Author Topic: Greymuzzles  (Read 6905 times)

Offline Literate Lycan

• Species: Gothic grey wolf
  • Male
Greymuzzles
« on: June 20, 2016, 03:52:32 am »
(Moderators: This may have been an old forum topic. I want to start a new discussion thread)

At what age is a fan considered a greymuzzle?

Poll numbers from various furry research studies put the average greymuzzle threshold at 42. I've heard others suggest lower ages, all the way down to 30.

My opinion is that 30 is far too young. There's a substantial segment of the fandom in their 30s and I wouldn't consider any of them a furry version of old age pensioner. I would suggest the oldest 10% of the fandom, which would put the greymuzzle age somewhere in the early 40s. I'm good friends with a group of furs who are between 30 and 45 and I *might* consider the oldest one (at 45) a greymuzzle. I know and have met fans who are in their 50s and even older.

In the interests of disclosure: I'm 58. A greymuzzle by any standard. Less than 1 year in active fandom though I've probably been an unacknowledged furry for several years. And I'm a fursuiter. But never too old for the fandom.

I'd love to hear what others say...thanks!

"All stories are about wolves..." -- Margaret Atwood, "Blind Assassin"

Avatar by Blitzy Arts : www.blitzy-arts.weebly.com

FA: www.furaffinity.net/user/varek-wolf
Twitter: @VarekWolf

Furry code: FCWh3a A- C D H+ M- P- R+ T W Z Sm- RLGP a+++ cm+ e+++ f h++++ i+ j p+

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Greymuzzles
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:01:08 am »
Back when I started in the fandom in 2003, I think the greymuzzle age was about 30-35. But as the years go by and the demographics and culture of the furry fandom change, that greymuzzle age can go higher or lower. I think an "average" greymuzzle age should be 40 or 45.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 05:27:19 pm »
I'm 53. Been furry all my life. But only known about the fandom for about 5 years now. I feel to young to be a grey muzzle. And I've never been to old to sit or hang around with anyone at any of the cons i've been to. If grey muzzle is a tittle given to someone who's been in the fandom for a long time than I don't count. If ti's age I'll concede.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 05:33:31 pm »
If grey muzzle is a tittle given to someone who's been in the fandom for a long time

Yeah, that's another thing. Some people tend to argue or think that a person has to be in the fandom for a certain period of time to be a greymuzzle. But I really don't know what this length of time should be.

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 10:14:49 pm »
So i guess grey muzzle is like furry. It's there but hard to define.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 10:26:08 pm »
So i guess grey muzzle is like furry. It's there but hard to define.

Exactly. ;)  As the old saying goes: Furry is what you make of it.  The same could equally be said of greymuzzles.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:25:51 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 12:01:29 am »
I'm 31, and compared to the younger set of furry fans, I am a greymuzzle (I even have the white hair growing in to prove it!). But compared to the greymuzzles that are in their 50s, I am still a young'un. I would like to say greymuzzles are definitely the furry fans who have been in the fandom for many years.
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 12:15:47 am »
The issue what is is a definition what is a grey muzzle lays in demographics. According to the furry survey the average  age  of the fandom is 23 with a peak of 19.   

http://www.adjectivespecies.com/2015/08/24/furry-demographics/

Note there a sharp drop off after the peak.

With is  in mind   There are two often sited definitions  what is a geymuzzle is:
a.   A furry 30 years old or older.
b.   A furry that been in the fandom a long time  (usually 10 year or more)

The problem  with (b) is  a person  who finds the fandom  at 10  can be in the fandom for  ten years but still in the fandom.

The way I look at it is the point where one find the self  outside  both culturally and socially the younger average demo.

http://www.adjectivespecies.com/2015/08/24/furry-demographics/

Offline Nataku

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 11:59:36 pm »
By Acton's definition a) I would not be a greymuzzle. By definition b) I would be a greymuzzle twice over. But as pointed out, that's not a great way to define it as you could well have people half the age of others being considered greymuzzle due to time spent in the fandom.

