Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 2991 times)

Offline DutchWolf

Hello everyone!
« on: June 27, 2018, 07:19:28 pm »
Hello everyone!.

I am not quite sure where to begin, this is my first time i join up on a furry forum. so ill just tell a bit about myself and why i joined up here.

I have read Kobuk's Newcomer description and sort off all the other instructions over the net on what NOT to do and what makes a furry, so i really will try not to step on anyones toes/paws around here ;).

Currently i am 32 years old and living in the Netherlands. I am a guy and have no kids, girlfriend or boyfriend. I really do not judge others for deciding to settle down, but i really like my own space and time :).

I spend most of my working years in the Military, but i quit a few years ago for various reasons. so after a found a good job with an company i resigned from the Military and i am still very happy with my current employer.

My hobbies are PC Strategy Gaming, Modding PC games, Lurking over places with furry artwork,Travelling, anything Space related, and meeting new people to name a few.

Maybe its time to talk about why i signed up,

Ever since i was little i had a fascination with anthropomorphic animals. It basically started when i started reading comics and it continued from there with video games and other media. Especially after my family got their first internet connection and i could discover what was out there in the world.

..and after about 15 years and several computer's trough the years now my hard drive got a file on my computer with over 1300+ furry art....

I never talked to anyone in my life about anything related to this, and do not worry. I really do not plan to go all "coming all the closet" routine everybody hates, i really understand the frustration from furry's of people doing that. But all my years of just Lurking online stops somewhere right?.

So, i know about the conventions and the fursuits like pretty much everyone else. But beyond that i know very little beyond the forum posts from furry moderators or the youtube movie here and there. I never even talked with a member of the Furry community. maybe it sounds stupid and it sure is my own fault for never reaching out. but here i am now, better late than never :P.

I really love the suits and characters, but for now i am trying first to get a feeling of things and develop my interrests further.

So, do i think i am a Furry?. I definitely think i am!. but outside of that, my knowledge of the community is pretty much a big zero.

So, i am looking to make new friends here and if anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Just be prepared, i might ask away as well!.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:12:41 pm »
Hi DutchWolf
*wags tail*
I'm Jade Sinapu, and I am a German Shepard Dog with a bit of wolf mixed in.

In a little while the moderators will send you a nice message to welcome you, so get ready!

in the mean time I can keep you company...

I can tell you about myself and what furry means to me...if you don't mind.
I too am a guy, despite my name.   :-[
My name is from the fact that I have a Wolf Statue made of Jade (rock).  It means something to me and symbolizes my inner wolf.   I sort of wanted to change my screen name but I don't think that is easy.  ha ha!  so it stays.

Anyway.  I am sort of like you, in that I am 36, don't have kids, and live by myself.  that is mostly my choice but also a result of the fact that I consider my self demi-asexual. 

Never got into computer games, mainly because my family disallowed them.  :(  Never got into fun things like some table top games , again, my family was very restrictive.
But I am now getting more social, and having more fun in life partially because of furry!

I consider myself furry and a bit of wolf therian.  Which means for me, I personally feel that something in side me is actually connected to a wolf.  (You can read my intro, if you haven't already.)  Basically its spiritual, and just plain fun .

I was one of the ones who "came-out" to family (at my age?) about furry.  It didn't go well for me.  But for most people it seems to go okay. But I understand why you don;t feel the need to come-out.  Anyway, its just a hobby for most.  No need to come out about a hobby! 

The escape aspect of furry I like, also the art and stories.  The people are so kind, accepting and creative and so very strange!  Normal is boring to me, so Furry is awesome. Accepting people for what/who they are, is nice. Furry has a lot of that.  Much more than normal boring life.

The fursuits are nice to see, and dances are cool.  I never been to a convention, but I sure would like to, in a fursuit!  :)

I found furry late in life (statistically speaking) but I knew I was something different since age 8.  Once I found furry I was blown away.  people like me.  I wasn't alone!

So I am glad you made it!  And age means very little I am finding.  Only in that maybe the body can't work the same, but it in no way diminishes ones furriness. 
I believe that Furry is what you make it.  It is a fandom made by all of us.  By the art, stories, suits, poems, sculptures, leather work, movies, animations etc.

Mostly of all, Furry is a Community for me.  I hope you find that to be true too.

Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:37:45 am »
Welcome to furtopia DutchWolf.

Hope you have a nice stay.

