Author Topic: Americanizing anime  (Read 8088 times)

Offline megaman87

• Male
Americanizing anime
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:57:20 pm »
People, for years, I never realized that some anime out there has been americanized, until now. Practically, there has been anime that has been heavily edited and sometimes poorly dubbed, like the sailor moon DIC dub. But most distrubutors tend to take a step. further. Like godzilla, king of the monsters!, which involved taking the japanese version of the first godzilla movie, and added scenes with raymond burr, the same has been done for some anime. Seeing how successful king of the monsters was, and with the trend of other kaiju films being americanized, people knew that it was so easy to do the same thing with anime. Since animation is much easier to edit than live action, some american distrubutors decided to take the route of westernizing japanese animation, whether it was too violent, too sexual, "too japanese"(what?:P)or for no reason whatsoever.

Perhaps the most perfect example of this process has to be battle of the planets, the first english adaptation of gatchaman, where not only they took the gatchaman footage and dubbed it, they added in new scenes with 7-zark-7. Of course, anime like voltron or robotech had the same treatment, but were lucky enough to suffer only with having several shows mixed into one.

Though, one rare example of this process has to saber rider where not only the distributor, WEP, rewrote and reorganized the entire series, but removed five episodes for their content and replaced them with six newly animated episodes! Yeah, weird huh! You don't see that in most anime these days, don't you!? And there's not much information for the episodes, like who animated the episodes, and who directed them, the only info I know has to be the characters designs and differences to the regular japanese episodes or settings.

But the most controversial one of all has to be the never-before seen pilot of the american version of sailor moon, dubbed "saban moon" due to the confusion of many people believing that the show has to be made by saban. But in reality, the company behind the pilot was toon makers. The only thing that exists of this pilot has to be a 2 minute music video that is now currently shown on youtube. This probably has to be the most rarest example of americanizing anime there is.

So, this brings me the question, will there be any more anime that'll be americanized, and well will this process come back? But most importantly, how good does americanized anime stand to regular anime? And what do the japanese think of it? Comment me on what you think. That's all for now, I hope I explained enough. I rest my case.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:26:20 pm by megaman87 »

Offline werecat2012

• Male
Re: Americanizing anime
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 01:25:17 pm »
I found out that an anime called Dragonball Z I watched as a child was heavily edited for violence and content and changed in various ways. Recently I watched some episodes on the Internet and it's a little... different.

Some of the censorship in anime is maybe a bit silly, in my opinion, such as actually removing elements of Japanese culture, even replacing the food with foods more familiar to Americans. According to an article on anime censorship I read on Wikipedia, in one episode of Pokemon, Ash was carrying a Japanese rice and seaweed food called onigiri. In the American version, they painted over that with a submarine sandwich.  :D

Personally, I would rather watch the original version, complete with the original music and all of the cultural references and everything. I don't care if it's dubbed in English though.

Offline megaman87

• Male
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 04:20:28 pm »
Yes, but what I'm talking about here is not only editing out content and foreign culture, but also of having to spliced footage and adding in new footage with newly animated scenes that probably doesn't much the aspect of the original series, or like saban moon, having it beign remade from scratch! watch battle of the planets instance, like what I refered in my thread. Or rather watch the saban moon trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODz7ankdTHw

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:36:12 pm »
I checked out that link. Yeah... that sort of thing I would have to oppose. To Americanize or Westernize everything, even going as far as to replace entire episodes with new ones and change the appearance or characters, kind of "shelters" us from the outside world. They even edited out references to transgenderism in Battle of the Planets, as if being different is bad.

So it is my hope that with newer anime here in the 2010's, American parents won't be quite so uptight and we can all have easier access to the "real" version. However, I can understand editing out some of the violence if an anime is going to be played on a children's TV channel. But the real version should also be available for those of us who want it.

Offline megaman87

• Male
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 07:55:13 pm »
True, which explains why some are being released on DVD than on TV. If I were to dub anime, I'd aired it on MTV, 'cause it deserves to air more than just reality TV and beavis and butt-head. The only anime I know that aired on that channel was speed racer, but nothing else. But like I said, replacing episodes with new ones is pretty stupid, espicially for saber rider, though they had a reason, but they could've just removed them instead of replacing them. And the characters look obviously different, possibly to give them a more mature or "western" look. Though, saban moon definetly takes the cake, i just hope something like that doesn't happen again.

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:33:52 am »
Not the furst time I have to up this link here

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145

It pretty much says it all.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:57:30 am »
It's called "localization," and I do declare that I like Western dichotomies and jelly donuts.

