not-so-furry discussion > debate forum

Comparing EVERYTHING to the Nazis for political reasons

(1/6) > >>

animagusurreal:
A Facebook friend recently re-posted a picture showing a man's arm tattooed with numbers, with a caption that reads, "Back when I studied the Holocaust in school, I remember thinking 'how did Hitler get over 6 million people to follow along blindly and not fight back?' Then I realized I'm watching my fellow Americans take the same path."

I know this person's political affiliation, so I know which side she's implying is going to turn into the Nazis. However, I have seen people on both sides use it against the other. I'm aware that it's not impossible for America (or any country) to devolve into some sort of totalitarian nightmare. However, these Nazi comparisons are used so often - and again, by BOTH SIDES - that they lose all meaning. It strikes me as disrespectful (albeit unintentionally) to the victims of the real Holocaust to use their experience as a catch-all political scare tactic in the present day. Even if such a terrible thing were to happen here, it would probably happen in a different way. For one thing, we aren't less than two decades out from being a hereditary monarchy, as Germany was at the time. Any thoughts?

GrayWolf448:
yep iv noticed that people tend to compare many political things to Nazi Germany. it starts getting pretty old, with both sides throwing it back and forth.

Kobuk:
I have no problem comparing Trump to a facist Nazi. He certainly acts like one.  >:(  >:(  >:(

--- Quote ---For one thing, we aren't less than two decades out from being a hereditary monarchy, as Germany was at the time.
--- End quote ---

Huh? Care to elaborate on this?

Loc:
History repeats itself. People don't change. When someone starts using the same tactics to manipulate people, I have no problem comparing them to previous parties that did the exact same things. People should always question when an authority does things shady or outright harmful.

Foxpup:

--- Quote from: Kobuk on August 17, 2016, 09:53:52 am ---
--- Quote ---For one thing, we aren't less than two decades out from being a hereditary monarchy, as Germany was at the time.
--- End quote ---

Huh? Care to elaborate on this?

--- End quote ---
I don't think there's much to elaborate on. The German Empire rather abruptly became the Weimar Republic in 1918, for reasons which are fairly well-known. Though I'm pretty sure there's more to Hitler's rise to power than the German people not being used to this newfangled idea of having elections.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version