Author Topic: What makes a story "furry"?  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Fuyurin

• Female
What makes a story "furry"?
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:35:02 pm »
I really hope I'm posting this in the right forum. If it isn't correct, just boop me on the nose.

So, y'see,  I've been tinkering with story ideas to become a published author, but I've hit a tiny snag on semantics as I look into publishing furry stories. What...exactly makes a story furry? Is it just characters that are anthro that makes the grade? Or is there a more defined list of requirements? I'm sure there might be differing opinions, but I'd like to hear them. Thanks!

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
Re: What makes a story "furry"?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 10:45:22 pm »
I've never published any furry stories, so this is just my opinion...I think as long as it focuses on some sort of anthropomorphic animal character, it's furry.

DA         FA

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:47:34 am »
in my opinion a story is only called a furry story if it's the author's decision. if the author did not make that decision/label then it's just an anthropomorphic story 
i view the whole furry thing as a sub section of the anthropomorphic fandom, and someone, or their artwork is only furry if they decide to label it as a furry story. to me letting them make the decision if they want to be associated with the fandom would be respectful instead of just throwing labels. 

for ex: two kinds. the story it self may contain many anthros but i do not consider it a furry story due to the author not stating it is one, and actually stating that he isnt a furry.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:42:59 am »
To me a furry story needs to be about animal characters. They don't have to be humanoid to
be anthropomorphic. Its best if they can at least talk and think like us. A story in narrator form
telling the adventures of natural animals works too.

As with most good stories. Write about something you enjoy. I have read that when a writer
tries to please others their stories suffer quite a bit.

Don't forget the rewrites, all good writers go over their stories with a fine tooth comb so to
speak. So write quickly then tidy it up later. Of course a good outline of your story idea is
always good too.

Good luck.  Oh by the way. Amazon offers to sell ebooks for anyone online. So when your
story is ready check it out. It's a easy way to get published, and perhaps make a little
money too :orbunny:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:02:43 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:48:26 am »
If the characters are anthropomorphic animals (animals that behave as humans would, walking and talking with human mannerisms but clearly an animal in form) then that's a furry story.

As to the content and direction of the story, that's up to you.

I suggest you visit the Furry Writers' Guild if you wish to learn more about writing specifically for the furry fandom; they have a lot of great tips for writers--http://furrywritersguild.com/

(:
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Talia Garrison

• Species: Zoruark
  • I'm a trickster
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 04:33:13 pm »
Doesn't that make a lot of stories furry? People may try to deny it but furries have been apart of entertainment for  what seems like forever. I mean look at tom and jerry, I would call that technically furry.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 10:22:20 am »
Doesn't that make a lot of stories furry? People may try to deny it but furries have been apart of entertainment for  what seems like forever. I mean look at tom and jerry, I would call that technically furry.

Sure, stories of animal characters with human thought and speech have been around
for hundreds perhaps thousands of years. Aesop's fables, Grimms Fairy tails, Peter Rabbit,
and others.

Anything, even inanimate objects can be anthropomorphized in stories. Of course we generally
think of animals with furries. :orbunny:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:54:08 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Fuyurin

• Female
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 05:32:32 pm »
Thanks a ton for the tips, encouragement, and your opinion. It was all incredibly helpful!

Offline flotts

• Species: Feline, kinda
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 05:16:45 pm »
My story has nothing to do with the fandom, but the main character, at some points (long story), is an anthropomorphic animal. I think it fits in a furry discussion, so in my opinion, if it has furries, you can call it "furry". :)
~F

Offline Literate Lycan

• Species: Gothic grey wolf
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 03:07:12 am »
This thread hasn't been active for a while but I'm hoping I can spark it back to life and get your collective thoughts.

My question: Can a story be considered furry if it features as a main character someone who is or finds his way into the furry community?

I'm bouncing around a couple ideas in my head, one a short story and the other a longer work. They're two different plots but both have as a protagonist someone who is in the furry fandom, and their involvement in the fandom is a central element in the story.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

"All stories are about wolves..." -- Margaret Atwood, "Blind Assassin"

Avatar by Blitzy Arts : www.blitzy-arts.weebly.com

FA: www.furaffinity.net/user/varek-wolf
Twitter: @VarekWolf

Furry code: FCWh3a A- C D H+ M- P- R+ T W Z Sm- RLGP a+++ cm+ e+++ f h++++ i+ j p+