Author Topic: Life risk for our Police.  (Read 6642 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Life risk for our Police.
« on: July 10, 2016, 12:28:53 pm »
First I want to say I support the Police, and look at them with
respect.

The area I grew up in was what many would call a protected
area. A rual small town that saw little violence other than a
drunk taking a swing at a cop.

So most of what I know is  what I have seen or heard about on the news.

That said it seems in the past the police didn't approch everyone with their gun
ready to pull or fire. Today it seems they feel they need to have the drop on those
they think is dangerous. Due tp race or ethnic background.

Unfortuantly Police are human beings wanting to survive and go home to their
family after work. No Robocops yet.. So they are going to be paranoid and afraid
at times.

The problem is Police work is dangerous, being a fireman is dangerous. A job that requires
you to take life risks. Not dumb risks, but calculated ones. I get the feeling that there has been
a basic change in how law enforcement risk is being taught today.

Seems there is the perception that the Police are going to be shot unless they shoot first. Any
unsolicited action or movment by the person they confront is justification to shoot them. If
they continue to wiggle or squirm shoot them again.

I fear giving the Police this option will cause more problems for law enforcement than it helps.
Perhaps fewer people will want to be in law enforcement if they percieve greater risk. I don't
know. Perhaps those that do will be more responsible.

I mean most any gunho type might like the idea of being able to shoot first and ask questions
later. Unfortuantly many of our Police departments end up with these kind of people to enforce
the laws.

The answer? I think communication would help. Getting to know the people they serve. Unfortuantly
due to population growth Police departments have to enforce loaws with fewer officers relative to
population.. So they have less time to serve the public and only enforce laws instead.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:01:44 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Re: Life risk for our Police.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 03:49:05 pm »
I watched the governor of Texas speech. What he said in a nutshell is "Let's do nothing about it.". He said what a wonderful state Texas is. How wonderful the people of Texas are. And glossed over everything else.

I to support the police. They do something I could never do.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 12:24:37 pm »
When people take the law into their own hands or retaliate against unwarrented shootings they make
things worse for everyone. With ambush attacks on Police they will be even more likely to shoot first
in a dangerous situation.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 06:59:10 am »
cops wouldn;t a shoor first mentality if we out two in a car at a time, they don't have to worry as much about a sudden attack. Also it;s a generally is a bad idea ti make war vets into police, when things get complicated they fall back on military training.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 01:01:44 pm »
I found the following on Facebook several days ago and thought I'd share.

... "It's not the police who need to be retrained, it's the public. We have grown into a mouthy, cell phone wielding, vulgar, uncivil society with no personal responsibility and the attitude of 'it's the other person's fault', 'you owe me'.  A society where children grow up with no boundaries or knowledge or concern for civil society and personal responsibility.
When an officer says "Put your hands up," then put your hands up! Don't reach for something in your pocket, your lap, your seat. There's plenty of reason for a police officer to feel threatened, there have been multiple assaults and ambushes on police officers lately. Comply with requests from the officer, have your day in court. Don't mouth off, or fight, or refuse to comply... that escalates the situation.
Police officers are our sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters. They're black, white, brown, all colors, all ethnicities, all faiths, male and female, they are us. They see the worst side of humanity... the raped children, the bloody mangled bodies of traffic victims, the bruised and battered victims of domestic violence, homicide victims, body parts... day after day.
They work holidays while we have festive meals with our families. They miss school events with their kids, birthdays, anniversaries, all those special occasions that we take for granted. They work in all types of weather, under dangerous conditions, for relatively low pay.
They have extensive training, but they are human. When there are numerous attacks on them, they become hyper vigilant for a reason, they have become targets. When a police officer encounters any person... any person, whether at a traffic stop, a street confrontation, an arrest, whatever... that situation has the potential to become life threatening. You, Mr & Mrs/Miss Civilian, also have the responsibility of keeping the situation from getting out of control.
Many, the majority, of law enforcement officers are Veterans. They've been in service to this nation most of their lives, whether on the battlefield or protecting us here at home. They are the only thing that stands between us and anarchy in the streets.
If you want to protect your child, teach them respect... for themselves, for you as a parent, for their teachers, for police officers. Police officers do not make the laws, they merely enforce them. If you don't like the law, be proactive in the political process. The police officer doesn't have, or want, the role of judge and jury.
If you get a speeding ticket... were you speeding? Don't blame the cop if you broke the law. Go to court, pay the fine, don't do it again.
It's easy to judge, it's harder to look within oneself and see what your role should be as a citizen, as a responsible person seeing both sides of the issue."