"Tosses you a chocolate chip cookie of welcome "

Here are some introductory questions you can answer if you like:
Mind telling us how you happened upon our friendly community?
How long have you been a furry / known about the fandom?
Do you have a fursona? If so, what is it?
What interests you about the anthropomorphic (furry) fandom?

Hope you enjoy your stay! Be prepared for an onslaught of warm welcoming hugs and pounces from fellow members! If you don't want the hugs, just let us know and your wish will be respected! Click on any of the gold-colored links above or below for further information. ;)

We also have an IRC chatroom you may want to join. Just enter your fursona name and start chatting! If you need help on accessing the Furtopia IRC, please see this thread here: How to use an IRC client

Please take the time to read the Furtopia Forum Posting Rules. This is a PG rated “family friendly” forum. Please also take the time to post your topics in the most appropriate section - it will be greatly appreciated by all. If you have a question or problem, or if you need help with anything on the Furtopia forums, then feel free to contact an Administrator or Moderator via PM (Private Message) or use the Report to Moderator button found in every post. Please let the Admins and Mods handle any problems that arise. :)

Old Rabbit :orbunny:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:39:21 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline DutchWolf

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:14:59 pm »
Hi Jade!,

Haha you are right, judging on your name i would have indeed assumed you to be a girl. One would not think first you are referencing to the stone's name.

Oh i have had that issue also with screen names, ..not to mention my hand signature i use for official paperwork today. when i was 14 and had to "invent" one i made this retarded one. and now i am stuck with it.....*silent ghost voice* Forever!.....

I see!, good to hear i am not the only one not following the standard line of settling down with a family. I am sure you had your fair share of conversations too that started with "is it not time to settle down?". or "you never get lonely?". And when you make your point there is always those that look at you with an gaze like they hear something impossible to comprehend.

Honestly its the first time i hear someone around my age that does the same in the regard of living alone. Interresting.

Well my father was into video games, But my uncle took my mother's remark i already saw Aliens when i was 5 years old (because i kept sneaking to my mom's room to watch movies) as an excuse to introduce me to PC gaming. and not just one game, but it was DOOM. That's right, my uncle sat me down. gave me god mode, all weapons and infinite ammo and let me have a go. While my mother tought i was playing something along the lines of super mario.

Things went okay, i had no nightmares and never told my mom as my uncle made me promise to "never tell her about the cool game". But honestly, my path of depravity was already decided.

my town's school was this traditional christian school right?. And we had every week drawing classes. And i really liked Doom with the Chainsaw, shotgun and gore. And here i was drawing in detail scenes from Doom. My teacher had a meltdown when she saw my artwork, and my mom of course had to show up to explain. While i figured as a 5 year old i did nothing wrong, i put dismembered monster's, a blooded chainsaw and hellish scene's to the best of my ability with my crayons on paper.

After school, my mom took me and my artwork to my uncle that still lived with his parents to tell about something "serious". In pr essence of my mom's and uncle's parents. the drawing was laid on table, and my grandfather and grandmother could not control their laughter. After this, i was not allowed to play doom anymore. And my uncle introduced me to Dune 2. the first strategy game. I drew that too, but my teacher's where pleased with the change of artwork :P.

Sorry for the elaborate introduction of me into videogames.... my family member's where not neglecting, my mother just got tired of sending me to bed like 5 times a night unless i saw the movie and slept a full night after that. My uncle, well he was a big kid himself at that age.

Today i mostly play strategy games, and fiddle with their programming of them to suit my preference's.  i never really played tabletop games, the only one i can remember is Monopoly. I am a huge fan of warhammer 40K too, but i really do not have the patience to roll dice and take turns. I understand the deep level of gameplay and i respect that. but I am more the PC Real time strategy fan.

I know about therians, in the past i have spend some time on a site or two so i know what you are talking about ;).  my experiences on those places are almost an topic on itself. And my room upstairs where i sleep and game is full of wolf and werewolf stuff. Hell, at one point i even got a werewolf tattoo.
So basically i am the same in the context of feeling a connection with a wolf.
But my involvement in those community's mostly saw me as playing the devil's advocate in the sense i understood some people aversion to certain things in our society. But in an 21st century society that allows us to connect online, gives us supermarkets that are supplied daily, gives is functioning infrastructure and where emergency services are guaranteed you just can not have one without the other in society.

In my traveling i have been to places where having one lightbulb in a town was seen nothing short as a miracle, where the primary life concern was getting water from a place miles down the road. and hope you do not cross a local militia or crooked police officer on the way back to your home. That some things are a matter of perspective.

