Author Topic: Mt. Hood cougar hunt  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
Mt. Hood cougar hunt
« on: September 12, 2018, 09:26:06 pm »
Have you guys heard the news? There was a lost hiker in the woods for a week. When rescuers find the body, they find out a cougar did it and now they will kill all cougars on site! All this for one dead hiker who wasn't aware of her surroundings. Tragic on both sides but all I'm going to say is that's natural selection just like with the max train killing people too. Sorry for sounding harsh but it's true. I just hope they taxidermy the cougars after all this, it'll honor their lives I think.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
Re: Mt. Hood cougar hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:25:50 am »
Yeah, I was worried people would overreact.
 Sorry to hear that.

I have hiked a trial once and knew I was being followed by a big cat.  I could feel something watching  me.  At a certain point in the trail I noticed a cache of bones.  Later I would see paw prints.  I was aware of my surroundings.  I knew what to do.  Noise was not going to work.  I had to be hyper vigilant and leave asap. I left.  Also my dog was with me and helped keep me aware.   But I also distinctly remember that creepy feeling, which I have had before in my life.   So did it help me? Anyway....

I respected the animal and left it's area.  Simple. Conflict over.

People have the same reaction to when a coyote eats a cat or small dog.  Never is it the humans fault, not is it ever good enough to say it's nature's way. Humans always want to change something to their way so it seems.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 07:40:01 am »
Yeah, I was worried people would overreact.
 Sorry to hear that.

I have hiked a trial once and knew I was being followed by a big cat.  I could feel something watching  me.  At a certain point in the trail I noticed a cache of bones.  Later I would see paw prints.  I was aware of my surroundings.  I knew what to do.  Noise was not going to work.  I had to be hyper vigilant and leave asap. I left.  Also my dog was with me and helped keep me aware.   But I also distinctly remember that creepy feeling, which I have had before in my life.   So did it help me? Anyway....

I respected the animal and left it's area.  Simple. Conflict over.

People have the same reaction to when a coyote eats a cat or small dog.  Never is it the humans fault, not is it ever good enough to say it's nature's way. Humans always want to change something to their way so it seems.

I wonder if blasting a round into the dirt would get it to go away. It might not know what a gun is, but prey typically doesn't sound like thunder.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 10:07:26 am »
Sure it would help, but I never saw it, and I don't have weapons.
Except bow &arrow.
I now carry air horn.
(Name that tune!)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 08:47:34 pm »
The thing with cougars is that you should not run away from one as that will trigger an attack. You should make yourself seem as large as possible when confronted. The big cat will seek a less challenging target.

A few years ago, I discovered a cougar in the woods during the firearm deer season, thanks to a trail cam image. The landowner was quite proud of that image and showed it to everyone he knows. His wife says she once saw the cougar leap from one side of the road to the other--without touching the pavement.

A local wild game cookbook features a recipe: Roast Shoulder of Cougar.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 04:25:56 pm »
It's deplorable when people overreact like this. With any kind of wild animal that you think might harm they best way is, as said above, to make yourself appear like the biggest, baddest threat it's ever come across. Pick up a branch and swing it around in the air. Jump up and down, make noise. Act as insane and crazy as you can imagine. Unless the animal is twice your size it's usually going to stand there watching you or it'll run off.

One person gets killed by an animal and suddenly all of the species has to pay? Such a tragic human reaction. :'(

How many times must we repeat the same mistake till we learn our lesson? How many witch hunts? Will we not be satisfied till we destroy all of the life the Earth has made? :'(
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 10:00:45 pm »
I was told to make noise with a bear and look big too, and not to back down and not to turn my back. I was told to walk back slowly while being big.

I was told to not worry about coyotes as they dislike humans.  And if they are acting strange, they most likely have pups near by.  Just be on your way.  same with other canines.

But I have been told to not run from a big cat, but also that acting big and scary is not very effective either.  I was told to just leave them alone.  Do not turn your back if you can.  I was told if you act big and let them get close that you are asking for trouble.   

Honestly, the animal I am most afraid of in the forest are people.

I have been shot at in a national forest.  I was not trespassing, as it was public lands.  It was not hunting season I think.
No non-human-animal has ever threatened to kill me just for walking.  Yet.

When you think about it, those animals are rather nice and beautiful people.  They let us walk through their living room, bed area, grocery store and child rearing area, all without much issue.

Try that with your neighbor who you do not know.  They will shoot you.  And no one will stick up for you. 
But we do that  to animals in their environment, and no one cares or thinks.

The arrogance of some people.

But still, there are many good humans too.

I think that one of the hardest things for a human to do, is to leave something alone.  Its unfathomable to some that things are at equilibrium WITHOUT their involvement.  It suggests they are not needed.

Why do I say this?  I am saying that when we walk into a remote forest, we are breaking equilibrium, and should be prepared for the  ripples we cause.  we are interlopers there. Things happen when you are invading territory not your own.  Animals have been preying on us humans since time immemorial.  Be prepared. 
Avoid loss of life, be it yours and/or the animals. 
(Name that tune!)