Author Topic: The "Good News" thread.  (Read 133074 times)

Offline Luna-tic

• I exist
  • Male
Re: The "Good News" thread.
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2012, 05:32:03 pm »
I finally did some actual work for money last week. I'm so proud of myself.

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #151 on: July 03, 2012, 06:52:46 pm »
Didnt die today from the heat wave crashing over the US.

Though I did die when I got in my car...
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline ElementalQuest

• Furfags for everyone!
  • Female
    • My dA!
« Reply #152 on: July 03, 2012, 07:49:35 pm »
I finally have some good news! I got new glasses today! And I found out that I'm slightly more nearsighted than I was a year or so ago!

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #153 on: July 03, 2012, 08:23:55 pm »
I got cake and $140 for my birthday today :D and it's not the end of the gifts >:3
Come find me! More to come!

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2012, 11:05:32 pm »
I passed my state certification exam in water treatment (written portion). I take the lab portion of the test in another week.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Psycho

• Toxicsauce!
  • Female
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2012, 11:34:35 pm »
Hey you remember that essay I wrote that I went all crazy about writing? (It was about what makes me, me.)

Got 95% (A+) on it, highest mark in 220 people.

CHAW! Now I can be proud of myself again!

On a side note... Perhaps I always knew (I don't like bragging about intelligence but I have to at least once, I took the older IQ test and I was 14 points away from being a genius.) my literature is well... Good? Perhaps I'm just afraid to show people the good things I'm capable of. (I think the problem is most of my peers can't even begin to understand some of the words and phrases I use in my literature. Fools!)

As an example, my major project... Of the day, was a group project, I wrote the speech and presented it (I did like 85% of the work).
Anyway when I presented my speech to my group members, All of them were confused with some of the words I used, which I honestly find a bit sad.... My vocabulary isn't complex.

Ah but you guys furs seem to be different, I spill my guts on you and you still treat me like an equal, and I had to use that metaphor because I was arguing with my roommate about intelligent writing being indirect a while ago, (I won) I don't have to spit my point right in your face. My literature is much more intelligent for the fact that what I write leads you into what I really mean (can you tell I've hidden several messages in this post?). You don't need to be spoon-fed information.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:55:31 pm by Psycho »

Offline Cirocco the Silver Fox

• Male
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2012, 09:24:43 pm »
I finally got to visit my Grandfather, on my mother's side, grave. I have a picture of it now, which is good because it'll be a few years before I get back out there most likely.
I chase the wind, but have no dreams of catching it.

Today is all we have - Personal Mantra

Offline Metalhead_Mockingbird

• Starting another intergalactic cold war.
  • Male
« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2012, 09:47:56 pm »
Got back from my Encampment today.

It feels so good to back in front of computers again.
"Noone can ever rid me of my arsenal of Megadeth, no matter what the peace treaties come to!"

Furaffinity
Steam
'360 GT

Avatar done by AlisaLeolfAlexandra.

Offline Rjgano

• I don't know what to put here. I thought I'd share
  • Male
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2012, 11:53:33 pm »
Good News Everybody! Everybody at work loves me now!
In these 400 characters, I will waste precious space with my uniquely typed letter Es EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline ArticShadow

• Female
« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2012, 11:55:32 pm »
-We got rain by my place yesterday, haven't had rain for a month and it was really hot out.
-I didn't die from the heat. (I were jeans and sweatshirts a lot.)
-My older sister is getting married.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:00:47 am by ArticShadow »
Icon done by FluffyFennecx3 off FA.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2012, 01:59:25 am »
I won a video game tournament today, and earned the title of "The fastest gun in the Midwest!"  (It has that printed on my certificate and everything!  Whoo hoo!)  To explain, I went to a wonderful Chicago-area classic video game trade show today called the Video Game Summit (VGS).  They had several video game tournaments there, including one featuring a selection Turbo Grafix 16 games, one featuring a selection of Atari Jaguar games, one featuring a selection of Atari 2600 "homebrew" games, and one, called the "Video Game Shmup," featuring a selection of popular side-scrolling "shoot 'em up" games from a variety of platforms including the Turbo Grafix 16, Neo-Geo, Super Nintendo, and others.  I ended up entering the "Shmup" tournament.  The games in the tournament included:

• R-type
  • Detana Twin Bee
  • Darius Twin
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Space Harrier 2
  • Ironclad (import)
  • Sky Kid

I earned my "Fastest Gun in the Midwest" title after achieving the highest score while only using one life in two of the games, R-Type and Ironclad.  I was the only person in the Shmup tournament to get the top score in multiple games, which is what got me the title.  The funny thing is that I had actually never played any of the video games that were in this tournament before I entered the tournament today.  Luckily I was fairly well versed in a similar side-scrolling shoot 'em up game, Gradius, so it appears that some of my experience with that game carried over when I was playing R-Type and Ironclad.