That said, There are also LOADS of things that could be different or improved. Like i said, discussing therian related topics are community's on themselves. :P.

I am sorry to hear your "came out" did not go too well. Honestly i sort of had practice with trying to explain people other things to give them another perspective on something. Some are open for that, some need some time to get used to it. And sadly some react negatively and even sometimes naive and short sighted.

People that you live with like friends, coworker's and family establish this certain idea/picture of what makes "you". They put you into this figurative "box" of how they expect you to be and even go as far to establish what morals and value's you have. even if you never told them. And when they are confronted with an total opposite of their belief's about someone it...in general...does not end positive in most cases.

I just know people got certain boundary's they are never willing to cross. For example my best friend, i can spend with him an entire night out back in the garden with an bottle of vodka laying in lounging chairs. Watching the stars and talking about the latest developments of space engines, projects, Mars colonization. the Status of the ITER Project in France until daylight comes. But, he will never ever touch the territory of otherkin/therian/furry's. And i accepted that, i feel our mutual history and friendship should not be limited to this one interrest of mine.

But as one of your interrests are science and engineering, you ever seen series The Expanse?. ;).

I Always accepted people for how they are myself. People should live their lives as they see fit, just like i live mine ;).

For myself, i guess its safe to say my preffences in the furry domain. you know how your friends deal with that?. *in a bar/club* "yeah, watch my girlfriend while i go to the toilet/get a pack of cigarettes".

An intelligent conversation about why you do not show interrest in girls around you, they are simply incapable to have with you. yet somehow when they get drunk they suddenly realize there is this 3 metre's safe zone around you where you viciously attack any male approaching your friends girlfriends.

me: "you let me babysit your girlfriend so you....".

Friend: "another pint of beer!".

me "ooohh!!".

did i mention i feel cheap sometimes? :P .

for myself, i eventually want to work out the character. and maybe the fursuit.

But for now i better learn fist from the ones that have been around in the community for a while.

@ old rabbit, i am sure that i will!. and thanks for the cookie! ;).

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 11:28:21 pm »
Welcome to the forums DutchWolf! :D

Have a Kit Kat!

Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 08:54:26 pm »
Hi DutchWolf, my responses are in color text below.
 :)

Hi Jade!,

Haha you are right, judging on your name i would have indeed assumed you to be a girl. One would not think first you are referencing to the stone's name.

Oh i have had that issue also with screen names, ..not to mention my hand signature i use for official paperwork today. when i was 14 and had to "invent" one i made this retarded one. and now i am stuck with it.....*silent ghost voice* Forever!.....

Yeah, i am known for my stupid choices in life.  I am the the one the universe uses as butt of jokes.  So of course I choose something stupid.  But one of my hobbies is rock and mineral collecting, and I thought that the Jade Wolf statue others would get the concept.  but yeah, I missed the point...it means something to me, but no one else gets it.

I see!, good to hear i am not the only one not following the standard line of settling down with a family. I am sure you had your fair share of conversations too that started with "is it not time to settle down?". or "you never get lonely?". And when you make your point there is always those that look at you with an gaze like they hear something impossible to comprehend.

Yep.. been there done that too...
Apparently it was my parents sole purpose in life to make sure all their children had 100 children each.  so when I basically said "I'm having dogs, not children" then flipped their lid.  which is slang for got really mad.  Its tiring to explain to "others" that only sometimes do I want to "settle down".  Its hard to explain to others that I am happy doing what I want, like building a circuit, working on a car etc...  In fact, when I am sad is when people prevent me from doing what I want, why I want, how I want to.   I am like a Vulcan from Star Trek, I only need "companionship" every 7 years for the Pon Farr.  interestingly its like a wolf which mates 1/year, and canine time is 7 years to each human year.......just saying....

Honestly its the first time i hear someone around my age that does the same in the regard of living alone. Interresting.
Ahh, well... i have met many engineers who are like me in that regard, i affectionately call them engi-nerds.  It can be hard some times.   Only sometimes do I require a friend at home, and I wish I had one now.  I once fell because of a bad back, and laid there for 3 hours unable to move or get to a phone.  ANYONE would have been welcome at that time.

