Author Topic: I am bothered by the selection  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
I am bothered by the selection
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:13:20 pm »
I was first introduced to anime in the hospital 1 day after being born. I have devoted my life to the beautiful things that have been created. I, however am disappointed by the selection of anime my friends watch. The most popular amongst them is bleach, which repeats the same pattern in each episode. Or "Anime" that are no more than a cartoon being shown on a children's network. I have shown them what I watch and I've had a girl in tears watching my stuff. People need to branch out there anime! I am going to include a fair list of my favorites.(which none have any goofy art styles) and If these are something you don't normally watch then please compare them to what you Beowulf now.
Mushi-Shi (I will never find an anime like this in my lifetime)
Spriggan
Robotech chronicals
Armitage
Mad Lax
Vampire Hunter D
Ghost in the Shell
Noir
Cowboy Bebop
Black Lagoon
Elfen Lied
Sword of the Stranger
Grave of the fireflies (this is close, if not, my favorite anime of all time.)
ALL of hayao myazaki's work.

If you have any questions, or want. More recommendations ask.

Offline Enchantingly

• Love and Light!
  • Male
Re: I am bothered by the selection
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:01:17 am »

Mushi-Shi (I will never find an anime like this in my lifetime)
You sure wont!~
"Truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just have to find the ones worth suffering for." - Bob Marley

Offline Mylo

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 12:07:13 am »
I've only seen a few on your list, and they are all movies (Miyazaki films, Ghost in the Shell).  I posted in the good movies thread the works of Hayao Miyazaki...Grave of the Fireflies is on my to-watch list as well.  Ghost in the Shell was very weird, and is one of those movies that I have to watch again to totally understand.

I've only watched a couple anime series completely through: Code Geass and Gurren LagannCode Geass was very good IMO, but Gurren Lagann was sort of meh to me.

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 03:46:47 am »
I've seen a few of these I think, although whether you mean the movies or series I'm unclear on. For example I've seen a fair few episodes of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, while I've seen the Cowboy Bebop movie but not the series. I've seen Grave of the Fireflies twice I think; not my favourite film ever but worth seeing and unusually serious for anime (note that by 'serious' I don't mean 'overdramatic').

Robotech is something I'd probably like since I generally enjoy Macross and its spin-offs, but I've just never come across it.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 04:56:35 pm »
The friend in college who introduced me to anime is actually very picky about which series he will watch. Though he has watched a lot of series/movies at this point. His list on Anime News Network (he tends to keep it fairly up-to-date) is at 245 completed series, with 5 more ongoing.

I have, through him, seen a few of those series you mentioned. One not on the list that I really enjoyed was Spice and Wolf (two seasons of it now). I also really enjoyed School Rumble, more slice-of-life than an ongoing story line.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:49:10 am »
Your friend sounds like me, being picky about what is worthy of our veiwing.
*Dramatically flips hair*
But it is nice to know that you're all watching these more serious anime. i say serious relative to the animation done.
also when i say a title it means over all, both movies and series.
Grave of the Fireflies will always have a special place in my heart. the emotional boundaries that move broke for me was outstanding. i've seen that film multiple times(not enough to ruin it) and each time i cry in the unmanliest way possible.