Author Topic: IRC is stressing me out, please help,...  (Read 4021 times)

Offline nimshi

• Species: fossa
  • Female
IRC is stressing me out, please help,...
« on: December 15, 2014, 10:11:55 pm »
So, I'm completely... like really completely new... to this whole IRC thing.
yes I know - and yes, i guess i lived under a rock for the past 20 plus years when it comes to communication on the internet
call my lazy, but prefab messenger systems made my life super easy and I'm spoiled horribly

in any case I went ahead and registered my username with nickserv
gave myself a password and thought everything was fine...
NOPE - I have like 15 passwords for work, probably 10 more for personal stuff and i have no freaking clue what my password for this nickserv monster is

i log in and it threatens to change my name in like a blink of an eye so im sitting here typing and trying god only knows how many flipping passwords only to fail and get some random name which if fustrating because here i am still typing away and its like
" this nickname is not registered..." well no duh,... arrgh

so, now that i fully vented i do feel a little better, can someone... anyone explain to me like i am 5 -- how do i recover a forgotten password in this nickserv thing?

also any help you can give to me (like how does one actually communicate on this thing - that would be great to)
i did log in once, it was a magical afternoon, i was at work playing around on my phone and actually sucessfully signed on. someone said hello and i was all happy... until all atempts to reply FAILED so i just disconnected... its not like i knew how to say goodbye so, they probably think im rude...

(in reality im just a techo newb, faking it till i make it, desperately seeking help on this  :'( )
im going to curl up in a ball and slip into la  la land. i hope when i wake up someone will be my hero(s) and point me in the right direction.

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
Re: IRC is stressing me out, please help,...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 11:28:43 pm »
This should work to reset your password...
In the IRC, type: /msg nickserv resetpass <your_registered_nickname> <the_email_you_registered>

And once done, a new password should be sent to your email with instructions on what to do.
(And be sure to omit any of the "<" & ">" from my examples when you type.)

And some basics off the top of my head...
to join a channel: /join <#channel_name>
to leave a channel: /part <#channel_name>
to leave the server: /quit <optional message>
to talk to someone privately: /msg <the_person's_nick> <message>
to mark yourself as away: /away <message>
to return from away status: /away

And to just talk, once in a channel, simply type what you want to say and hit send or enter.

Others more experienced with IRC than I am will likely come around to give more advice. But in the mean time, you can always get the irc help text by typing: /help
And the nickserv help by typing: /msg nickserv help
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:32:26 pm by Storm Fox »
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:15:13 am »
An IRC Op can also reset your password for you and give out help where needed. Here's a list of the current staff and their associated nicks found in this thread:

IRC Ops:
IRC Operators are members who watch and maintain the IRC channels.

Alsek

Avan/Kaira

Loc

Syi/Weisseman/Rrylaine/Khimaria
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline nimshi

• Species: fossa
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 10:07:40 pm »
Thank you all so much for replying to my distress call! :-[
 I'm going to give it a try now.