I know about therians, in the past i have spend some time on a site or two so i know what you are talking about ;).  my experiences on those places are almost an topic on itself. And my room upstairs where i sleep and game is full of wolf and werewolf stuff. Hell, at one point i even got a werewolf tattoo.
So basically i am the same in the context of feeling a connection with a wolf.
Yeah, once I grow a brain an d figure out how to place images in Furtopia, we all can see my wolf junk, i too have much too much, arranged almost like a shrine/altar, although that is not its purpose.  I only consider myself a therian because of some strange happenings in my life.  I looked into a therian site only once, and it didn't suit me so I found Furtopia.  Now Furtopia probably wishes I was elsewhere  ha ha!   :-[

I am sorry to hear your "came out" did not go too well. Honestly i sort of had practice with trying to explain people other things to give them another perspective on something. Some are open for that, some need some time to get used to it. And sadly some react negatively and even sometimes naive and short sighted.
But as one of your interests are science and engineering, you ever seen series The Expanse?. ;).

Unfortunately, I am rather boring at times, and do not get to watch TV, streaming, or movies much.  I need to change that.
Yes, I came out to some family about furry, that went bad
Then stupidly I came out to family as demi-asexual, that went bad too.  not sure why.

Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Michen_S

• Species: Ghost cat
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 04:45:36 pm »
*yaaaawn* Mooom, let me sleep 5 more minutes... Uh, whah? Oh, sorry. I must've fallen asleep.

Welcome to the forums, fellow Dutchman. Snow leopard feral here. Artist, gamer, animal lover, music lover, Christian, furry(duh!), autist...

...Let's cut it short. If I listed everything we'd still be here next month. You're free to ask away, I trust the furry community in general.
Also you missed the furwalk in Someren last Saturday afternoon. 'Twas part of the Dutch Furcon 5 that happened last weekend, feel free to come next year! I'm expecting like 5 people there next year by now, one more doesn't matter much anymore at this point.

Offline DutchWolf

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 05:01:44 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Michen!.

Nice to see i am not the only Dutch one around!.

and i am sort of new to the community :P. so sorry for missing out on the furwalk in Someren. maybe next year ill be there. ill certainly keep it in mind. it is good to know its also close to home and not only in other countries.

Offline Michen_S

• Species: Ghost cat
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 05:34:38 pm »
Don't feel too bad, if you're that new to the fandom you could've only known there was a furwalk there 2 days, 0 hours and 49 minutes ago!

...See you around.

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 01:29:34 am »
Welcome to the forum, DutchWolf! Enjoy your stay!  (:
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 06:47:45 pm »
Welcome DutchWolf! I'm glad to see more furs close to my own age (31). You're a veteran, like travel, space, and you're interested in fursuits. I'll extrapolate that you like science and engineering from your comment on star watching with a bottle of vodka. It's almost creepy...

Hope to see more of you're nose around here (and the rest of you too)! :)
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline DutchWolf

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 06:21:11 pm »
Welcome DutchWolf! I'm glad to see more furs close to my own age (31). You're a veteran, like travel, space, and you're interested in fursuits. I'll extrapolate that you like science and engineering from your comment on star watching with a bottle of vodka. It's almost creepy...

Hope to see more of you're nose around here (and the rest of you too)! :)

Hi Varg!.

its sometimes a small world i guess haha. but yes you are right about that. It is fun to exchange views on the matters of science and engineering with a drink and people that are interrested in it too without any sort of pressure of time. Science projects wise there are so many on going developments you can talks hours about it. like i mentioned before ITER in France in regards of renewable safe energy. the LHC that is undergoing an upgrade to be more powerfull witch will bring itself more unique discoveries about matter behaviour in our universe. Its not that i myself got an actual degree in these fields, or understand everything of the science involved. but i try my best to read up on it. While i find a broad range of topics on science and engineering fascinating. i am closely following fusion power myself at the moment.

Not just for a clean source of powerfull energy generation on earth. but for sattelites and spacecraft too of course as this is an self-sustainable energy source once fired-up.

But i get off track maybe haha.

I am a Veteran. I did two combat tours to Afghanistan in 2006 and 2008/9 .  Since you are from around my age you went at least once to either to Iraq or Afghanistan with its massive requirement's for troops in the field. so i think its safe to asume that we both most likely seen the same out there :P.

No worries Varg, ill be around!.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 06:24:11 pm »
Welcome to Furtopia :) Hope you enjoy your stay.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline DutchWolf

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 07:05:57 pm »
Welcome to Furtopia :) Hope you enjoy your stay.

Thanks Loc, i will!