not-so-furry discussion > debate forum

Law suits due to greed or for loss.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Old Rabbit:
It is true there are people who feel honer means more than money. Used to be family honer
meant something. People killed each other in duels because of it.  Of course in many cases it was
as much about reputation as honer. Loss of a good reputation could cost you business or status.

I have heard of cases where those who immigrated to this country considered an accident to
be that and nothing more. Untill a lawyer told them they should sue. In some cases they still
refused out of personal pride.

Some people spend years trying to get rich from an unfortuant event, that was likely their
fault to begin with. They would do better putting the energy in to improving their lives by
working.

There are still people who do consider pride and honer above money, and think of family
honer instead of stealing or bringing shame upon them selves and family. We just don't
hear about them. Bad news sells better than good.. I have noticed the media showing
a bit of good news these days.. I hope they continue.

animagusurreal:
I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I think that without the monetary threat of lawsuits, corporations might not care about keeping up safety standards for employees and customers. On the other hand, as a retail employee, we have to constantly worry that someone will slip, and it seems like customers are no longer even required to watch where they're going. I've seen customers walk towards an enormous spill, right past a ring of 14 neon orange caution cones and three employees imploring them to stop. That seems kind of ridiculous. (The people I've seen don't even seem to be doing on purpose - they really don't see it! I sometimes suspect they're colorblind to the shade of orange that caution cones come in).

Old Rabbit:

--- Quote from: animagusurreal on May 26, 2016, 04:23:02 am ---I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I think that without the monetary threat of lawsuits, corporations might not care about keeping up safety standards for employees and customers. On the other hand, as a retail employee, we have to constantly worry that someone will slip, and it seems like customers are no longer even required to watch where they're going. I've seen customers walk towards an enormous spill, right past a ring of 14 neon orange caution cones and three employees imploring them to stop. That seems kind of ridiculous. (The people I've seen don't even seem to be doing on purpose - they really don't see it! I sometimes suspect they're colorblind to the shade of orange that caution cones come in).

--- End quote ---

I didn't say those who have responsibility for causing damage or injury should get off without
punishment. (Punitive damages)  Just that it shouldn't go to an individual any more than a fine
would. They should however have their losses paid. Which in these days can easliy add up to
tens of thousands of dollars or more.

I feel giving large sums of money to individuals incourages fraudulent claims. Such as purposely
jumping on a bus that just crashed, or falling down on purpose, or being stupid. Just to get a lot of
money.. Also lawyers stand to make large sums by getting up to 25% of a settlement. If it went to the
state like a fine they wouldn't get it either. It's a business, just watch how lawyers advertise. "We can
help you get the money you deserve. No charge unless you win."  They should say "We can get you the
money we both deserve"

animagusurreal:
Oh yes, I knew you didn't want them to get away without punishment. I'm just wondering if corporations would care as much if the numbers were smaller. (I mean smaller from the perspective of multibillion dollar corporations. I'm sure they would seem large to me regardless :) ).  But I agree, it does encourage frivolous lawsuits and it does seem like a racket for the lawyers to make money.

Kobuk:
Just saw this on the news. Give me a friggin break.  >:( Seriously? People are going to sue because they didn't get to see a football game? Cry me a river, people.  :P
http://www.tmj4.com/sports/green-bay-packers/nfl-hit-with-class-action-lawsuit-over-canceled-hall-of-fame-game

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version