Author Topic: Swearing and Foul language.  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Swearing and Foul language.
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:42:34 pm »
In the last several days, the staff have taken notice of a "slight" increase in swearing and foul language on the forums when people make posts. Granted, we can understand that people, places, and things will either bother people in real life or on the forums, but expressing your frustrations/feelings/thoughts in more "expletive" ways is not allowed on the forums per Furtopian rule # 3b which is the following:
d) No swearing of anything harsher than “damn” and “hell”. Please don't try to bend the rules by using creative spelling (fsck), acronyms (WT F), censoring, insinuation, or other tricks. Talk smarter, not harder.

It's bad enough that society uses so much swearing and foul language in our real life events, but there is no need to bring such language here on Furtopia. I'm sure we can all learn to discuss and post things in a more respectable and civilised manner. ;)  Posts with swearing and foul language will be edited or removed at staff's discretion. Thanks for your understanding. :)

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
Re: Swearing and Foul language.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:28:04 am »
This brings up a point with the influx of My Little Pony lingo. The community often says something like "what the hay" in place of hell, or uses the Fluttershy *yay* as a censorship that's also cute and funny. Taking the rule you quoted by its word, both of those would be considered breaking said rule because it's censoring. I was wondering if the rule is that hard and fast on even stuff like this (which is likely to stay mostly in the MLP threads anyway and thus the context is almost universally understood). I don't consider it the same as replacing a swear word with *censored*. The MLP censoring seems to be more people just inserting something like *yay* just to add something cute and funny to their statement that doesn't actually have anything that they would really need censored out.

So yeah, I guess the cliff notes of this would be: Is there any allowance for censor'ish type words that aren't actually censoring anything specific? I hope this is clear enough to make sense. It's late and past my bed time.  :-[
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:58:15 am »
What I'm mostly concerned about is people using ****** or s**t or something similar. Using "What the hay?" appears ok, at least IMO. The staff tend to take things on a case by case basis. ;)

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:56:19 pm »
I can understand the ****** thing. It's just a failed clever way of replacing vulgar language. I don't mind too many cuss words though. I mean if ever other word he/she drops the F bomb or is cussing another member out, then ya. But i don't mind using these words as more of an emphasis on the topic. Of course, I'm a very lenient person and it's not my forum, so...
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:51:47 pm »
Yeah, I'd generally say that if people commonly use it and it's not usually considered a swear, it's okay to post.  "What the hey/hay" is a completely respectful way. Also, "crap" and "butt" are just fine.  Technically, they're censoring, but they're also common in our speech as an alternative to swearing.

I know I saw a "frack" recently on the forums. While I love Battlestar Galactica, it's not commonly used and is too close to the original word.  Does that make sense?

I really support the rules for two reasons. One, it keeps things a little more civil. Two, it makes me giggle trying to think of new ways to say things. :D
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 11:59:10 pm »
What in Tarnation? I thought "frak" would be fine... Well, back to the freaking drawing board...
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:09:41 am »
I've never seen the show, but I thought "frack" was clever. So does this mean "rassin frackin bricken bracken" is too old school and out of practice to use too? (i think this one was used on a cartoon show for kids) lol
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Alexandre

• Back to waggles
  • Male
    • Alexandre's Fur Affinity Account!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 12:27:44 am »
Heh.  Hmm... actually, the more I think about it, the more "frack" might be fine. Honestly, this is something that might need discussed :D

After all, I know Yosemite Sam did say "rackin' frackin' varmint" on several occasions.  It might completely depend on context and how it's used.  There's also the fact that each moderator thinks slightly differently -- what I find okay might be a complete travesty to someone else.  Welcome to the small complications of a forum :)

If any other moderators want to chime in, that'd be great.  Just know that if we edit a post, we're really not trying to be mean; it's part of our work, and we just want to make this place suitable for all our members and guests.  Not all forums try to keep things age-appropriate, but we don't try to be like most other forums.
Allasso, Volume 2: Saudade is now out!  Feel free to check it out ^_^

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 01:26:09 am »
I agree we should be age-appropriate. Mainly because you never know what will offend people. but I will voice my opinion on this topic. I have no problem with swearing. Even the F bomb, which seems to be the worst. My only rule in life, is don't use these words in spite. I dont mind them as "conversation enhancers" (if you get the reference then you're amazing) but don't use them out of anger toward another person or thing. I'll drop the F-bomb, not to a stranger because again you never know what offends them, in public. But I really try to refrain from letting one fly when I stub my toe or get in an argument. Its hard, but that's the way I feel about it. they're just words and as long as the intent isn't to be hurtful to you, then there really isn't any reason to be offended. :D
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 10:03:55 pm »
I agree we should be age-appropriate. Mainly because you never know what will offend people. but I will voice my opinion on this topic. I have no problem with swearing. Even the F bomb, which seems to be the worst. My only rule in life, is don't use these words in spite. I dont mind them as "conversation enhancers" (if you get the reference then you're amazing) but don't use them out of anger toward another person or thing. I'll drop the F-bomb, not to a stranger because again you never know what offends them, in public. But I really try to refrain from letting one fly when I stub my toe or get in an argument. Its hard, but that's the way I feel about it. they're just words and as long as the intent isn't to be hurtful to you, then there really isn't any reason to be offended. :D

While you (or others) might not mind them as "conversation enhancers", I'm afraid that swearing and foul language still isn't allowed on the open public forums. Firstly, Furtopia is a "PG/Family Friendly" forum community. Second, We have members here as young as 13. Third, the Introductory quote from WhiteShepherd at the beginning of the main Furtopian rules:
http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php?topic=42607.0
.........also explains a little about why swearing and foul language is discouraged.

While you also say that they are "just words", Such swearing and foul language can still be hurtful, disrespectful, etc. to somebody, somewhere even if it is not directed solely at a specific individual or group. Swearing and foul language can be interpreted in various ways by different people.

Words such as, but not limited to:
@ss
F*ck
Dumb*ss
Sh*t
WT F (What the F*ck)
.......etc., etc., etc.  are inappropriate in the open public forums and not allowed.

Now if a member were to say:
"What the crap?"
"What the frak?" ( <-- Battlestar Galactica reference)
"What the hey/hay?"
.........or some other similar, but "lighter toned" wording, then the staff "probably" wouldn't have a problem with it depending on how it's used and directed toward, etc.

As I previously said, the staff tend to take things on a case by case basis. ;) And when something is not stated clearly in the rules, sometimes the mods/staff must make judgment calls on what they feel is in the best interest of the forum membership.