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 11:29:46 am »

Heh, so true. Not that I really care about any of the animes they get there hands on, as I watch non-main stream stuff or things that weren't main stream at the time in Japanese, such as... Natsume Yuujincho, Toshokan Sensou, and Kekkaishi, etc.
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru

Offline megaman87

• Male
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 08:38:24 pm »

Yeah, I've read that comic before, really funny. And I understand about the "localization" part. But to be honest, america is one the most countries that will get any type of media and butchrize if there's anything "wrong" in it. But like I said before, to going as far as to even adding new animation to make up for the VERY heavy editing because of content(i.e. violence, sex, ect.), replacing entire episodes with new ones, or yet, this: http://www.moonsisters.org/moonsisters/ToonMakerS/ToonmakersSailormoon.htm, is something that will make a hardcore anime fan not be able to sleep for weeks.

So practically, we can all say what the hell was america thinking, or yet, what were the distributors(*cough*sandy frank*cough) thinking!? I'm just glad this kind of thing that happen so often any more...for now.(And be THANKFUL that 4kids didn't go as far as what WEP did to saber rider.)

Offline Mylo

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 11:09:14 am »
Yeah, I've read that comic before, really funny. And I understand about the "localization" part. But to be honest, america is one the most countries that will get any type of media and butchrize if there's anything "wrong" in it. But like I said before, to going as far as to even adding new animation to make up for the VERY heavy editing because of content(i.e. violence, sex, ect.), replacing entire episodes with new ones, or yet, this: http://www.moonsisters.org/moonsisters/ToonMakerS/ToonmakersSailormoon.htm, is something that will make a hardcore anime fan not be able to sleep for weeks.

So practically, we can all say what the hell was america thinking, or yet, what were the distributors(*cough*sandy frank*cough) thinking!? I'm just glad this kind of thing that happen so often any more...for now.(And be THANKFUL that 4kids didn't go as far as what WEP did to saber rider.)

This isn't just happening in anime.  It's what is contributing to the demise in quality of the entire entertainment industry...

Offline megaman87

• Male
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 02:46:14 pm »
I know, I know. I mean, I know some kaiju films were americanized, like godzilla, king of the monsters, and most people were power rangers REALLY come from. But somehow, I feel like anime gets the worst of it. I don't know why, but I guess maybe we weren't ready for transgenderism, ultra-violence, on sex on catoon shows like now...until akira came along and changed the way of anime, I think.

Offline CanisWolfred

• Male
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 01:11:38 pm »
No offense, but...this kinda stopped years ago. Sure it sucked that they used to do that, but most people have learned their lessons. It just seems like you're getting upset over something that's no longer a problem. The worst we have to deal with these days from what I've seen are a few edits here and there to kids shows like Yu-Gi-Oh and the like...stuff that only existed to sell toys, and are usually made right out of the box to be as unoffensive as possible.

...Except making halo's into glowing balls in the DBZ remake...what was up with that?
Arooo~

Offline Aloneness

• Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 03:32:53 pm »
No offense, but...this kinda stopped years ago. Sure it sucked that they used to do that, but most people have learned their lessons. It just seems like you're getting upset over something that's no longer a problem. The worst we have to deal with these days from what I've seen are a few edits here and there to kids shows like Yu-Gi-Oh and the like...stuff that only existed to sell toys, and are usually made right out of the box to be as unoffensive as possible.

...Except making halo's into glowing balls in the DBZ remake...what was up with that?

Except there is still the problem with the terrible voice acting >w> and the horrible naming since of characters that makes me wanna impale my ears ever time I hear it ... *cough cough* Spice and Wolf... It's Horo, not Holo... -.-
Ren's Translation Note:

Avi by Haru

Offline megaman87

• Male
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 09:39:11 pm »
I know it has ended years ago, i'm just saying this because what happens if this kind of thing happens again. I mean, we may never what'll happen with anime in the next few years. But yeah, i'm just writing this to point it out to most people who don't know their anime history, that's all. Nothing much. Really.

Offline CanisWolfred

• Male
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 05:17:20 pm »

Except there is still the problem with the terrible voice acting >w> and the horrible naming since of characters that makes me wanna impale my ears ever time I hear it ... *cough cough* Spice and Wolf... It's Horo, not Holo... -.-

I completely disagree and have always found "problems" like that to be making a mountain out of a molehill. And for the record, there's no difference between L and R in Japanese. I kinda doubt it matters which one they use, and there's even a chance it's supposed to be Holo, since you know, they do get some feedback from the original creators. (EDIT: "Concerning the spelling of Holo's name, Yen Press has stated that they "were instructed that the proper spelling of the character's name is indeed Holo" by the Japanese licensor." - Myanimelist)

@Megaman87 - Okay, just wanted to make sure you were aware. I agree that it's something that should be known so something like that doesn't happen again. I kinda doubt it'd be possible for them to get away with doing such a thing with the internet being so prevelant, though, but as you said, you never know.
Arooo~

Offline megaman87

• Male
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 08:30:53 pm »
Exactly. Because thing you know, there might be another battle of the planets or another saban moon or something. So, we always gotta be on the lookout, I guess.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 12:50:09 am »
No offense, but...this kinda stopped years ago. Sure it sucked that they used to do that, but most people have learned their lessons. It just seems like you're getting upset over something that's no longer a problem.

