Author Topic: Your Favorite Thing About Furry  (Read 18035 times)

Offline bkatt500

• Female
    • My Deviantart
Your Favorite Thing About Furry
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:56:19 am »
What's your favorite thing about furry?  It could be about the fandom, the community, or just the topic itself.

For me, my favorite part would have to be that it's a creative rather than derivative fandom.  Furry isn't a fandom based around a single work, or even a specific genre or fashion, instead it's based on a preference or affinity for anthropomorphic characters.  There are few real set rules and no single agreed-upon universe or canon, which kind of gives any random grouping of fursonas and furry characters the appearance of an alien council.  A lot of the fans are contributors to the material available, it's very self-sustained.  For somebody like me, who enjoys creating original stories and universes, it's a great environment.  I'm not limited to a specific canon, so as long as it's consistent with itself, anything I want to make is possible.
<a href=http://bkatt500.deviantart.com/>Check me out on deviantArt!</a>

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
Re: Your Favorite Thing About Furry
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:38:27 am »
For me, my favorite part would have to be that it's a creative rather than derivative fandom.  Furry isn't a fandom based around a single work, or even a specific genre or fashion, instead it's based on a preference or affinity for anthropomorphic characters.  There are few real set rules and no single agreed-upon universe or canon, which kind of gives any random grouping of fursonas and furry characters the appearance of an alien council.  A lot of the fans are contributors to the material available, it's very self-sustained.  For somebody like me, who enjoys creating original stories and universes, it's a great environment.  I'm not limited to a specific canon, so as long as it's consistent with itself, anything I want to make is possible.

I'm going to go ahead and second this.  The only other fandoms I've experienced first hand are sci-fi and Star Trek.  The sci-fi fandom doesn't feel nearly as focused or cohesive as the furry fandom, because sci-fi/fantasy is such a broad category.  And the Star Trek fandom suffers terribly from being based on a copyrighted property that belongs to a corporation -- it's horribly stifling, and it's simply depressing to have the thing that you value controlled by the capitalistic whims of a company.  In contrast, I love the freedom and creativity that are possible in furry.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Arashi_Calunata

• Species: Solus Cat
  • That's what happens? Fascinating!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:15:44 pm »
Thirdeded.  Oh, and it's how I met my mate, so that's another thing to love about this fandom.
Artist by trade, Soldier by choice.

475 consecutive last stands. Funny how that happens, huh?

A 'Solus Cat' is my evolution on my older species, the Hreldren. But better.

Offline werecat2012

• Male
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:31:13 pm »
People on furry forums seem on average more open-minded, creative, accepting of other people's differences and friendly than people on a lot of the other Internet forums I've been to.

That, and I like animals and the idea of anthropomorphic animals, which is what brought me to a furry forum in the first place.

Also, I agree with those who said that a fandom built around an "idea" (like anthropomorphic animals) is more exciting than a fandom built around a single story or series that is owned by a corporation.

As for real life furry, I actually have no experience there yet. Saskatchewan (where I live) is almost as big as Texas, yet as a population barely over one million. There is actually a Saskatchewan furry Internet forum (SaskFur). However, most furry events seem to be in Saskatoon, the Battlefords, and other places that are way too far away from where I live. For all I know, I could be the only person in the Yorkton area interested in furry and who also participates on Internet forums.

Offline Tristan Thilorn

• Male
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:57:24 am »
Thirdeded.  Oh, and it's how I met my mate, so that's another thing to love about this fandom.

Fourth'd.

Specifically, for me, it's a nice 'starting off' point when meeting new people. Sure, the same could be said of specific interest-specific venues (for example, of a particular film or television program)... but fandoms come and go.

Anthropomorphic characters (and fur fandom, by proxy) have always been a constant for me; more or less.

Plus, the fandom is so broad, and there are so many people that are a part of it. I never know whom I may meet next through one furry venue or another. It adds a nice element of variety to my life (at least, in a social sense).

Last.fm Tumblr SoFurry Weasyl

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:46:51 pm »
I love being a Furry!!! Its fun because my sister is a furry also and mostly my whole family is.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:43:47 pm by Amducious »
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Wereaibo

• Species: Nightmarish animatronic animal
  • Straight from the Uncanny Valley
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:17:10 pm »
Fandom based around things like movies, cartoons or comics usually turn stupid. I'm not saying it's stupid as a concept, I'm saying that any any group dedicated to a specific TV Show, movie, book, cartoon or character you always tend to get a few power mad nutjobs that think they're better because they know more about the subject or have been in the fandom longer. Then you get the people who just get a kick out of being jerks and putting others down. Fandom. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I haven't seen a lot of that in Furry Fandom. People are usually accepted with open arms and power tripping is rare. And since Furry is based more on an idea or theme rather than some work created by a single author then people are free to have their own ideas of what Furry is and what it means to them. As long as you stay in the realm of anthropomorphic critters your're golden.
You humans need to refine, alter, corral codify and measure things yes? Very well. I shall use your wristwatch to count out ten of your seconds. I suggest you use that time to run. For at the end of it I shall come for you and I will catch you and we shall measure the duration of your death... In screams.

