Author Topic: How do u get ur own website into google searches????  (Read 5475 times)

Offline Siberian

• Nothing
  • Male
How do u get ur own website into google searches????
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:37:25 pm »
I have some websites and I was wondering how you got them into google searches???

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
Re: How do u get ur own website into google searches????
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:52:46 pm »
I believe it has to do with Metatags in the html header. Hopefully someone will be able to give more detail than that for you though.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:07:19 pm »
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)

How you design your website is one of the most important factors in getting high search engine ranking.

Let's go over some basics.

The <title></title> tag goes inside of the <Head> element. Whatever you put inside of the title tag is what will show up on title bar on most browsers as well as the tabs.  For example,  Furtopia forums index title is,  "Furtopia Forums! - Index."  Which is what shows up right next to the favicon in the tabs.

When you do a google search,  the title is also the thing listed at the top of each result in the biggest font.  It's what you click.

Your title is the single most important element for SEO.  It's one of the areas that bots will go to look for defining keywords for your website.

Keywords:

There are several areas in a website where it's very important to have good keywords.  Title is an example of such a place.  You want to make sure that your keywords are broad enough that your website can be found by someone looking for your kind of site,  but NOT so broad that you're competing with millions of other websites to hit the top.

For example,  if i was selling chocolate in Texas,  and had a website for my store,  i would include my city and zip code in the title.  Why?    Because if you type,  "Chocolate," into google you're going to have millions and millions of websites that show up before yours,  and you will never be able to fight your way to the top over See's candies and Hershey.  But if you have something like your zipcode or your city listed,  then you've become a lot more specific.  People looking for local Chocolate companies will find you.

Places where what you type is important:

Title,  H1,  H2, H3...   honestly everywhere affects it to some extent.  It's just these are more important than <p>...

Image file names:  Instead of labeling the picture of the cat you drew on your website,  "Catpic_39e73n.gif,"  Try stuffing in extra keywords like,  "Nameofyourwebsite_Furry_Anthro_cat.gif,"

All of these things stack up,  but it's VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE,  that you want to make sure not to repeat the same words over and over again.  If you create an H1 tag and fill it with,   "Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry Furry," and then hide it in your website by setting it's fixed position a couple thousand pixels off screen...

....YOU WILL BE BLACKLISTED.  Your website will either loose a LOT of ranking very quickly,  or will be entirely removed from google for a few months as a penalty.  This is called Blackhat SEO,   DO. NOT. WANT!

Meta Tags:

Metatags are slowly loosing their validity in google,  but i don't know much about other search engines like bing or altavista.

The <meta name="description" content="text"> tag still has a large impact.  After the title in a Google search result,  you will see a description of the website.  This is the meta description tag.  If you don't have this,  it will just find the first text on the website to put here...  but it's really a shame to let this go to waste because it has,  as I said already,  a large impact on SEO.  It's also important that you fill this tag with no more than 160 characters (which is Google’s limit)

The <meta name="keywords" content="words">  tag is now completely unused by Google.  Other search engines may use it,  but I wouldn't spend too much time on it.

Other things also affect your ranking:

How long your website has been up and on the same server.

How often your content is updated.  (this is why blogs and forums get very good ranking)

How many other websites link to your domain.

Whether you have clean URLs.  
(that is to say,  if your URL looks like:
Forum.website.com/thread-21-page-2.html     Search engines like that a lot better than:
Forum.website.com/GQERIQ4932223liubfweil2&iwn=21  )

How many different pages are on your website with a variety of content.  The more of both the better.  (again,  why forums and blogs get amazing ranking)

Does this help?      ^.^?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:30:36 pm by Alsek »

Offline huskybutt

• Furry Store
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:34:53 pm »
Also in addition to what Alsek has said, the way google ranks pages is quite interesting.  You want a high ranking so that you're not on page 323 of results when being searched on google and thus more people will view it.   

For example, websites with unique content(each time google visits them they are different) will get a much higher pagerank.  A lot of businesses accomplish this by having random reviews or snippets on their home page so it's almost never the same.  This way when someone searches google for something related, their website will be in the first page of the search. 

Also having a website with a high pagerank link to your website has a huge effect.  That combined with multiple websites linking to yours will greatly increase your rank. 

I'm currently taking a 400 level business class devoted to exactly this subject.  My professor got one of my websites a very high pagerank by adding rotating content on the home page and linking to it from his high ranked website: "dictionary.com". 
Check out my furry store  by clicking HERE 
T shirts, Stickers, Posters and More!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:14:01 pm »
It's also a good idea to use different spellings like "rabbit" "rabbits" or
"bunny" "bunnies" in your meta tags.

Don't spam words as said. Also don't try to hide spam either, the bot will find
them.. no matter the size or color..

Expect it to take a month or more for a bot to find your site.  I just now
found one of my drawings on google after a having it on my .com web site for
a month.

Don't have any broken links, and be sure you html is well done.  People
won't return if the site isn't easy to use..

It also helps to have many links from many other sites..  Sign guest books leaving
your web address there..

Good luck. :orbunny:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:15:57 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com