Also it;s a generally is a bad idea ti make war vets into police, when things get complicated they fall back on military training.

Agreed. Most, but not all, cops come from ex-military vets. To some, that might be a good thing. But it takes awhile for a military vet to re-adjust back to civilian life after being in the military. I have to wonder how many ex-military cops have PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) that might be affecting their police duties. If I were in politics, I would strongly sponsor a Bill to prevent ex-military individuals from becoming Police officers for a period of 1-3 years pending PTSD reviews and evaluations.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 12:46:41 pm »
It is true many people are disrespectful when confronted by the police.  Part of Police training
is dealing with being called anything but a human. Those who can't handle it usually are not
accepted. Unfortuantly small police departments sometimes get people that want to be in law
enforcement, but don't know how to handle the public or even care. One bad policeman can
cause poor public relations. Especially with minorities who often don't trust the police anyway.

Unfortuantly some people grow up never being taught to respect others in society much less
the police.

I think part of the problem is due to non communication. Many people never talk to an policeman
unless they break the law or due to a driving infraction. It would be nice if more people were
exposed to the police in a friendly arrangment. Get to know them. I have found most of them are
really nice people. They have a tough job, and deserve our respect, and a kind word now and then.

The police don't walk a beat these days, too much area to cover with too few policemen. It's
likely we will need more in the future.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 03:09:12 pm »
I heard about this story on FB yesterday, then decided to dig up an article about it.
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/aug/09/driver-24-dies-trooper-injured-in-head--1/#/

Then I read a post made by someone on FB who commented about the officer's actions. I removed a few words from the quoted text below.

This Morning, Arkansas State Trooper 1st Class Moomey hit a drunk driver head on, on purpose. The drunk was speeding the wrong way on the interstate, obviously posing a grave danger to others.
The drunk is dead, the Trooper is barely hanging on. What the trooper did was make a deliberate, informed decision to stop a threat despite a very low chance of survival for himself.
He quite literally put himself between innocents and a threat.
Cop haters are cowards that don't do jack ...... for anyone but themselves. They don't stop drunks, they don't help society. They don't protect innocents from criminals. They sure as hell don't keep a scene secure for me to do my thing.
This is why cop haters can ..........
You don't know service or sacrifice. Rot in hell, ..........

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:46:34 pm »
I'll be sure to share that one facebook post about the good that cops do for the general good.  Many people forget that cops often go to work everyday, and they have families and friends too, and they do this job not necessarily knowing what's in store or if they'll come home that night.  Its a dangerous job; far more dangerous than the majority of jobs that employ us in the country.  That's why they deserve respect for what they do everyday. :)

I think part of the problem is due to non communication. Many people never talk to an policeman
unless they break the law or due to a driving infraction. It would be nice if more people were
exposed to the police in a friendly arrangment. Get to know them. I have found most of them are
really nice people. They have a tough job, and deserve our respect, and a kind word now and then.

I agree with this too.  If people never see a cop in a positive light, they tend not to think of them as anything but negative because they know no different.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 10:01:19 pm »

My grandpa was a Policeman for 28 years. If I'm not too mistaken, he would spend times "walking the beat" so to speak. What that means is walking the streets, meeting people, visiting shop owners, etc.  Basically, just "getting to know" people. Nowadays, Police don't do that anymore, if at all. The only times you see Police walking the beat is in old tv shows or movies like ADAM-12, The Andy Griffth Show, or some other obscure series.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 08:49:48 pm »

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 12:21:54 am »
About 20 years ago, within a mile of where I grew up, a couple of shooters ambushed a pair of our local police. There is a park named for those slain officers near that very spot. I drive past it monthly.

Lately, I hear of civilians telling officers on duty, "I've got your back", when the patrolman is pumping gas or makng a routine stop. Not necessarily armed, but with the random assaults on LEOs--an extra pair of eyes is sometimes appreciated.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)