Offline Scarlegs

• Hey...Hey kid.....Wanna buy a dishwasher?
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 03:50:46 am »
I love the art and how friendly everyone is :D
We are all equal here! ;)
I also enjoy the writing(Like 'warrior cats' etc.) (:
We're open minded and are very welcoming and excepting!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:52:16 pm by Scarlegs »
FF FFD3adm A+ C- D H++ M+ P++++ R- T+++ W Z- Z- Sf-- a- e- f++ h* i++ p++
Here is my DA http://scarlegs.deviantart.com/
#A38CF3 < Just a reminder!

Offline flatout442

• Male
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 04:30:38 pm »
I like how everybody is independent and welcoming and open-minded. That would probably be my favorite part about the community.
One simply does not exist without bacon.

Offline Kasuni

• Species: Ocelot/Wolf
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:57:08 pm »
the artwork. with the real meaning of furry being anthropomorphic things, there are so much furry stuff. there is drawing a certain character. there are movies and TV shows that are furry.

plus there are some really great artists. I know im not the best, but my art had really improved since I became a furry. then there are others who have been drawing for years which their art is amazing!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:59:20 pm by Night Stalker »

Offline Keo

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:24:17 am »
The artwork, the community, the open-mindedness, the friendliness and its concepts are relatable to some things more deeper to me.
Can't say for anymore, I've only really participated in the internet end for about a month - but I look at / download furry art all the time, participate in furry websites (for example this one) and read/view furry comics, etc. I think the only part of the fandom/community I don't personally like is the NSFW end of it.

Offline Acheron187

• Hooves rock!
  • Male
    • MLP Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 08:34:15 pm »
The art, stories, and the RPing. My big three loves

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 01:30:51 am »
Being able to act like your fursona.

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 07:07:25 pm »
I love the creativity within the fandom. Like Uncle Kage said, everyone in the fandom is a creator in one way or another. And that is very true. If you spent the time and talked to any number of furries, you'd find this out fairly quickly.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 06:11:29 am »
Well, you people are really nice, almost too much so... and i really enjoy the RPs too.

Offline Sergalicious

• Species: northern sergal
  • I need some snuggs pretty bad now...
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 01:16:00 am »
the openness, the art and the community mostly.
I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts...
You are someone else
I am still right here

Offline Fal

• Racing Dragon
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 08:36:59 am »
I love blue!

Getting back to seriousness, I love this fandom because it's so open, and just generally the nicest one out there. :)
Happy Dragon, Sleepy Dragon, Hungry Dragon *licks lips*

Offline Plantan

• Species: The only Collie, Sugar Glider, Raccoon Hybrid
  • The sun is gone, but I have a light.
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 09:09:55 pm »
My favorite thing about the fandom I'd have to say is how little and much you can have in common with a person at the same time... Because you can have completely different interests and yet have things to say because there's one big thing in common... Idk if that makes sense but it did to me..
Inactive Here- Add me on Discord if you knew me in my active years on the forum :) - plantan0615

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 09:50:38 pm »
 the diversity creativity really cool peoplez
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Avor

• Male
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 03:36:21 pm »
Favourite part is the smut, sorry, it just is.

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 01:09:09 pm »
Favorite thing about the furry fandom is about the same as the with the cosplay community only the furry community also has floof which is never a bad thing but I like the huggles and nuzzles, the randomness, and the everyone weird in there own respect which makes everything in it awesome :D
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 09:41:20 pm »
Fursuiting and pawpetry.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Wrangell

• Male
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 12:46:34 am »
The art and the people who make up the community! I feel that furries are very open and will express there true feelings and I love this! Also like what Aloneness said, it's the only group of people that you can huggle others and it's perfectly fine :D
Keep Smiling

Offline Remley Bishop

• Species: Hooded Rat
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 02:55:22 pm »
For me, there are two things:

One is that furry is a sort of "Meta-genre" that basically encompasses so many different genres that have furry characters involved.  You see Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Horror, Mystery, you name it.  I have very eclectic tastes and it's great to see so many different works from the same fandom, keeping me interested, while at the same time having cool anthropomorphic characters!  ;)

The other thing has to do with what attracted me fully into the fandom years ago:  Role playing.  Now other fandoms have role playing of course, but anything based on a particular intellectual property has the issue of needing to know a lot of details to make an original that fits into the background.  With Furry being so open, and not tied to anything in particular, you can introduce original characters without question, as  detailed or not  as you desire, no one ever questions or criticizes (unless asked).  If I were a Trekkie, I could have my own character, and go around to a convention in a star feel uniform, and talk Klingon or what have you.  But to get all the details right would take more effort than what I would consider fun.  Maybe no one would care if I didn't put any effort into it, but I would feel stressed that someone might care and hassle me as being a pretender.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 03:39:49 am »
for me what i like about furries is just the idea of anthro characters. for as long as i can remember i always wished that i was a furry/anthro and that there were others in the world. but sadly that wish still hasn't come true.