Now keep in mind that I am by no means a superstar video game player or anything like that-- VGS is a smaller classic gaming show, drawing somewhere around 100 people or so, and because of that I have a smaller field of competitors to play against compared to what I would face at a much larger event such as the Midwest Gaming Classic.  However, really small convention or not I was still the best in the room and won, so you can't blame me for feeling at least a little bit excited about it.  It's not like I win these often!  You can bet that I will be keeping that "Fastest Gun in the Midwest" certificate, and who knows, I may even frame it!  :D  Lord knows if I will ever be able to win one of these tournaments again in my lifetime, so I better enjoy the victory while it lasts!   :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:07:46 am by Hoagiebot »

Offline Magna

• Female
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2012, 12:04:06 am »
Not only have I recently commissioned my own personal suit, but thanks to having all my excess leave sold, I was able to buy a partially completed fursuit head! Yes, a second suit when I don't even have the first! :D It's a semi-realistic suit with a moving jaw, which is exactly what I wasn't able to find at a reasonable price with an open slot!

Linky: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/8387821/

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2012, 12:43:40 am »
Got paid $100 today for a job I did for free. I suppose that counts as good news.
-I still can't think of anything.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2012, 02:19:15 pm »
Found a vending machine at work that sells 12 ounce cans of Mountain dew and Mug root beer for 25 cents.   <3

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2012, 12:02:55 am »
Despite a major hiccup in the last week and a half at my supplier's plant, it looks like the three vehicle launches my parts are on will be finishing up here in the next week or so. Such a relief to have those done.

But that's not all. I was actually a bit nervous for this time to come around. I'm only working on contract right now, so I would be easy to let go. Since I tend to worry about things more than I should, I was afraid I'd be let go once these projects finish up. But last week, my boss talked to me, and once these launches are done, I'll be moving to another project in our group to help split work on that particular component. So at least I know I'll still be working when this current project is past this milestone!

Sorry for all the vague-ness. I don't want to go into too much detail on what exactly it is that I do. At least not here. I'd be more willing to share on the IRC, where things don't exist for all to see forever once said.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Kael

• Male
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2012, 01:26:31 am »
took IQ test... sry to brag a bit, but got 146... ranked in Genius status... "How do I get that and never get into accelerated classes?" "Homework. You always forget the homeworks..."

-Convo with myself
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2012, 05:05:06 am »
My daughter enjoyed her fifth birthday party.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Kael

• Male
« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2012, 10:47:26 am »
I didn't die... that's something

Offline Dusty

• Male
« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2012, 11:12:59 am »
I got my mark back for my honours literature survey, did pretty decently I guess.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2012, 05:35:11 am »
On Sunday while I was at the KARSFEST hamfest in Peotone, Illinois, my ticket number got called for a door prize!   :D  I ended up winning a $50 gift certificate for the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) online store!  I have been going to hamfests (a convention and flea market for amateur radio operators) for 17-years now, and I think that this is the first time that I have ever actually won a raffle door prize at one!  And I already spent my gift certificate too-- I bought three books with it, including:

Ah!  Books on programming microcontrollers, building low-frequency transceivers, and listening to the natural radio signals produced by the Earth itself!  What could be better reading than that!?

Unfortunately, many of the books offered by the ARRL are quite pricey, so $50 doesn't really go that far at their store as a result.  My gift certificate ended up only covering the cost one of the books plus a little bit of the cost of a second one, so I ended up paying for the other half of my order out-of-pocket.  But isn't that always the way when you get a gift certificate?  They never seem to ever quite entirely cover the cost of what you want to get, so it always seems like you have to pay something.  I swear, it's like there is some kind of a gift certificate conspiracy!  In any case a $50 discount is a $50 discount, so if I was ever going to get what I really wanted the time was now!

Oh, and if that didn't make my Sunday awesome enough, I also got to talk with Shim's dad for over a half-an-hour while I was there!  He goes to hamfests too as one of the vendors, and this is now the second hamfest in a month that I have had the pleasure of running into him!   :)  Now I just have to hope that I didn't accidentally say anything to Shim's dad that will ultimately end up embarrassing Shim!  There is only so long that a mad scientist like myself can act well, not mad in front of normal everyday non-mad people, and it is only a matter of time before I start ranting about my diabolical schemes!  But then again, some of my more crazy projects such as planning to build a meteor-tracking RADAR station in my parents' backyard would actually seem quite normal (or maybe even humdrum) to other amateur radio operators, so it is really hard for me to go wrong at a place like a hamfest!  :D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:37:29 am by Hoagiebot »

Offline Sk Skunk

• TANSTAAFL
  • Male
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2012, 09:58:33 pm »
This past weekend, I took a side trip up to Chicago, and attended the LAFF bowling night! Even ran into Shim, Hoagiebot, and Cimarron. It was great to see you guys again!  8)
"Who am I to say where my possibly non-existent soul has or has not been."

Offline Psycho

• Toxicsauce!
  • Female
« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2012, 12:34:33 pm »
Did my exams today, no more learning for about a month! xD

Might go on vacation.

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2012, 12:41:12 pm »
Sounds risky... you might learn something. Better to just sleep in.

Offline Psycho

• Toxicsauce!
  • Female
« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2012, 01:15:26 pm »
Summer only comes once a year, gotta do something with it.

Offline WhiteStorm

« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2012, 01:01:39 am »
I've had two summers in a year.  8)