Author Topic: What would be your daemon?  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
What would be your daemon?
« on: September 06, 2020, 01:17:18 pm »
I've been recently watching the new Season 1 HBO series His Dark Materials which is based on the fantasy book trilogy of the same name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials

In the books and tv series, a person's soul/spirit exists outside of their body in the form of what's called a "daemon".
These daemons usually take an animal form such as bird, cat, dog, reptile, mouse, or some other animal. They are also able to talk.

From what I understand, a child's daemon will "shift" from one animal form to another, but will eventually settle into a single form as the child grows up and becomes an adult.

If you were a child in the series, what do you think your daemon would be? What forms would it change in to?

As you grow older and become an adult, what animal form would you hope your daemon finally settles into?

EDIT: You cannot pick hybrid or fantasy type creatures like unicorns, dragons, etc. as those types of creatures do not exist in His Dark Materials universe.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 10:43:18 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: What would be your daemon?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 10:40:45 pm »
If you were a child in the series, what do you think your daemon would be? What forms would it change in to?

As you grow older and become an adult, what animal form would you hope your daemon finally settles into?

Since nobody else is answering/posting, I'll answer my own two questions.

For the first, I liked a lot of animals when I was a kid. Lions, tigers, parrots, and a few others. But I think having a large animal like a lion or tiger to be a child's daemon is a bit extreme. I'd probably settle for a parrot as I've always liked those colorful birds. I'm not sure what other forms the daemon would shapeshift into during my childhood.

As I become an adult and my daemon settles into one form and stops shapeshifting, I'd hope it would settle into an Alaskan Malamute. :)

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 03:23:24 am »
As a child probably a dog or maybe dragon
As an adult a wolf.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 09:46:19 pm »
Speaking from experience...
Shifted between wolf, coyote,  fox,  dog,  back to wolf as a child. Sometimes I could fly over a forest like a bird.   Stayed a wolf for ages.
Last dream etc I had,  I was wolf still.
Recently no dreams of such.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)