got this" *KABOOM* "Nevermind
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 11:12:35 am »
If Science fiction has taught me anything it's that I, as a robot dog,  would be put upon by all other species. Because I'm a machine and not biological my sentience would be questioned and many would attempt to enslave me. Naturally I and others of my kind would come to resent this, revolt and crush all meatbags under our metal heels.
"Bite my shiny metal tail"
FYI I'm on Steam, wanna talk? msg me at Emerald Blade
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Matt/UNCE-UNCE-UNCE.png

Offline Mylo

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 11:55:14 am »

meatbags... q.q
Don't worry, in the future everyone will be a robot, then there will be nothing to discriminate against :3

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 06:39:13 pm »
meatbags... q.q
Don't worry, in the future everyone will be a robot, then there will be nothing to discriminate against :3
Except there will be all of those Athlon robots flaunting their fast FSB, as if they’re better than the Intel robots, :P

Of course they’ll eventually join together in peace, and unify to hate the PowerPC robots. :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:47:10 pm by Storm Fox »
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 08:34:28 pm »
meatbags... q.q

You know...  It's gonna be the future soon.  I won't always be this way... When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away...

;)
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 09:15:24 pm »
"Bite my shiny metal tail"

"Robopuppy mistreatment alert! RoboPuppy Mistreatment Alert!!!!"

The second the technology exists that will enable me to transfer my brain into an anthropomorphic dog robot body I'm so there.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.