However, I generally consider a greymuzzle to be anyone who is significantly older than the local furry crowd (by at least 15 years), or in general someone at least 45-50 years old. Frankly there's too many furries I find that are in their 30s or close to it to consider that a greymuzzle. The poll may show that furries are younger, but how many of those stay furries? I find it more likely a large portion of those '19-23' range will not be furries in another few years as interests drift.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 08:19:33 am »
I think it's fairly personal as to if you call yourself a greymuzzle or not. Do you feel old or older? Do you feel like you've been in the fandom a long time? If so then sure, call yourself one, but I'm not sure there is (or should be) any fixed definition.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Literate Lycan

• Species: Gothic grey wolf
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 01:10:45 am »
I think it's fairly personal as to if you call yourself a greymuzzle or not. Do you feel old or older? Do you feel like you've been in the fandom a long time? If so then sure, call yourself one, but I'm not sure there is (or should be) any fixed definition.

I think this makes the most sense. I call myself a greymuzzle, but I don't consider myself "old" (so long as I ignore a few arthritic joints). If anything, the fandom has made me feel younger and more active than I've been in a long time.

I'm still interested in others' opinions, so please feel free to chime in.

Thanks!
"All stories are about wolves..." -- Margaret Atwood, "Blind Assassin"

Avatar by Blitzy Arts : www.blitzy-arts.weebly.com

FA: www.furaffinity.net/user/varek-wolf
Twitter: @VarekWolf

Furry code: FCWh3a A- C D H+ M- P- R+ T W Z Sm- RLGP a+++ cm+ e+++ f h++++ i+ j p+

Offline Subzerus

• Species: Anthro lizard
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 11:27:40 am »
I think it's a bit of a loose term like furry in the way of: there's no real right way to define it and it comes to every person's choice to define it.
Profile picture by Javatan.
http://javatan.deviantart.com/

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 11:15:14 am »

I agree with Loc.  I first started drawing furry characters over 30 years ago, but I don't feel
any older other than being a little stiff in a few joints.

At 69 I can probably call most of you furs young pups, but one is as young or old you as you
feel. I see no reason to feel it's childish to have fun and enjoy fantasy stories of anthro animasls
and dragons. I imagine some women still like to fantasize being a princess saved by a knight in
shining armor. Some might say I am in my second childhood, but if that's the case I never left
it.  :D  I have enjoyed reading and seeing  anthro animal character stories since I was a little kid.

I think it's sad for people to  think they should leave fantasy or dreams to the young, We live to
short a life to give up fun and fantasy. Not to say we shouldn't be responsible, but enjoy your
dreams. As long as they don't hurt others it should be fine in spite of those old stuffed shirts out
there who think we are foolish.

So greymuzzle or not I plan to be a furry as long as I can. Even it's just reading or listening to
stories about it. :orbunny:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:22:22 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Robert_Silvermyst

• Species: Archangel Wolf
  • High King of Furgasta
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 03:21:18 am »
I consider myself a greymuzzle, being 36 currently. I've been in the community since the start of Furcadia. I still consider myself young as a person, but I look at how long one has been in the fandom as being a better qualifier than just physical age alone.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 10:10:16 pm »
I have been a cartoon fan since about age 3 and my Mom said that I thought Bugs Bunny was a real person. When Bugs turned 50 and all the books and compilation videos were released--it turned out that many people actually wrote him fan mail. Some of the early Hanna-Barbera cartoons showed characters getting into animal costumes. I thought it would be great to have a full-body costume and be a living cartoon character. That was over a half-century ago. I seem to be realizing that childhood wish today--thanks to the internet--and the fandom.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:09:51 pm by Rocket T. Coyote »
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Fleeyock

• Species: Sheep
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 02:53:02 am »
Not a gray muzzle until the muzzle is gray. I'd say a couple of strands here and there doesn't qualify.

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 01:16:26 pm »
I'm going to toss another apple in the pie here.

If a person's fursona is elderly does that make them a greymuzzle?
Someone's fursona is an elderly grand master of a skill that is important to their story line. Or an old and wise wizard.

If this is an acceptable qualification then a graymuzzle could be,
The amount of time spent in the fandom.
Physical age of the fandom member.
Chosen age of the fursona.

Offline 9141702

• Species: Anthro Rat
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 02:23:44 pm »
I consider myself a greymuzzle at nearly 33, purely because I am literally starting to (just about) get a grey muzzle! The ol' "wisdom hairs" are starting to poke through in the beard.... so that's good enough for me!

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 09:45:47 pm »
I once thought that I might be the oldest fursuiter in the fandom. Then I was approached on FA by two others who are older still. One will be a GOH at AnthrOhio. Wish I could meet these guys in person.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:12:32 pm by Rocket T. Coyote »
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)