This, holy crap this. Ever since 4kids basically vanished one day, this hasn't been a problem.

American dubbing has only gotten better and better as time goes on. The whole sub vs. dub thing really doesn't apply anymore since they're usually even and now it's a matter of preference and not which is obviously better.

Offline megaman87

• Male
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 01:16:33 am »
True.

Offline Aloneness

• Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 01:16:03 pm »
I completely disagree and have always found "problems" like that to be making a mountain out of a molehill. And for the record, there's no difference between L and R in Japanese. I kinda doubt it matters which one they use, and there's even a chance it's supposed to be Holo, since you know, they do get some feedback from the original creators. (EDIT: "Concerning the spelling of Holo's name, Yen Press has stated that they "were instructed that the proper spelling of the character's name is indeed Holo" by the Japanese licensor." - Myanimelist)

You know for being mildly sarcastic *sighs*...

I'm just expressing my opinion, by saying that I like Japanese over English versions of anime a good 90% of the time. The reasons for that are because I don't like the majority of voice actors: Vic Mignogna, and Greg Ayres who are two of my most disliked.

And you know, just to instigate...

In Japanese her name is "ホロ" using Katakana....

ホ = Ho
ロ = Ro

This is way to complicated to explain with out a picture however I'll try my best...

In English you make a 'R' sound in the back of your mouth/throat and almost touch the roof of your mouth with your tongue...

In English you make a 'L' sound by pressing your tongue against your upper teeth...

Neither are correct...

In Japanese you make a 'R' sound between the English 'L' and 'R' sounds putting your tongue in the area you'd normally make a 'T' sound in English

That's why Rice is not Lice... ...
Ren's Translation Note:

Avi by Haru

Offline CanisWolfred

• Male
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 05:11:59 pm »
Sorry for not getting sarcasm on the internet. <_< I can understand it being you personal preference, and don't take issue with that. I do take issue over things like naming when most of the time, those people are complaining over things they know very little about. Obviously this is not one of those cases, though. Sorry.
Arooo~

Offline megaman87

• Male
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 07:50:33 pm »

You know for being mildly sarcastic *sighs*...

I'm just expressing my opinion, by saying that I like Japanese over English versions of anime a good 90% of the time. The reasons for that are because I don't like the majority of voice actors: Vic Mignogna, and Greg Ayres who are two of my most disliked.

And you know, just to instigate...

In Japanese her name is "ホロ" using Katakana....

ホ = Ho
ロ = Ro

This is way to complicated to explain with out a picture however I'll try my best...

In English you make a 'R' sound in the back of your mouth/throat and almost touch the roof of your mouth with your tongue...

In English you make a 'L' sound by pressing your tongue against your upper teeth...

Neither are correct...

In Japanese you make a 'R' sound between the English 'L' and 'R' sounds putting your tongue in the area you'd normally make a 'T' sound in English

That's why Rice is not Lice... ...

I agree with the pronunciation part, but I mostly disagree about you perferring japanese over english, and it's because not all english dubs are bad, some of them have some pretty good acting as well, in fact, most can be better and perhaps more realistic than the japanese. And speaking about that, japanese voice acting isn't perfect either, sometimes it can be exaggerating, overacted, kinda funny, odd, or just plain annoying, espicially when it comes with female voices, too. So, all in all, not all voice acting can be incredible, you know. Hope it wasn't much nitpicking.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 09:17:43 pm »
If the English dub sounds good, I'll use it because it's easier to comprehend the story.  Sometimes Japanese is better.  Sometimes English is better.

As an example, I once tried watching Steamboy in Japanese.  It's not that the dub was bad...it's the fact that I just couldn't get used to the fact that the characters were in Victorian England speaking Japanese.  It just didn't work for me.

Offline Aloneness

• Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 12:11:56 am »
If the English dub sounds good, I'll use it because it's easier to comprehend the story.  Sometimes Japanese is better.  Sometimes English is better.

As an example, I once tried watching Steamboy in Japanese.  It's not that the dub was bad...it's the fact that I just couldn't get used to the fact that the characters were in Victorian England speaking Japanese.  It just didn't work for me.

Steamboy is a movie right? I don't remember... In any case, I much prefer the English dubs for most movies oddly enough, for example with most of Miyazaki's movies a I prefer the English over the Japanese.
Ren's Translation Note:

Avi by Haru

Offline megaman87

• Male
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 07:22:37 pm »
Yep.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 11:41:31 pm »
Lets talk Dragon Ball Z. I have a Japanese friend who tells me this is one foul mouthed cartoon. He thinks the English dubbing is funny as hell. 

If I have the choice I like captioning. It allows me to hear the intent of the voice actor wile reading the translation. After a wile it becomes second nature to watch and read at the same time.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.